Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to Get Gas in a '69

Silverfox1

Corvette
1995 Red ZR-1
I just got my '69 350/350 Silver/red coupe. Went to get gas & found myself looking at that big hole into the gas tank. Never even thought about it before, but the standard gas nozzle was way too small to make a seal to allow gas to be pumped. Tried to slide back the rubber on the nozzle & finally found one that would work at the 3rd station.

So my questions are: what is everyone else doing? And is there some kind of filler adaptor that will allow for the use of the standard nozzle to make a seal?

Thanks!:w

You must be in California. Here in Kansas very few of our gas dispensers have those condoms on them. ;LOL

I just got my '69 350/350 Silver/red coupe. Went to get gas & found myself looking at that big hole into the gas tank. Never even thought about it before, but the standard gas nozzle was way too small to make a seal to allow gas to be pumped. Tried to slide back the rubber on the nozzle & finally found one that would work at the 3rd station.

So my questions are: what is everyone else doing? And is there some kind of filler adaptor that will allow for the use of the standard nozzle to make a seal?

Thanks!:w

Yeah, I live in The Peoples Republic of California, but at least we can drive our cars year round. :chuckle

You could get yourself a large piece of flat aluminum.
Drill a hole in it big enough for the nozzle of the gas pump to fit thru.
Cut the plate small enough to get into the gas hole but large enough to
fit over the "filler neck". Keep the plate with you, and when you need gas
just put the plate over the "filler neck" insert the nozzle, and pump away.
Put the plate back in the car when done.
Andy :w

You could get yourself a large piece of flat aluminum.
Drill a hole in it big enough for the nozzle of the gas pump to fit thru.
Cut the plate small enough to get into the gas hole but large enough to
fit over the "filler neck". Keep the plate with you, and when you need gas
just put the plate over the "filler neck" insert the nozzle, and pump away.
Put the plate back in the car when done.
Andy :w

Makes total sense. I made the plate tonite & will try it out in next few days - will let you know. But those of us in California gotta be using something a little more sophisticated than this..I hope. Thanks Andy :thumb

Rob

This is not difficult, people.

I've owned my 71 since before California had evaporative emissions controls on gas pumps and have lived thought it.

All you do is catch the edge of the end of outer part of the evap. control nozzle on the edge of the filler neck and push down far enough that the pump will start. You do not have to have a complete seal on the filler neck to enable fuel flow from the pump.

Having a proper seal between the outer part of the hose nozzle and the filler neck is not what actuates the pump. It's pushing the outer part of the hose nozzle back far enough that kicks the pump on.

This is not difficult, people.

I've owned my 71 since before California had evaporative emissions controls on gas pumps and have lived thought it.

All you do is catch the edge of the end of outer part of the evap. control nozzle on the edge of the filler neck and push down far enough that the pump will start. You do not have to have a complete seal on the filler neck to enable fuel flow from the pump.

Having a proper seal between the outer part of the hose nozzle and the filler neck is not what actuates the pump. It's pushing the outer part of the hose nozzle back far enough that kicks the pump on.

Thanks, Hib. I had a feeling it couldn't be all that complicated. :beer

Rob

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom