Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! How to adjust tps

JOHNNYB

Corvette
1989 DARK MET. BLUE COUPE
I was wondering how to adjust tps sensor:) mine is really loose and it making car idle high.
Thanx

First step would be to make sure both bolts can be tightened, otherwise the adjustment won;t last. If you observe the way that the TPS operates, rotate the body to get the lever almost to the starting end of its range of motion. Thats just a guess but it will be close enough until a voltmeter can be used to set it to spec. When a meter is connected on the top and middle wire in the 3 wire plug, set it to a reading of 0.55v idle. Lock down the 2 small TPS mounting bolts.
Idle should self adjust after that unless there is some other issue, like vac leaks or timing.

boomdriver;1018931[B said:
First step would be to make sure both bolts can be tightened,[/B]]F otherwise the adjustment won;t last. If you observe the way that the TPS operates, rotate the body to get the lever almost to the starting end of its range of motion. Thats just a guess but it will be close enough until a voltmeter can be used to set it to spec. When a meter is connected on the top and middle wire in the 3 wire plug, set it to a reading of 0.55v idle. Lock down the 2 small TPS mounting bolts.
Idle should self adjust after that unless there is some other issue, like vac leaks or timing.

I THINK THE PREV. OWNER MUST CHANGED TPS AND LOST SCREWS AND REPLACED WITH REG FLAT HEAD THAT STRIPPED THREADS ON TB:pukeANY THOUGHTS?

You also might be able to repair the threads by using a thread insert.

I use Timesert brand inserts when repairing threads.

THere are several automotive/aviation grade machinable epoxy products out there, check with a machine shop that does aluminum head repair, helicoil, timesert...

Charlie

Is the TB made out of aluminum? If so, you can use a low temp brazing rod like HTS-2000. Braze, drill, and rethread.

I got one of those TPS wire harness kits that let you hook it up to a multimeter. Alot easier than trying to back prob.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom