Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

News: How to paint chrome wheel barrels

2 Timer

Corvette
2013 GS Coupe Cyber Gray Met-Titanium/Ebony
Products used: <o:p></o:p>

PPG DX330 (Wax and grease remover)<o:p></o:p>
SEM 39683 (Self-etch primer)<o:p></o:p>
SEM 42013 (Gray high build primer surface)<o:p></o:p>
PPG DBC916293 (Silver basecoat color)<o:p></o:p>
USC 3680062 (Spray Max Spot 2K clear coat)<o:p></o:p>

1) Wash wheels with soap and water and thoroughly dry.<o:p></o:p>
2) Clean with DX330 wax and grease remover.<o:p></o:p>
3) Sand barrel with 120 to 180 grit sandpaper. Don’t worry if you remove some of the factory coating down to the bare chrome. Blow off sanding residue and wipe with tack cloth.<o:p></o:p>
4) Mask wheel barrel and tire appropriately.<o:p></o:p>
5) Clean again with DX330 and wipe with tack cloth.<o:p></o:p>
6) Spray 2-3 light coats of SEM 39683 self-etch primer (only enough to achieve hiding). This will insure proper adhesion to any bare sanded chrome. Let dry per directions.<o:p></o:p>
7) Optional - Spray several coats of SEM 42013 primer surface. This will fill and level the factory grind marks in the barrel. When dry, sand with 320 to 400 grit sandpaper. Blow off sanding residue and once again clean with DX330.<o:p></o:p>
8) Spray 3-4 coats of basecoat (color of your choice) allowing about 5-10 minutes between coats. Allow to dry per directions before clear coating.<o:p></o:p>
9) After sufficient dry time, lightly wipe barrel with tack cloth.<o:p></o:p>
10) Spray 3 medium to medium wet coats of USC Spray Max 2K Clear allowing 10-20 minutes between coats.<o:p></o:p>
11) Allow to dry overnight, unmask and enjoy the results.<o:p></o:p>

Note: Allow the clear to completely cure (about one month) before having your wheels balanced, otherwise the weights will probably pull the finish off the next time they need to be removed. Because of the length of complete cure time, this makes for a great project during winter storage.

This process and list of supplies can be a little pricey (professional quality products) however the results will net you a finish as durable as the exterior of your vehicle. Check with your local automotive paint jobber to see if they can package the color of your choice in SEM (#61993) Custom Fill spray cans. <o:p></o:p>

Always use safety precautions such as: Eye protection, gloves and a respirator.

Skill level: Beginner to intermediate.

For obvious reasons, I cannot guarantee your results however after many years in the automotive refinish business, I'm comfortable with it.

Before:

picture.php
<o:p></o:p>

After self-etch primer:
picture.php

Finished product:
picture.php

Good luck and don't forget to wave!

Last edited:
Thank you for doing this and showing us.

Your results are great!

While driving your Vette with newly painted barrels, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

Very nice work. Looks like they would glow once on the car. Wow. :w

Very nice work. Looks like they would glow once on the car. Wow. :w

Thanks. I know that they won't pop like black or had I color keyed them (Cyber Gray Met) to the car. I wanted to retain the similarity to the stock look, but with an extremely durable, glossy finish that will wash easily. Black or Cyber gray probably would have looked great, but honestly I just couldn't pull the trigger. Since they have a basecoat/clearcoat urethane finish just like the body, I figure on a high quality wax once a season should do the trick. In the future I will post some pictures and report any maintenance issues, which I don't expect to encounter.

Newly painted wheels mounted.

Here are just a couple pics of my newly painted wheels (silver barrels) mounted on the car. Need to let the clear coat cure for about a month or so before I can have them balanced. No problem because I'm in the process of prepping it for winter storage anyways. This spring or summer I may also basecoat/clearcoat the rotor hats to match (maybe even Cyber Gray or Black). Anyone interested in doing this to their wheels and my procedure post (How to paint chrome wheel barrels) isn't informative enough, I will be more than happy to provide more info.

PS: I never proclaimed to be a professional photographer. LOL

Attachments

• IMG_5065 (V1).jpg
    IMG_5065 (V1).jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_5073 (V1).jpg
    IMG_5073 (V1).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 266
  • IMG_5069 (V1).jpg
    IMG_5069 (V1).jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 213
Just did mine,done them in semi-gloss PPG with semi-gloss clearcoat, painted hats with high heat spray bomb and installed new Bridgstones. Pictures are not great but will post more in spring

IMG_1361_zpsc4680506.jpg

IMG_1366_zps463d6d15.jpg

Great work!

Looking real good!

:w

I am curious, and being serious, when I ask..."why are we doing this?" Is there a problem with the chrome on the factory wheels, or is this just a simple, elective cosmetic modification? I undertstand painting the rotor hats to prevent rust...but the wheels?

Last edited:
I am curious, and being serious, when I ask..."why are we doing this?" Is there a problem with the chrome on the factory wheels, or is this just a simple, elective cosmetic modification? I undertstand painting the rotor hats to prevent rust...but the wheels?

There is nothing wrong with the chrome face of the wheel, however, the factory finish on the barrel of many Corvette wheels is a very rough and dull finish that collects an extreme amount of brake dust and dirt that is very difficult to clean. Late model Grand Sport wheels, as you know, are just five spoke so a lot of the barrel is visible. I like mine clean and shiny. With a basecoat/clearcoat urethane finish on them (the same as the body panels), it will make them much easier to wash and keep clean. As my post suggests, it is not that difficult to refinish your wheels.

Attachments

• IMG_5073 (V1).jpg
    IMG_5073 (V1).jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 185
You do not want to pressure wash the factory coating..... it will peel off in spots.....will roll up like film taken out of a film cannister. :ugh

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom