Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: How to change spindle?

JOHNNYB

Corvette
1989 DARK MET. BLUE COUPE
I JUST FOUND THIS SITE YESTERDAY AND I LOVE IT.:upthumbs I WAS WONDERING HOW TO CHECK AND OR REPLACE REAR SPINDLE IF NEEDED?

THANKS

I JUST FOUND THIS SITE YESTERDAY AND I LOVE IT.:upthumbs I WAS WONDERING HOW TO CHECK AND OR REPLACE REAR SPINDLE IF NEEDED?
You have to remove the big nut on the hub

Image2.jpg

and the halfshaft so you can remove spindle from rear of carrier
Image1-1.jpg

Great Pics !

This job is 100 times easier if you take the half-shaft out. I had missing torx bolts that we replaced with grade-8 hex-heads. Now is also a good time to replace u-joints in the half-shafts.

Half shafts??

I just did all my hubs. It might have been a little easier if I had taken offf the half shafts, but I didn't do that. Still worked.
Good thing you discovered the missing bolts!! You've only got three to start with.
I wish someone would explain to my why they have to use Torx anyway. Allen bolts are just as strong, imho. Torx just means one more set of tools I need in my crowded tool chest.

I just did all my hubs. It might have been a little easier if I had taken offf the half shafts, but I didn't do that. Still worked.
Good thing you discovered the missing bolts!! You've only got three to start with.
I wish someone would explain to my why they have to use Torx anyway. Allen bolts are just as strong, imho. Torx just means one more set of tools I need in my crowded tool chest.

I HEARD THAT THEY USE THE TORX TO DISCOURAGE THE BASIC DO IT YOURSELFER FROM WORKING ON THE CAR;shrug

WHAT??
Do not listen to whoever gave you that information.
Torx bolts are used by many makers and mosts time I see them, they are in tight spaces.
Easier for DIY'er to fix. :D

Helphos,
Ya know....2 of the 3 were gone and the 3rd was loose. How this happened, I have NO idea!
That hub is the original as far as I know, with close to 250,000 miles on it.The bearing was not horribly loose, but I did not want to risk it so I replaced both rears. The opposite side got replaced around 180K, several yrs ago.That was a cheapie for under $100 and it lasted a good 70 to 80,000 before I could get a little wiggle from the 12/6 o'clock shake. The fronts are just now getting enough slack to feel. Tomorrow the new steering rack goes in and we'll do a good check of all the front joints etc..
I keep the suspension and underside cleaner than the inside, and always sprayed silicone on the bushings and over-greased the zerks. I have seen how dirt and grit accellerates wear even on sealed bearings like these hubs. Why I had bolts fall out....I dunno. I remember having to go 4 wheeling to avoid a collision and whacking a little water run-off type curb but I've never seen something like that shake bolts loose. Usually the only thing curb climbin shakes loose is the cash from my wallet at the alignment shop...

What i DID learn is that you can replace the torx with grade-8 hex heads and you can still use a socket on them with the half-shaft in place. I am sure that allens would also work well with a long bit. They only torque to around 65 lbs...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom