Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

How To Use A Clay Bar

Actually, all I'd done before was Z5 then Z2 (both with the ZFX added in), and used the Z6 finishing spray, I would go through this every time I washed the car...so nope, no clay barring before. I can liquid clay bar and ice polish from T wax quicker and easier than I could do my Zaino routine and I'm sure it looks just as good, it's been close to a week and the car still looks great, just a little dusty from being driven daily since I've washed it. I'm curious what it will do if I wash and just finishing spray it this weekend and then how well that holds over the course of another week.

As for the color, stare at it hard enough and it'll be whatever color you want it to be! The more overcast or the darker outside it is, the darker the paint color looks. You'd be amazed at how many times I've ran into someone and night and heard "love the black vette, why'd you get rid of the purple one?" lol

Actually, all I'd done before was Z5 then Z2 (both with the ZFX added in), and used the Z6 finishing spray, I would go through this every time I washed the car...so nope, no clay barring before. I can liquid clay bar and ice polish from T wax quicker and easier than I could do my Zaino routine and I'm sure it looks just as good, it's been close to a week and the car still looks great, just a little dusty from being driven daily since I've washed it. I'm curious what it will do if I wash and just finishing spray it this weekend and then how well that holds over the course of another week.

As for the color, stare at it hard enough and it'll be whatever color you want it to be! The more overcast or the darker outside it is, the darker the paint color looks. You'd be amazed at how many times I've ran into someone and night and heard "love the black vette, why'd you get rid of the purple one?" lol

i tried one of these clay bars and while i thought it worked great its just to much of a god damn science project for me..... im sure i will try it again tho :booty

Just did the clay bar thing today for the first time. My '92 has 120k miles through Illinois corn fields (big bugs jump out at night) and the paint was really starting to look old. I wax regularly (mothers) and use bug and tar remover as needed, but the car has never looked as good as it does after the clay. WOW! I'm a believer. I just wish I had taken some before pictures.

Well Guys,It's been over 10 months,over 15,000 miles,And still Looks Like this!!!:thumb:thumb:thumb
Still setting Outside too!! :L

:D:D:D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I know I'm right when I'm in agreement with Junkie!!!

Mine's only been a month and a half, but yeah, it's still looking incredible from that clay bar treatment.

I used the Meguiar's Claybar, and was pretty happy with the results.

I broke the bar into 3 pieces and used one of them. I rolled it around in my
hand and stretched it out a few times, kind of like Silly Putty.The kit came with Meguiar's
Quick Detailer which gets used as the 'lube' for the clay.

I did find that without adequate lube the clay didn't move easily and tended to leave
clay 'streaks'. More lube and quick do-over eliminated the streaks. I also found that
after each area if I re-rolled the clay it worked better than just wiping it with the
same surface over and over.

When I was done, the color looked much clearer and the finish was silky smooth.
I have washed and waxed it since the process, and it took less time to wash and
the drying time was also reduced as the water basically sheeted right off the car.

I haven't used the other products that have been detailed in this thread, so I can't
offer a comparison.

I used the Meguiar's Claybar, and was pretty happy with the results.

I broke the bar into 3 pieces and used one of them. I rolled it around in my
hand and stretched it out a few times, kind of like Silly Putty.The kit came with Meguiar's
Quick Detailer which gets used as the 'lube' for the clay.

I did find that without adequate lube the clay didn't move easily and tended to leave
clay 'streaks'. More lube and quick do-over eliminated the streaks. I also found that
after each area if I re-rolled the clay it worked better than just wiping it with the
same surface over and over.

When I was done, the color looked much clearer and the finish was silky smooth.
I have washed and waxed it since the process, and it took less time to wash and
the drying time was also reduced as the water basically sheeted right off the car.

I haven't used the other products that have been detailed in this thread, so I can't
offer a comparison.

Glad you saw the difference and found it to be an easy process. I'm a huge fan of clay bar applications at least once a year.

Elaine

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom