Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: while working on pillar post, found bunch of eeek

tonyponykay

Corvette
1980 maroon, 1987 vert yellow/black "bumblebee"
well, pulled off the pillar post to put new weatherstriping in there and the entire side of the window frame came off with it, exposing some rot in whatever they used for sealer way back in 1980.

question is: anybody know what i can use to seal that aluminum window frame back to the window with? Urethane is what I have been reading in forums but I wanted to be sure and ask just in case.

ALSO :confused while looking at the frame area below the window, that area you can see when you open the door, it appears to have some kind of fibergalss laminate that connects fromt the body to the painted frame area, this was cracked and looking bad, I pulled a sliver of it off and found it was bonded somehow with some whitish material beneath it to the frame area? I had an 81 that I don't remember having this fiberglass bonding to the body edge there. What is that? is it necessary? does it protect something or what?

I would imagine going over a bump could easily crack that fiberglass laminate there since its really ony barely connected on one side to the body edging of the fender and on the other side to the front frame of the birdcage. there is surface rust beneath the fiberglass, nothing too horrible, the paint is even still on there, but its cracking and peeling off which reveals the surface rust beneath.

I anticipate I will wire brush it down to metal with a wire brush on drill and then spray it with some rustoleum or rust inhibitor, primer it up and repaint it.

What do i need to know about that fiberglass connecter between the outside edge of the fender and the front of the birdcage frame??

thanks for the help all :upthumbs

Have you checked in the AIM to see if it sheds any light on this?

POR is a good paint for rusty areas.

Can you post a picture of what you are talking about. It sounds like someone made a repair for birdcage rust at some point in time.

Gary

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom