Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

how to install new injectors in a l-98 ,1989 ?

C

captbane

Ok I trying to dodge a 1500 dollar bullet here,(shop cost)to replace my fuel injectors.Ill start by saying that Im an industrail maintenance mech/elec.and have access to alot of tools.And 30 some years wrenching tough jobs,but Ive never done this b4.Some people say this is a walk in the park(takes some time ,but not hard) others say its a ***** kitty.Ill be working out of a Haynes corvette repair book for 1989s.Can anyone give me some pointers? This is my daily daily and I need it badly. Iv gotten alot of help here over the years ,could use some alot now.Hope someone reads this and replys,I need this car to get to work,was on dis for most of the year but now have a great paying job,just have to keep getting there.Keep safe all,capt bane

Im no pro with fuel injection but take'n it apart is easy.
The fuel injectors are held in place via the fuel rail. You can start by depressureize the rail by bleeding the pressure test valve. If you unbolt the fuel rail and gently lift up on it working from side to side the injectors will pull right out. They have a rubber O ring that holds them and seals them in the intake manifold. At that point unplug them from the harness at the fuel rail and disconnect them.

As far as putting the new ones on??? Never did this, someone on here has i'm sure, hopefully they will ring in.
There maybe some way of preparing them first, not sure.

Sent you an email.

Jim S.

Oh Please please get yourself a Helms shop manual too, and maybe a Chilton's as well. The Helms has a wealth of info and the other two assist in tips and illustrations. You'll bless yourself for having done so, and likely create some new four-letter-or-more interesting expression-strings if you don't.
Trust me on this!!!!!! You needn't ask why.

I agree, the factory service manual is a wealth of knowledge. I bought mine on ebay for 40 bucks.

Basically to replace the injectors you need to take the plenum and runners off the intake. The usual things like TB and throttle cables need to come off. Be careful of the vacuum lines, and not to break them. Also there is a hard vacuum line to the back of the plenum that goes to the brake booster, that needs disconnected.

Once that is off, loosen the fuel lines to the fuel rail, and then unbolt it from the intake. The injectors should pull out easily. When installing the new injectors, make sure you lube the O rings.

One additional tool you will want to use. A digital camera. Take picktures as you take it apart. It can be a challange getting everything in place if you have never done it before. Sequence is somewhat important.

Scav.
:w

film

One additional tool you will want to use. A digital camera. Take picktures as you take it apart. It can be a challange getting everything in place if you have never done it before. Sequence is somewhat important.

Scav.
:w
yes, thats the plan,im going to film from first to last,tx agian! captbane.

injector replacments

I want to thank everyone who kicked in with good advice.the replacements went well and vette is running well agian.I had to redo the intake gaskets on the runners cause id fubared the pass. side trying to wiggle the runner out without removing the valve cover,it can be done but dont! there is no need.I also replaced those damn #40 torex bolts with allen cap screws.Also have replacement o rings for the fuel rail lines cause they tear sometimes on removal.Watch outfor those small vac lines at the back of the penum,they get hard after time and break ez.Thats about it,make sure you lube the o rings on the new injectors,you should hear them snap in when the rail is right. If anyone gets in a jam plrase e-mail me, Ill try to get ya stright. I really think I could do this job now in 3 hours or so.lol! tx agian,see ya on the road someday!,captbane

Glad it all worked out O.K. for you.

Jim S.

Hi.
Glad to see that your replacement went well.
Quick question. Where did you purchase your fuel injectors?
Tom

where did i get the injectors

I had very little cash to spend, so I couldnt get the ones reced by the guys who know. I just went to auto-zone,I think they were Johensons or something like that,black ones.50 bucks each.Id have done it diff. if I could,but they seem to work ok. capt bane.

Did you replace all 8 or just the known bad ones?

Jim S.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom