Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Important! How to improve performacne for 87 vette convertible

marinucci

I am looking for some help in cyberspace. I bought an 87 vette with a automatic 350 engine..i have flow master mufflers, throttle body spacer and gutted the catalytic converter to improve horsepower. I wanted to know how i could get more horsepower without any major changes to the engine. What can be done less obtrusively. I dont want cam...or anything that will change the stock appearance with big pipes hanging out. Maybe new fuel injection perhaps?

Desperately need help

thanx everyone

Long tube headers and freeflow exhaust most recommended 1st bolt on for L98's

Modifications
Mod Advice for L98 and LT1s

TB spacer does nothing on injection cars

. I dont want cam... Maybe new fuel injection perhaps?
You are working within the limitations of the stock engine.
A aftermarket intake gives better breathing that would be limited by the stock wimpy cam.
Yes you could do it but would be leaving Hp on the table without doing a cam swap to optimize the results
Engine is a package that need complimentary parts to work properly

Lot of Money.
Lot of patience.

Power Improvement

I just fitted a wet nitrous system about 3 weeks ago to my 87' convertible with 88000miles. It's a huge increase in power. It was a real easy job too..everything came in the pack. I started with 75hp jets and worked up to 125hp. I cut the mufflers off completely too. Most forums say 125-150 shot is safe but that always depends on the individual engine I guess...But like Rod says..headers are probably 1st on the list.

The NOS kit was under $600 here in Australia so I guess it will be even cheaper there. It's a cheap, easy way of increasing power without any major modifications.

A gear swap will surprise a lot of folks, even some C5's!:)

I am looking for some help in cyberspace. I bought an 87 vette with a automatic 350 engine..i have flow master mufflers, throttle body spacer and gutted the catalytic converter to improve horsepower. I wanted to know how i could get more horsepower without any major changes to the engine. What can be done less obtrusively. I dont want cam...or anything that will change the stock appearance with big pipes hanging out. Maybe new fuel injection perhaps?

Desperately need help

thanx everyone

There is no way to have a useful gain in performance without doing something which will change the stock appearance of the engine or require major changes to the engine internals.

The best thing you can do, given the limitations you've put on the project, is to change the axle ratio to 3.07:1. My guess is you have either a 2.59 or 2.72 axle and the 3.07, while it will not change the engine's power, will improve acceleration performance.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom