Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How to turn off the heat !

jackfit

Corvette
66 Roadster Glen Green/Saddle
It has been really hot in Maine and many other places. If you own a mid-year corvette ( and others ) and it does not have a/c , you probably don't have a turn off valve on your heater hose line.

Even though you have the heater turned off, the hot water still enters the heater core inside the cockpit of the car. It makes the car very hot. Many of you have asked about how to turn off the heat.

You connect a turn off valve, (cost $10 at hardware store) on the 5/8" line . It is the bottom one coming out of heater box on firewall. I did it today, (it was 90+ in Maine) . Big difference. Passenger side and rest of car is now almost pleasant. I have insulated the cockpit as I restored the car .View attachment 20497

View attachment 20498

View attachment 20499.

I can't understand how GM did not install one in non a/c cars. I have attached pictures of installation. Valve open, closed and as you can see, out of sight. Forgive the bad clamps, I just needed the heat to stop.

Took just a few moments to do. You can get as fancy as you like with hardware. Just every week open it , if you go for a short ride, to keep the fluid from being stagnant in the core. Or you can adjust the valve to let just a small amount of fluid to circulate. Almost like a real thermostat

If you love to drive in the summer, (don't we all ) it is a must do fix.

Jack

nice fix. Any good idea to cool down the interior is helpful. :w

Nice photos and explanation jackfit. Thanks for sharing it here! :thumb

I'm a Midyear fan and have been since I was ten years old. I hope to have my own Midyear someday, but AC is a must given the tropical weather we have here along the northern Gulf of Mexico. :cool

:wJane Ann

Good idea. I put one on my '69 step side for the same reason.

Tom

I like your fix because it's even cheaper than mine. I did the same thing but used a shut off valve that I got from NAPA. It's a screw-in valve. Of course, make sure that you put the valve in-line before the water goes into the heater core.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom