Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

hurst shifter (pooie)

The biggest problem I have with my transmission is when I shift to any gear, either up or down at higher rpm (over 4,000) it feels like I am having to stop at the gate and then the shifter goes into gear with a click. I just recently lost the hydraulics and found the fluid almost gummy and low. I have flushed and refilled several times and the clutch is working, but still have the hard shifting. The clutch is not slipping.

It's important to note some facts about C5 and C6 shifters.

With C5 there are base and Z06 shifters. The throw and effort are about the same, but the Z06 is more "stiff" though different mounting and isolation.

With C6, shift effort went down slightly, but since the shifter throw was also shortened, the net effort remained about the same. Additionally, the dog clutch and synchronizer assemblies in the TREMEC six-speeds were modified to reduce the amount of movement necessary to shift the gears, so there was an additional reduction in throw.

It is highly unlikely shortening the throw even further will result in any true decrease in time to shift.

The reason the Hurst feels "notchy" is 1) the shorter throw increases the effort necessary to move it and 2) the detent springs are too stiff.

Take the Hurst back. Reinstall your stock shifter and further improve shift feel by switching from the stock lubricant (Dexron III ATF, I believe) to Red Line Synthetic D4 ATF.

Thanks for the info, I will try the fluid change and go back to the factory shifter. This forum is the best. I will be doing lots to my z and will be on here picking evryones brains.
Thanks again

Thanks for the info, I will try the fluid change and go back to the factory shifter. This forum is the best. I will be doing lots to my z and will be on here picking evryones brains.
Thanks again

Make sure that you perform the shifter adjustment when you install the OEM shifter, it is the single most important step to smooth shifting performance. Redline D4 ATF fluid is a close second. Good luck with it.:)

Make sure that you perform the shifter adjustment when you install the OEM shifter, it is the single most important step to smooth shifting performance. Redline D4 ATF fluid is a close second. Good luck with it.:)

"LLC5" is right. I forgot to mention the shifter adjustment procedure...it's in the FSM.

I do a Redline D4atf service annual & also a shifter adjustment & also 2x a month "Ranger" clutch fluid service.

Shifts great (stock shifter) 40k miles on my z16.

:);shrug

I do a Redline D4atf service annual & also a shifter adjustment & also 2x a month "Ranger" clutch fluid service.

Shifts great (stock shifter) 40k miles on my z16.

:);shrug

Looking at your sig line, you do a lot of autoX.

For racing, I think an even better gearbox lube choice is Red line Superlight Shockproof gear lube. In fact, that's what I use on the street and it works great.

Hi Hib,

I will try it, as I am due in about 2 weeks for the service. Can you write a little about where it performs better than d4atf?

The Redline web site gives some "properties" info on d4atf but nothing similar on the superlight shockproof.

If I am hammering it hard on track day I have gotten the high tranny temp warning (once) I believe it's when the tranny reaches 274 deg f.
I will wrap the exhaust (header wrap) where it nears the tranny to drop the temps a bit, not going with tranny oil cooler as I don't do it that much. Mostly I autox.

:)

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom