Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to eliminate AIR Pump system on 1990 Vette L98 Engine

DonB

Corvette
2019 ZO6 in Elkhart Lake Blue
Hi everyone. I am rebuilding the engine in my 1990 Vette. It is the L98 engine. I'm pretty much keeping it close to stock using the factory EFI and distributor. I'd like to completely eliminate the air pump system and all those ugly tubes and hoses. I'm also considering plugging off the EGR too.

My question is,.. What do you do about the computer connectors that go to the AIR pump regulator and the EGR sensor block under the TBI? Won't they register a fault code if I just don't connect them?

Also, if I was to install headers; where would the O2 sensor go?

I'm 61 years old and the last engine I built didn't have any of this "stuff(B.S.)" to deal with.

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks, Don

My '85 already had all the hoses disconnected when I got it.
The pump itself was rattling like crazy, so I took it apart, dumped what was left of the vanes out and put it back in.
Not sure about any eletrical connections, but I'll check when I get home.
Regarding headers, the O2 sensor is in the front Y-pipe so you could put in block huggers without a problem.
Personally, mine has a carb in its future. Then just toss all the complicated crap that doesn't work anyway in the trash.

My question is,.. What do you do about the computer connectors that go to the AIR pump regulator and the EGR sensor block under the TBI? Won't they register a fault code if I just don't connect them?
The EGR will set a code so you'll need to leave it plugged in. AIR pump doesn't have any fault codes related to it that I can find.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom