Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! Self Etching Primer Or Not:

401KVet

Corvette
1980 L82 Coupe, Black
I want to refinish my rocker panel moldings. I have already stripped the paint off using a paint stripper. The spray paints I am considering is 1. SEM satin black trim paint, or 2. Wurth satin black trim paint. I've read at several articles that say you should use a Self Etching Primer on aluminum for the paint to adhere better. Eastwood sells and recommends using the Self Etching Primer along with the SEM they sale. BOTH SEM's and Wurth state that a primer is NOT required. So which way do I go. I don't mind spending the extra money on one can of Self Etching Primer IF it will actually give me a better and longer lasting job.... As you know, the paint on the rocker panel moldings should be really smooth. Not rough or textured. I wonder if the Self Etching Primer might altar that??

So, which way do I go, which way to I go??? lol :w

I want to refinish my rocker panel moldings. I have already stripped the paint off using a paint stripper. The spray paints I am considering is 1. SEM satin black trim paint, or 2. Wurth satin black trim paint. I've read at several articles that say you should use a Self Etching Primer on aluminum for the paint to adhere better. Eastwood sells and recommends using the Self Etching Primer along with the SEM they sale. BOTH SEM's and Wurth state that a primer is NOT required. So which way do I go. I don't mind spending the extra money on one can of Self Etching Primer IF it will actually give me a better and longer lasting job.... As you know, the paint on the rocker panel moldings should be really smooth. Not rough or textured. I wonder if the Self Etching Primer might altar that??

So, which way do I go, which way to I go??? lol :w

I use etching primer on metal parts,and yes it helps the new finish adhere!
It's a very thin,almost transparent coating and will not look rough or textured,you just need 1 medium wet uni-form coat!

PS Thicker wetter multiple coats isn't better!~!!!:thumb

I use etching primer on metal parts,and yes it helps the new finish adhere!
It's a very thin,almost transparent coating and will not look rough or textured,you just need 1 medium wet uni-form coat!

PS Thicker wetter multiple coats isn't better!~!!!:thumb

Since I'm using this paint to paint the lower rocker panel mouldings, do you think it would help to use a Satin Clearcoat on top of the paint. For rocks, etc. Do you think the clear would give it any extra protection??

you are on the right track with the etching primer and less is more, I have painted several alum. boats and I used a product called Vera Prime and I can say the paint stays for sure even when it comes to putting it on the banks. good luck!:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom