Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How To Use A Clay Bar

Remo,
Sorry, guess I wasn't real clear with my question about the clay bar vs. dupont # 7.....I have other cars with 30-40 year old paint on them (enamel), and was asking Detailingdude if a clay bar will clean this old enamel also.
Until I got my Vette a couple months ago, and joined the Forum,
I've been kinda 'stuck in the oldies' ref cleaning products - and had never heard of 'clay bar' til recently....
Also, I do like using the 'Black Chrome', and wondered what his
opinion of it is.

:w :Steer

What is Black Chrome? I can't say that I have ever heard of it.

Black Chrome.
Made by Turtle Wax. It is used on all black rubber/vinyl trim - it makes dull/greyed/weathered side mouldings look like new(i.e. black, clean, and original)
I use it once per year or so on the wide side mouldings on my 2000 Chevrolet Silverado. It is a thick dark liquid (as opposed to the thin white chrome polish) and is applied sparingly, allowed to dry, and then buffed slightly. I use 2 soft toothbrushes to apply and buff. Great stuff.

:w :Steer

Here you go VetteDude.

BTW.... we might be related. Got the same last name! LOL

Interceptor430 said:
DetailingDude...
uh...lost me on your reply....
????

My 'Here ya go VetteDude' comment was directed at someone else. I put that post on there to bring this guide up in the pecking order to make it easier for him to find. That's all!

You R The Man.....

this is banner stuff "dude"......see ya at the "family" reunion!

:BOW :BOW :BOW :BOW :BOW :BOW :BOW :BOW :BOW :BOW :BOW

Today I clayed with my car...

I started off by washing my car with' dawn". (THREE TIMES) Then I used " 3-m Adhesive remover" to get the" Zanio " off. I had about four coats under the wax. Then I carefully clayed the car. Another washing, and I used Meguires #7 and a buffer on the hood and nose.( I had some bad swirl marks that showed up on the graphics.) Then a coat of "Ibiz" wax. Then another coat. After polishing off with a cotton towel, I polished it again with a micro towel. Whoa!! She sparkels like a diamond..:BOW

Re: Today I clayed with my car...

les said:
I started off by washing my car with' dawn". (THREE TIMES) Then I used " 3-m Adhesive remover" to get the" Zanio " off. I had about four coats under the wax. Then I carefully clayed the car. Another washing, and I used Meguires #7 and a buffer on the hood and nose.( I had some bad swirl marks that showed up on the graphics.) Then a coat of "Ibiz" wax. Then another coat. After polishing off with a cotton towel, I polished it again with a micro towel. Whoa!! She sparkels like a diamond..:BOW

Interesting process but I am glad you got the results you were looking for.... and that what counts.

Re: Today I clayed with my car...

les said:
.... Then I carefully clayed the car. .....

What brand of clay bar did you use?
I bought the Meguiars stuff (white bar) and think it did more harm than good?
It seems to be a very "hard" clay vs something soft and plyable.
I even tried holding it in my hands to further warm it up.
Yes I did use the detailing spray with it :gap

Just wondering what you used, or anyone else for that matter.
Where did you find it?

Thanks

Re: Re: Today I clayed with my car...

Corvette-Pilot said:

Where did you find it?

Thanks

I would think lubrication might be the issue. I used the Zaino bar last summer. They said for a lubricant, use 1/2 capful of car wash to 12 oz. water in a spray bottle and keep the area you are working on lubricated well. I don't see how you could get enough lubrication with the detailing spray (even if Meguiars says to).

:w
Guy

Re: Re: Today I clayed with my car...

Corvette-Pilot said:

Where did you find it?

Thanks

Meguiar's is my least-favorite of the bunch. I had pretty much the same experience with it. It is not horrible, don't get me wrong, but I found the others to be better.

Re: Re: Re: Today I clayed with my car...

DetailingDude said:
Meguiar's is my least-favorite of the bunch. I had pretty much the same experience with it. It is not horrible, don't get me wrong, but I found the others to be better.

I think it might be mine too :Silly

What brands offer a better bar that I can get in the stores?
Maybe even mail order since the car is away for the season there isn't much of a rush to get it I supose.

I'll also try what 82-Guy said and uses some wash/water mixture and see if it helps before trashing the stuff.

Does Meguiars have a 100% satisfied warranty?
I may want to call them on this.

:hb

Re: Re: Re: Re: Today I clayed with my car...

What brands offer a better bar that I can get in the stores?
Maybe even mail order since the car is away for the season there isn't much of a rush to get it I supose.

Mother's is one that is readily available at WalMart for $13.87

I'll also try what 82-Guy said and uses some wash/water mixture and see if it helps before trashing the stuff.
What you'll notice is that the clay bar won't last as long. However, in your case, you aren't doing the volume of a detail shop so you'll probably do fine with it.

Does Meguiars have a 100% satisfied warranty?
I may want to call them on this.

They may not actually offer it, but I am sure that if you do call them on it they will gladly refund or give you product credit.

Re,RE....

I used Mothers clay bar kit. It comes with the spray shine and it is a very good lubrication. As the Dude said you can get it at Wal-Mart. Oh and thanks Guy for the tip on the Porter-Cabel buffer, It worked great!! Thanks Dude for suggesting we clay the windows---Wow what a difference.

Mike, Check your PM for a phone number. My friend at Meguiars wants to see if he can help.

:w
Guy

detail dude

Dude

Your thread got my wife on a clay bar kick :duh She went out and bought the Clay Magic blue and the guy at the store told her to use Meguiars Final Inspection 34 as a lubricant. She also got Tork 909 towels, and 3M general adhesive cleaner. This is our respectable auto paint shop in town. What do you think? I say " if I use the Mcguiars as a lube I'm putting on wax that im gonna end up taking off with the 3M."

Wamp
"96 Coupe
"74 Stingray:hb

Re: detail dude

Your thread got my wife on a clay bar kick
That is GREAT!! My GF now gets a lot of satisfaction out of detailing her car. I was watching a show on TV that talked about women getting out and jumping into home improvement with both hands (I know you don't jump with your hand, LOL). She'll probably inspire her friends to do this as well! I think you should encourage her all along the way. In fact I plan on doing a feature of women taking matters into their own hands, do you think she might be interested?

She bought the Clay Magic blue and the guy at the store told her to use Meguiars Final Inspection 34 as a lubricant.
That is a financial decision. Why carry 2 products that do the same job: Save the shelf space and put in another product. Clay Magic makes their own surface lube but FI will do the trick too.

She also got Tork 909 towels
I am not familiar with these. Are they 100% cotton?

3M general adhesive cleaner
This is a fantastic product. You are going to find so many other uses for this.

What do you think? I say " if I use the Mcguiars as a lube I'm putting on wax that im gonna end up taking off with the 3M."
You are going to be taking it off, but it is not actually like a wax. Well, it is but it is not very durable and will come right off with the 3M GPAC.

Keep me posted on her progress! This is a fantastic story in the making. To the rest of you ladies I'd like your stories as well.

And the rest of the story

okay time to confess.. The 74 has been my project car for two years, washing her, waxing and polishing the chrome and thousands of dollars later she's starting to get close to where I want her. All this time I hear "You love that car more than me":bash We have become pretty active in the local Vette club, so at the Chevy dealer she's looking at a black C-4, Not my most favorite model of vette but lets check this thing out. Pop the hood and holy smoke it says "Grand Sport" in those big wonderful red letters. Now how to get this thing home, Oh honey yeah you would look good in this car. Just think a two vette family hon. It can be yours honey! Now this car is in the driveway and she is on this it's gotta be perfect NOW frame of mind, (It's mine). I encourage it for the most part, but every thing that she does to HER car, is something new my baby goes with out! (lol)

Wamp

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom