Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to adjust for WOT?

C3 4ME

Corvette
1979 Black L-82 4 speed
I stuck a brick on the accelerator pedal and my 79 is not getting WOT. I can't see a way to adjust it. Can anyone tell me how? It has the stock cable setup.

Thanks
Pete

WIDE OPEN THROTTLE

C3 4ME,
If your pedal is pegged and the carb isn't all the way open, I would think you need to adjust (bend) the pedal rod so it has more travel. Any other 'adjustment' to linkage/cable would probably also affect the idle. Just my opinion.

Craig

I would not make any adjustments until you actually find a helper to press the pedal to the floor

WOT = wide open throttle

Have you changed the carb?? or is this been this way for a while?? Butterflys hitting anything??/ Can you Open the carb up without the linkage hooked up?? If you can , then it is the linkage adjustment then. Maybe some put a 2x4 under you gas peddle so you won't get a ticket!!

Pete, if you can give me a day or two (or three), I can likely get you an exact response. I had the same problem on my factory QJet. It has since been fixed. I just have to go back and look at it again so I can describe it to you. (I'm at work right now.)

Choke

Also, make sure your choke is open. There is a link that prevents the secondaries from kicking in. My hunch, though, is that your cable is stretched. Did you change to an aftermarket intake? You may need to get a kit from Summit Racing that allows you to adjust your throttle cable and kickdown cable positions. If so, please post and I can let you know the part number-I have a couple of spares at home.

Rick
:gap

This is a low tech fix but it worked for me. I also noticed that with the gas pedal to the floor I was not getting WOT. After fiddling with the cable for a while I just grabbed the medal rod that the gas pedal is mounted to and bent it up about two inches. Now WOT is reached well before the pedal reaches the floor. I figure after 30+ years the rod just got bent with normal use.

Ok, I'm late to the party, but thanks for the replies. I have the stock Qjet, and intake. everything the linkeage is stock. I'm driving the car to work tomrrow so I'll get someone to mash the pedal to double check.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom