Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: How to make the fender wells look better?

Dads C5

Corvette
1998 BLK/Torch Red Vert,Z06 wheels,K&N,BBK shorty
I have the fender wells good and clean on my '98 but the black color looks faded. I tried Mothers "Back to Black" but that didn't help. Any suggestions? ;shrug

I've heard that Adams Polishes makes something called Undercarriage Spray that does exactly what you're looking for. Check it out at AdamsPolish.com.

Undercarriage spray

I use Adam's undercarriage spray...clean area...let dry...spray on...looks like brand new...great stuff

Thanks for info. I will try and locate some Adams and give it a try.

How long does that stuff last? The PO had my black 89 painted, and it got paint overspray all over the front wheel wells. I took one out and stripped the paint off with Urethane safe bumper stripper and steel wool, now it looks all dull gray.

I had thought of painting them, but may try something else if it holds up for at least 6 months. Don't want to put something on, and when I get to driving it starts washing off.

Under carriage spray

Seeing as how you took off the black paint I don't know that this spray will give you the look that you want....I use this on my Vette and CTS...it last for quite a long time...but then again I don't wash my cars with soap...just cold water....

Seeing as how you took off the black paint I don't know that this spray will give you the look that you want....I use this on my Vette and CTS...it last for quite a long time...but then again I don't wash my cars with soap...just cold water....

Ok, thanks. I'll probably just paint them with the Krylon flat black paint for plastic.

Though, I was told the fender wells are supposed to be black all the way through them. But after I got the oversrpay off, it was gray.

The Adams Undercarriage spray works really well. It will bring back those gray plastic pieces to black, like they are supposed to be. It seems that the more I use it the less I have to use it. It's like the pieces are regaining the blackness....I don't really know exactly how to describe it.

The plastic cladding on my 99 Silverado (tops of front and rear bumpers) was turning gray like you talk about, the Adams VRT brought back the black as well.

Adam's VRT

VRT will make your engine area looks good also...clean...spray on ..wipe off excess.....

The Adams Undercarriage spray works really well. It will bring back those gray plastic pieces to black, like they are supposed to be. It seems that the more I use it the less I have to use it. It's like the pieces are regaining the blackness....I don't really know exactly how to describe it.

The plastic cladding on my 99 Silverado (tops of front and rear bumpers) was turning gray like you talk about, the Adams VRT brought back the black as well.

Does that stuff wash off? I say after driving around, some of it will start to wash off and look crappy? I wouldn't mind something that will hold up for 6 months. But if I'd have to reapply every other time I drive it, then I may just paint them and be done.

You can do what you want as far as painting, but you'll still have to keep the wheelwells clean. Once cleaned the undercarriage spray goes on in like 5 seconds. If there is dirt there, it still needs to be cleaned.

You can do what you want as far as painting, but you'll still have to keep the wheelwells clean. Once cleaned the undercarriage spray goes on in like 5 seconds. If there is dirt there, it still needs to be cleaned.

Yeah, I'll have to think about it. The Krylon flat black paint for plastic says it is chip resistant after 7 days. I know someone used that stuff on their spare tire holder thing, and it is still holding up fine after 2 years.

How long does that undercarriage spray last if I was to just use that on the grey plastic fenderwells?

Mine looks good even after I wash the car the next time, but I usually hit it again lightly. Sounds to me like you had better paint them, it's pretty apparent that you would rather paint. I doubt you'd be happy with the undercarriage spray. Me, I'd rather it be the way it came from the factory.

Hi, Shan!

What type of procedure do you use? Just spray it on and let it dry after cleaning?

Thanks!

AFTER RESTORING YOUR WHEELWELLS, DON'T FORGET TO SAVE THE :w!

Yup. I actually put it in an empty simple green spray bottle because the Armor All I had was one of those bulk refill bottles. After washing the car I just spray it in the fender wells and forget it.

Mine looks good even after I wash the car the next time, but I usually hit it again lightly. Sounds to me like you had better paint them, it's pretty apparent that you would rather paint. I doubt you'd be happy with the undercarriage spray. Me, I'd rather it be the way it came from the factory.

Yeah, I'm thinking painting is the best way. I know after I sanded the paint overspray off with the steel wool, that you can see alot of flow lines in the plastic.

I was thinking of the rubberized coating, but I don't think I'd like the look. And once that stuff is on there, it is on there. I'm gonna check out the Krylon flat black paint for plastic.

I believe that will be your best option.

Shan, do you find that Armor All causes the black plastic to go "gray" if not used continuously? That's what I found, so I stopped using it. As long as I kept the AA on there it was good, but if I got a little lax in applying it would turn gray. The VRT from Adams doesn't seem to do that.

I believe that will be your best option.

Shan, do you find that Armor All causes the black plastic to go "gray" if not used continuously? That's what I found, so I stopped using it. As long as I kept the AA on there it was good, but if I got a little lax in applying it would turn gray. The VRT from Adams doesn't seem to do that.

Do you use the VRT on the interior as well? I have some 303 protectant that I used on my hood seal. But it left the hood seal shinny. Which I was looking for a more matte finish, especially on the interior dash pieces.

I had used Armor All inside in the past, and it left a haze and white streaks on the plastic. So, I've been looking for something to clean all the crap up, then something to protect it.

I had been checking out the different venders I've been recommended. I was looking at getting it all from the same place, but I may have to break that up. As I had planned on also getting a carpet cleaner, and the Chemical Guys say their carpet cleaner also kills bacteria and mold and odor. Which I figure is a plus since I've had a water leak under the carpet that has caused mold growth. No other carpet cleaner I've seen says thiers also kills mold and bacteria, which also kills odor.

VRT is the product you want. Not a glossy finish at all, just a natural looking shine. Here's a picture of the dash of my 99 Silverado (I don't have one of my Vette) VRT only about a week ago.

VRT002.jpg

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom