Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to replace trunk lid springs?

B

bullrhider

The trunk lid springs on my '59 need to be replaced... they barely hold the lid open. Looks like a pretty straightforward job. So I got some new springs and... I'll be darned if I can figure out how to get the old ones off. I removed the nut on the bottom of the guide rod but the lid won't open far enough to allow the rod to come out of the hole at the bottom of the bracket. The top nut (the one in the u-shaped bracket attached to the lid support arm) seems inaccessible and the nut below that is screwed down to the bottom of the threads. I give... what's the trick? Any help will be appreciated!

I see what you mean. It isn't as easy at it would appear.

After looking at it some I can see that the top nut has to come off. Then you compress the spring enough to slip the top of the rod out of the upper bracket. Then either remove the bottom or the second top nut to remove the spring.

How to hold the top nut is a problem though isn't it. My left side is clean and would probably come loose but the right side has a little rust on it. Here's what I would try.

Spray some pentrating oil on the upper nut.

Use a 9/16 open end wrench and compress the spring enough to slip it on the nut under the top bracket.

Wedge a flat tip screwdriver between the top nut and the bracket to keep it from turning. You could also put a c clamp or vice grip on the outside of the bracket to keep it from spreading. Now try to loosen it with the open end wrench. If you get it to turn just a little keep working it back and forth to get the penatrant worked in.

Another option would be to cut the end off of a 9/16 open end and weld it back on at a 90 degree angle. Then grind it to fit in the bracket and over the nut from the top.

I don't see any other way of doing this.

Good luck.
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom