Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to tell if numbers match

lena65

Corvette
1979 Corvette L82
Hello,

I need help...

I am trying to sell a 1979 Corvette L82, 41,440 miles on it. I am asking $11,500.00. People are asking me if the numbers match, I don't know what this means, or how to check. I truly need to sell this car THIS MONTH. Can anyone out there help me, so I don't sound stupid everytime someone asks me. If they don't match, how can I still sell the car for a reasonable price?

thanks,
Milena

Numbers matching could mean different things to different people. It all depends on what the buyer is looking for. When I think of numbers matching, I think of the VIN number (located on the right drivers side pillar of the winshield) matching the VIN number on the motor (located on a tab on the front passenger side cylinder head just below the valve cover) and the transmission (located on the drivers side just above the pan).
To some, it would mean such items as the alternator, ac, and other items being original as well.
Now, if you have documentation on the car like a build sheet and maintenance then that would be ideal to a buyer.
Can you post a few pictures of the car and/or tell us what condition it is in?

For starters, I don't have any documentation on it. Someone gave it to my husband in August 2005 in exchange for a side job he did for them. My husband passed away last June 2007. I have searched this house high and low (even the nooks and crannies where he thought I'd never look!), and can't find anything for the vette. I do have the title, though. The car is in good/great condition. It is white with red interior. From my eyes, it needs paint. My husband was a classic car collector, and he kept it garaged and maintained. He used it as his "weekend" car to take the kids into town for ice cream. I attached some pictures, hopefully they'll come through. If not, I'll try again, or you can see them on craigslist, search 1979 corvette L82.

so I don't sound stupid everytime someone asks me.

No reason to feel stupid, I would bet that 95% of the people that ask don't have a clue what it means either - or the knowledge to verify it. :D

Post some under-the-hood pictures. The might give a clue if the engine is unmolested or not.

BTW- documentation on the newer cars like this is not of much value one way or the other. I wouldn't worry about that part.

The VIN will tell you which engine the car came with, there's no other options in '79 that affects the value to a large degree.

Here are pictures of the engine...I don't know if these help any.

I'm also somewhat confused about the VIN. I "decoded" it on a couple of websites last night, and the fifth digit is the engine, which on this VIN, is the number 8..according to the websites I found, the engine should be L48, not L82. HOWEVER, the ornaments are all L82.

I also looked at all the parts, with a flashlight, and honestly, it is all foreign language to me. The only number I saw near the engine did not resemble the VIN at all...but I don't know if I was even looking at the engine. (sorry, cars are not my forte; if it takes me from point A to point B, I'm happy).

So......how do I prove the numbers match, and if they don't match, what is this car's selling point?

Many thanks in advance :D

Milena
PS. if you need the VIN, let me know.

By the pictures, the intake manifold does not look aluminum but it is hard to tell. Aluminum Intake Manifolds only came on L-82's and your right about the VIN. The number 8 does denote rather an L-48 as opposed to an L-82. The L-82 produces more horsepower. The air cleaner and the two valve covers have been replaced.

So would you consider it numbers matching? My totally uneducated guess would be yes.

Than why is there an L82 ornament on the hood, and what is the car actually worth? I'm asking $11,500.00, thinking it's an L82. I guess I'm kinda screwed, huh?

I tried to run a CarFax Report, but they only have reports for cars 1981 to present.

I tried to look for the VIN again...my 10-year old son saw me, and pointed out the engine, so here's what I have: the VIN is 1Z8789S440806. The stamp on the engine reads: 193440806. So the sequence number matches, but not the first three...does this make a huge difference? There was another number stamped above this number too, but it didn't look like something I needed.

so here's what I have: the VIN is 1Z8789S440806. The stamp on the engine reads: 193440806. So the sequence number matches, but not the first three...does this make a huge difference? There was another number stamped above this number too, but it didn't look like something I needed.

This would pretty well confirm that this is the original engine for the car (good news) but also confirms that the car is indeed an L48 and not an L82. It is very common for people to add the L82 emblems afterwards for a bit of show. One of you other pictures showed the casting number of the intake manifold (10447376) which is also for L48 only.

The carburetor appears to be a replacement going by the stamped number and 'newer' appearance.

Regarding the other set of digits on the engine stamping pad, these could help give further identification. They should read: V, four digits, three letters 'ZA?'

The last letter after ZA should be between A and J.

The other stamped number on the engine reads: V 0611 ZAH, just as you said.

That means the engine was built in Flint Michigan (V) on June 11th (0611), and was an L48 destined for a non-California non-high altitude Corvette, equipped with a Turbo Hydramatic transmission (ZAH) built fairly late in the production year.

If you open the drivers door and look on the door post there should be a metal plate held on with two rivets. In the upper right hand corner of the plate there will be a three digit code, one letter and two numbers. This will tell you the approximate date the car was built. My guess is it will read something like J25 which would be June 25th. This lines up well with an engine built June 11th.

Underneath the the word 'Chevrolet' will be two more codes. If the paint colour is original, the right hand code will read '10L' and the left '722' if the red interior colour is original.

Having factory original finishes will help the value of the car and possibly partially offset the deterioration you mentioned.

The three digit code reads "K22". The codes underneath the word Chevrolet read, from left to right: "TRIM 722 .....10L PAINT".

I can safely edit the ad to read, "1979 Corvette, original engine, interior, paint, and trim." I think I should put all these numbers in the ad too, so people can see for themselves.

Price list.

Hi again, go here http://www.nadaguides.com/ go to "Classic Cars"
click on Chevrolet then Corvette and you'll see your car with alloy wheels, glass roof and factory a/c listed at $13,765.00 so don't drop your prive too fast. PG.

Thank you for your help.
I checked out the Nada Guides last year when my husband first passed away. I first listed the vette at $19,500.00,...nothing. With a bad economy and rising gas prices, I waited until this spring, then relisted at $15,000.00. People told me I'm NUTS...but part of it is that I don't know how to "sell" the car. So I relisted it with "MUST GO", at $11,500.00

My next step will be to post pictures of under the hood, and all the codes you all just explained to me ;), including the RPO codes, where can I find those?

My next step will be to post pictures of under the hood, and all the codes you all just explained to me ;), including the RPO codes, where can I find those?

If you intend to post pictures of under the hood, you might want to have someone clean up/freshen up the engine and compartment first. The grease and rust will turn a lot of people off by their assuming that it's a car that has been poorly cared for.

Regarding the RPOs, there might be a sticker on top of the gas tank showing what the car was built with. This is always difficult top get to and it might be already gone.

Being that this is a '79 with an L48 engine and auto transmission (and not a '69 L88 worth $300,000K plus) original documentation is of relatively low value. Most of the options on the car can be easily deduced by their mere presence.

If you're thinking of advertising which RPOs your car has, only a small part of the buying public knows what they represent. Better to state that the car has power steering power brakes, cruise, etc. etc.

Thank you for your help.
I checked out the Nada Guides last year when my husband first passed away. I first listed the vette at $19,500.00,...nothing. With a bad economy and rising gas prices, I waited until this spring, then relisted at $15,000.00. People told me I'm NUTS...but part of it is that I don't know how to "sell" the car. So I relisted it with "MUST GO", at $11,500.00

It is not uncommon for people to talk trash about your car. It can be very upsetting. Take it with a grain of salt. Originality is a very good thing. Cars are only original once. As a suggestion, have your car thoroughly cleaned/detailed inside and out by a detailing service. This will let you show the car in a good light. Also list all of these codes and numbers you are finding. A savy Corvette buyer will like to what they are. Good luck!

I relisted the ad in CraigsList, with all the numbers I/you all found, at $11,500.00. At the very least, I learned about something I never in a million years thought I would! My late husband would be amazed, and he would have loved to "chat" with you all too.

I'll let you all know how it turns out...

I hate to sound like a sniveling pest, but if I have any more questions (chances are), do you all mind if I ask again on this thread?

:upthumbs

Milena

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom