Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to strip paint

corvette66

Corvette
1969 427
Whats the best way to remove the paint on fiberglass other than media blasting? The paint stripers i have seen all say that they "May" soften fiberglass. I also have a paint removing wheel for my drill but its way to tough, its good on metal surfaces but would chew trough fiberglass to easily.
Sanding is def out of the question, this car has about 4 layers of paint and one thick monster coat of primer.

My car is currently being stripped, and the bodyman(who has done many vettes) is using a razor blade on a handle. Slow, tedious, but no damage being being done to the fiberglass. I was actually amazed how good the multilayers of paint flake off. Good luck.

I just went out to the garage and looked at my leftover can of stripper. Its Zip Strip. There is an 88001 on it in the upper left corner of the can in small writing, looks like it might be used to ID the product, not sure. I got it at the local McCoys building supply store. It clearly states that it May soften fiberglass. I also looked at an old can of Klean Strip that I have, it says Do Not use on fiberglass. HTH
lone73

awesome, i think i'll try the stripper then, if you didn't have any problems with it thats good enough for me :)

Go to an auto parts place and ask for fiberglass stripper. For original (lacquer) paint, it works pretty slick. My car was repainted before, and I think they used Imron - stripper didn't touch it. I ended up using a razor blade. There was also a really heavy primer of some kind, I think they called it 'ultrafil' which was like a skim coat of putty. I nicked the hell out of it and made a lot of extra work prepping it. The back of the car didn't have the same primer, and the razor took the paint off in sheets. I was also told that when you use stripper and such on fiberglass, let it sit out in the sun (or heat lamps) to bake it all out, or you'll have problems later (which I did) Good luck!!

Craig

Paint stripper

This is not exactly on point, but i've heard that you have to seal the fiberglass after you strip it. The previous owner had my car painted and apparently didn't do it properly, and now i have blisters in the paint.
Good luck.

Cap'n Lee's Stripper

I just finished stripping 5 coats of color and 3 coats of clear(polyurethane) from my '75 using Cap'n Lee's fiberglass stripper. It worked fantastically! Can buy it at marine supply stores or order online from Halon Marketing. Made especially for fiberglass. Just spray it on and the paint will peel up and almost 'jump' off the car! Afterwards, wipe down with Scotch-Brite and rinse with water to neutralize. Works great and I have had no softening of the fiberglass and no adhesion problems whatsoever. Took almost two gallons to do the entire car, but that depends on how much and what kind of paint you are removing. Give it a try....good luck!

Im gonna get mine painted within a month or two. Im doing the prep and prime myself. Mine was originally silver, now black. Whoever painted mine was apparently stoned (or stupid) Half the car is black straght on top of silver, once you get it started, it peels off pretty easy. The other half is scuffed up silver, thick primer , then black. Im afraid to use stripper, (wouldn't be if I could find one thats for fiberglass) so im using a compessor sander with 100 grit, then 150, then 220. Ill try the razor blade. That doesn't effect the fiberglass? Would a heat gun work?
Best Wishes
zachh

all these great ideas, thanx guys

I think i will take a chance with the stripper. (Paint stripper) hahaha

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom