Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! How to Remove Front Calipers on C2

Manchuvet

Corvette
1966 Roadster
Getting my 66 roadster ready for summer and checking out the calipers, rotors and seals. No problem with the rear, simply remove 2 bolts. But the fronts seem different. Only thing I see to remove is a cotter pin and a castle nut. But the dust shield is in the way. Can anyone provide the proper way to remove both calipers?

The front calipers should be similar to the rears. There should be two bolts on the inside which secure each caliper to the spindle. The castle nut you are describing, is most likely the lower ball joint or the outer tie rod end. No need to remove those nuts unless you are replacing the entire spindle assembly.

I would pick up a Chilton or Haynes type repair manual before you proceed. They have helpful instructions on many repairs for your car.

Please be careful. We don't want to hear about you loosing your brakes on your maiden voyage!

Chuck M

In the front, on a C2 disc brake car or a C3, the brake caliper is bolted to a caliper mounting bracket with two bolts. The caliper mounting bracket, in turn, is bolted to the spindle or steering knuckle.

To remove the caliper, disconnect the brake hose then remove the bolts attaching it to the caliper mounting bracket and remove the caliper.

I would pick up a Chilton or Haynes type repair manual before you proceed. They have helpful instructions on many repairs for your car.

Please be careful. We don't want to hear about you loosing your brakes on your maiden voyage!

Chuck M

I have not used a Chilton for 40 years. But I do have and use the 1966 Service Manual, Restoration Source Book, and Vette Vues Fact Book for the String Ray. Thanks for the suggestion.

In the front, on a C2 disc brake car or a C3, the brake caliper is bolted to a caliper mounting bracket with two bolts. The caliper mounting bracket, in turn, is bolted to the spindle or steering knuckle.

To remove the caliper, disconnect the brake hose then remove the bolts attaching it to the caliper mounting bracket and remove the caliper.

You are correct. There are two #8 bolts on the calipers and another sets of longer #8 bolts hold the calipers together. Thanks for redirecting me. Got them off and am installing a new kit. I had a SS system installed 5 years ago and the sleeves look good.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom