Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! how to increase the ground clearance

M

marrally

Hello fellow car guys!
I'm new here so bare with me PLEASE. From what I've heard i can raise
or lower the ground clearance of my 2004 Cadillac XLR by adjusting screws located someplace under the car,it was suggested by the XLR
FORUM to ask you folks for help,so PLEASE HELP I CANT GET IT OUT OF MY DRIVEWAY WITHOUT DRAGING THE THE CHIN SPOILER.MY email is
goldenguy789@yahoo.com .
Thank You,
Chuck

:wIf you have the same suspension as the Vette, it is somewhat adjustable, but only effectively about an inch + either way. It really doesnt buy too much, and you have go through a wheel alignment $$ etc.
Additionally it negatively affects handling if you raise it.
I have the same problem and it was a major fear I had before buying the car.

HOWEVER, I almost completely solved the problem by carefully entering/leaving the driveway slowly at a very steep angle - like 20/30?? degrees.:beer
You will get only the slightest rub. No problem.
Actually I turn the radio very low to make sure it goes well.

good luck.

I wish it was that easy

BUT FIRST,THANK YOU Sooo Much for the quick reply,unfortunately I
can't "crab" it up the driveway because when it meets the street the frame bottoms. I purchased this car 4 mos. ago and I think the previous owner had it lowered, it really has a front end "RAKE",all I need is to raise the front about 1/2" to solve the problem. From what I've heard theirs bolts under their somewhere that you can adjust,WERE ARE THEY?Also
it kind of reminds me of a low rider,i feel every imperfection on the road.
Listen my phone # is 770-436-3570 if you like call or email your #,I'll call you,ether way. If anyone else has anything to offer on this subject PLEASE CHIME IN!
Thanks Again My Friend,
Chuck

Here is a link to a walk through on lowering the C5. If you are going "up" make sure to turn the screws the other way. :)

spoiler scrapping

[QUOTE;1047002]:wIf you have the same suspension as the Vette, it is somewhat adjustable, but only effectively about an inch + either way. It really doesnt buy too much, and you have go through a wheel alignment $$ etc.
Additionally it negatively affects handling if you raise it.
I have the same problem and it was a major fear I had before buying the car.

HOWEVER, I almost completely solved the problem by carefully entering/leaving the driveway slowly at a very steep angle - like 20/30?? degrees.:beer
You will get only the slightest rub. No problem.
Actually I turn the radio very low to make sure it goes well.

good luck.[/QUOTE]

Well the owners manual says your gonna have a scrapping issue once in awhile.
But as njlouc clearly stated you going to be very unhappy with raising the car by the adjustment bolts. I have my 2003 alignment done once a year and I have noticed the my spoiler scrapes coming out of my driveway. But if i back out and as soon as the back wheels touch down on the street macadam I turn the steering wheel hard to the right, that the left front tire touches the street, that the right front is still on the driveway so as you back up slowly the right front comes down slowly and only the corner of the plastic spoiler scrapes ! At least that works for me.

But after six years of ownership I know by sight if I'm going to slam the front end down on a parking lot entrance or exit. You will start to have the same mental process after you own one for very long. My C4 does the same thing in my driveway. I bought a completly new GM front spoiler as a spare in case I need a new one in the future ! I bought two steel with black matted finish that are the exact same curve as the radiator support and they attach by dring three small holes in the aluminum supports and then screwing on the black plastic coated steel plates. Have not bottomed out since my second year of ownership. !:w

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom