Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How To Use A Clay Bar

01TriBlack said:
Some great, great information! Thanks so much. :)

When you all clay-bar the car, do you actually feel it's doing anything as you're actually clay-ing? I clay-barred my '96 once and kind of just shrugged, quitting after 1/2 the hood because I wasn't convinced it was doing anything. Was it?

I've always used Meguiars products but am going to try Pinnacle Souveran.
You'll notice in my description that you use a cellophane wrapper to check the surface for contaminants. Put 2 fingers in it and glide it across the surface. If you don't feel any then you're good and can either begin removing below the surface damage or go on to the "Paint Protection Process".
:beer

Yes when you first start to rub the bar across a particular area, you feel a little resistance. As you rub more it goes away and the bar just glides across the area. Kind of hard for me to describe but yes I could feel it working. Could be your car really didn't need to be clayed. Which would be a good thing... :)

01TriBlack said:
Some great, great information! Thanks so much. :)

When you all clay-bar the car, do you actually feel it's doing anything as you're actually clay-ing? I clay-barred my '96 once and kind of just shrugged, quitting after 1/2 the hood because I wasn't convinced it was doing anything. Was it?

I've always used Meguiars products but am going to try Pinnacle Souveran.

Thanks Detailing Dude and Mick. :) I didn't feel any sort of resistance when I was claying the '96. So I may have lucked out and it really didn't need it. Phew. That seemed like a monumental job. I'll use the cellophane test on the '01. So I'm assuming if I feel nothing beneath my fingertips that are in the cellophane, that it doesn't require claying. Thatwould be a good thing. :w

I did the same thing clayed with Z-7 car wash mixed into water

Guy said:
I would think lubrication might be the issue. I used the Zaino bar last summer. They said for a lubricant, use 1/2 capful of car wash to 12 oz. water in a spray bottle and keep the area you are working on lubricated well. I don't see how you could get enough lubrication with the detailing spray (even if Meguiars says to).

:w
Guy
This was recommended by the Zaino site. Now I notice most companies are making lubricant sprays are these better? I was told that car wash soap will break down the claybar faster.

Costco sells 16 to a pack 16 X 16 for 10.59

V..rroom said:
where can one get the microfibre towels...I have purchased some here at walmart but they are small hand towels and I'm not sure of the thread count...they work fine but a larger size would be great...is there an online store for detailing stuff??
They are yellow in color:)

How does one find your web site?
I'm a new comer to detailing.
Thanks,
WAYNES WORLD

Liquid Clay Bar?

OK, I'll ask.
Has anyone tried Turtle Wax Liquid Clay Bar yet? I've got a bottle that's just waiting for the weather to cool a bit.

OK, I'll ask.
Has anyone tried Turtle Wax Liquid Clay Bar yet? I've got a bottle that's just waiting for the weather to cool a bit.
Yep,And I like it!!!I've been using a conventional Clay Bar with liquid ICE Polish until last Saturday!!!I used the Liquid I clay bar and then threw the old one away!!;LOLThe Liquid Ice Clay bar is really easy to use,it only took me about 2 hrs to do the Whole car Bumpers, Rockers and all!!!:upthumbs

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showpost.php?p=840887&postcount=15

http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showpost.php?p=840911&postcount=18

Thanks, Jesse.
That's quite an endorsement from an experienced Clay Bar Guy.
Suddenly I feel inspired! Early Saturday or Sunday morning could be the right time to give it a try.

Yep,And I like it!!!I've been using a conventional Clay Bar with liquid ICE Polish until last Saturday!!!I used the Liquid I clay bar and then threw the old one away!!;LOLThe Liquid Ice Clay bar is really easy to use,it only took me about 2 hrs to do the Whole car Bumpers, Rockers and all!!!:upthumbs

I'm a little surprised that it takes 2 hours. :confused I have been a clay bar user for a very long time, and it doesn't take any time at all.

Elaine

I'm a little surprised that it takes 2 hours. :confused I have been a clay bar user for a very long time, and it doesn't take any time at all.

Elaine
Elaine, have you accounted for the Brew Factor?
Some require a beer-break after working each major body part.
E.G., 1 fender - 1 beer, 1 hood - 1 beer etc. This adds considerably to the overall time factor. Actual polishing time maybe 30 minutes or less. ;)

Elaine, have you accounted for the Brew Factor?
Some require a beer-break after working each major body part.
E.G., 1 fender - 1 beer, 1 hood - 1 beer etc. This adds considerably to the overall time factor. Actual polishing time maybe 30 minutes or less. ;)

Ahhhh... that's what I didn't factor into the total clay bar time! :L

Elaine

Elaine
Elaine,I'm sure not any of your cars have ever been Exposed to the Kind of elements that Yevette was exposed to the last year!! It had been almost a Year since it had been Really polished up!!(A couple month's before Rascals fall Dragon Run!!))It set out in the weather All Winter and All summer with only a hand wash when needed!! It had some Nasty Deposits!!:chuckle:chuckle
I had to do the Hood,Top,and Deck twice to get it to my satisfaction!!!:cool:cool

I'm really Surprised it didn't take me all day just to clay bar it!!!:ugh:ugh

And then I put the Icing on the Cake!!!;);)
2 hr's ain't bad to Clay bar and put some perfection on!!!:D:D:D
I've been using Liquid Ice Polish for over a year and I've noticed that even the Florida Love bugs don't stick near as bad or etch into the paint nearly as bad either!! But I'm done with the Z now and she has her spot back in the garage!!!:upthumbs:upthumbs

PS. "cenzo" I don't drink while I work on Cars!! But I do however have a occasional Smoke Break!!:D:D:D

Elaine,I'm sure not any of your cars have ever been Exposed to the Kind of elements that Yevette was exposed to the last year!! It had been almost a Year since it had been Really polished up!!(A couple month's before Rascals fall Dragon Run!!))It set out in the weather All Winter and All summer with only a hand wash when needed!! It had some Nasty Deposits!!:chuckle:chuckle
I had to do the Hood,Top,and Deck twice to get it to my satisfaction!!!:cool:cool

I'm really Surprised it didn't take me all day just to clay bar it!!!:ugh:ugh

And then I put the Icing on the Cake!!!;);)
2 hr's ain't bad to Clay bar and put some perfection on!!!:D:D:D
I've been using Liquid Ice Polish for over a year and I've noticed that even the Florida Love bugs don't stick near as bad or etch into the paint nearly as bad either!! But I'm done with the Z now and she has her spot back in the garage!!!:upthumbs:upthumbs

PS. "cenzo" I don't drink while I work on Cars!! But I do however have a occasional Smoke Break!!:D:D:D

Actually, I was thinking just that...that your car probably had been exposed to all kinds of elements where my Corvettes aren't. Glad the claybar part of detailing worked very well! :)

Elaine

I am going to rely on gmjunkie's advice. I tried the T wax ice by itself and found it to be terrible. It streaked and did not shine. 6shooter told me to let it dry longer than what is written on the label and use a microfiber towel. I use Zaino products and their clay bar on my vettes and they look great and so easy. But I want to try the TwaxIce on my blazers to see how it works if I do it correctly. So I went out and purchased the liquid clay bar and still have quite a bit of Ice. gmjunkie has posted pics of his work with the Ice, and I was impressed. Since he has never steered anyone wrong on the forum, I will try the stuff, hopefully this weekend. The bottle of liquid clay bar did not say to use a mircrofiber towel, nor did it say use a white cotton towel. But the print was small and I will have to read the label again.

Question for Mr. Junk - do you use a regular towel, microfiber towel, or something else for the Ice and the Liquid Clay Bar, or can you use the same kind of towel for each? Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Barrett

I am going to rely on gmjunkie's advice. I tried the T wax ice by itself and found it to be terrible. It streaked and did not shine. 6shooter told me to let it dry longer than what is written on the label and use a microfiber towel. I use Zaino products and their clay bar on my vettes and they look great and so easy. But I want to try the TwaxIce on my blazers to see how it works if I do it correctly. So I went out and purchased the liquid clay bar and still have quite a bit of Ice. gmjunkie has posted pics of his work with the Ice, and I was impressed. Since he has never steered anyone wrong on the forum, I will try the stuff, hopefully this weekend. The bottle of liquid clay bar did not say to use a mircrofiber towel, nor did it say use a white cotton towel. But the print was small and I will have to read the label again.

Question for Mr. Junk - do you use a regular towel, microfiber towel, or something else for the Ice and the Liquid Clay Bar, or can you use the same kind of towel for each? Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Barrett
The liquid clay bar comes with a Applicator sponge!! It's all in a bottle,just shake it up and apply to the sponge and apply in 1 direction like you would a normal Clay bar!! It doesn't take allot!!! Fact is, I can probly do it to 10-12 more cars with this bottle!!!It says to wash with soap and water,dry and apply Liquid Ice Polish, I allowed mine to haze up like wax and removed it easily with a Micro fiber Towel!!The stuff don't stick to weatherstrips bad either!! And then I applied the Liquid Ice Polish!!It don't Take Much either,just rub a small amount in till you cant hardly tell you put anything on just make sure you don't miss a spot,It WILL Show up Big time!!!!!If it Looks Greasy,You used to Much!!:D:D:D If it smears and streaks after it Dries while removing,You used to much!!!:D:D:D But it's not a problem,just wipe it down again in a few minutes!! My shop is air conditioned so it don't take it long to dry!! And the MICRO FIBER Towels are a MUST!!!!!!!I found a FAT package of 12-20x20 at Advance Auto Parts for $10.00!! I tried to use a regular bath towel the first time and it streaked Terrible!!! :chuckle:chuckle:chuckle
And believe it or not,that little one they send with the Ice is big enough to do the whole car!!!!;LOL;LOL;LOL:upthumbs
attachment.php

Junk, thanks for the information. Your short treatise on applying and wiping the clay and ice may solve my problem of streaking. Since I live at 8600 feet, I don't have the need for air conditioning as the climate is quite dry. Will let you know how the ice application works. Thanks again.
Barrett

Junk, thanks for the information. Your short treatise on applying and wiping the clay and ice may solve my problem of streaking. Since I live at 8600 feet, I don't have the need for air conditioning as the climate is quite dry. Will let you know how the ice application works. Thanks again.
Barrett

A follow-up to my last post. The Labor Day weekend is past and I used the time, between rainstorms, to use the Turtle Wax Ice Liquid Clay Bar and Ice Wax on three S-10 Chevys, of course all red. I had previously used Zaino after the clay bar treatment on my two vettes and could not have been happier with the results. Was skeptical about the Turtle Wax Ice as it left streaks on one S-10 that I had not clay barred. I am pleased to say that I liked the T Wax Ice clay bar, and to some extent, the T Wax Ice.

Some of you may recall in the C1, C2, and C3 days that polishing a vette was time consuming. In the 60s, I purchased Blue Coral, which at the time was only available thru a Cadillac dealer, hence the original name, Cadillac Blue Coral. After washing the car, I used the Blue Coral paste and rubbed, and rubbed and rubbed till the shine was acceptable, and it was fantastic. There was so much oxidation on the towel that it could not be reused for detailing purposes. Then I applied the Blue Coral liquid as a sealer. I used the liquid sealer once a month to protect the shine. I only had to use the paste once per year and it was much easier after the initial application. This was time consuming and one had to be careful not to get the paste or liquid onto the black parts. IMO, the T Wax Ice clay bar is much like the Blue Coral paste as it will bring out the shine and remove the detritus adhering to the paint. I did it in sections as the instructions stated, used a microfiber towel to remove, and got a great shine. Then I applied the T Wax Ice, let it dry longer than the instructions, and used a microfiber towel. I don't believe that the T Wax Ice is as good as the Zaino product. The T Wax liquid clay bar is great because one does not worry about dropping the bar, a great advantage to those of us who have a tendency to drop items. Another great feature of both T Wax liquid clay bar and Ice wax is that it does not cause a problem with the black weather stripping or trim pieces. Rowdy and Junk were correct on this. And 6 shooter was correct on advising the use of the microfiber towel. I don't think the Ice Liquid Wax is very effective without the prior use of the Clay Bar liquid. As I stated, very similar to Blue Coral treatment in my past.

It took me 3 hours for each vehicle after washing. When I Zaino'd my vettes last Spring, it only took a little more than one hour, not including washing. I plan to keep using the T Wax liquid clay bar when necessary, but will switch to Zaino for the rest of the job. My opinion might change as I see how the blazers do during the winter months in snow country, i.e. does the T Wax Ice hold up? I know the vettes will be okay as they will be nessled under their car covers in a heated garage, waiting for spring thaw.

Thanks again to Junk and 6 Shooter for their advice. As stated earlier, this is only my opinion on the use of T Wax Clay Bar and Ice. I really like the fact that the T Wax products do not stain the black trim or plastic. In fact, when I used both on the plastic trim below the windshield and the two outside mirror housings, they turned out great with no streaks.

Barrett

That's a bit ironic to me that it took longer for you, the T wax liquid clay bar and polish afterwards to me were easier and quicker for me to apply than the two normal cycles of Zaino that I go through, I know it definitely polished in faster. I'm not sure if it's a better gloss/shine than the Z products, but I think it's atleast as good. I'm curious as to how long it will stay with the car and what repeated cycles of this stuff will be like. If it seems to stay with the car as well as the Z stuff, I'm probably switching.

That's a bit ironic to me that it took longer for you, the T wax liquid clay bar and polish afterwards to me were easier and quicker for me to apply than the two normal cycles of Zaino that I go through, I know it definitely polished in faster. I'm not sure if it's a better gloss/shine than the Z products, but I think it's atleast as good. I'm curious as to how long it will stay with the car and what repeated cycles of this stuff will be like. If it seems to stay with the car as well as the Z stuff, I'm probably switching.

Charlie
Had your car been clay barred before? The 3 S-10s had never been clay barred, but had been waxed every year. I was surprised too, on how long it took to do the S-10s, probably due to more surface area. On your corvette, I'll bet the black rose color is outstanding after the clay bar and Zaino (or T Wax) application. What color does it appear to be? I know that at Colorado Springs, it appeared to change color with the light.

Wish I could go on the Dragon with you this fall - maybe next year.
Barrett

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom