Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hurst Short Throw Shifter Review

TODD L GRIFFITH

Corvette
99' MR Coupe, 04' Silverado 03' ZO6 Sold
Yes, I installed the Hurst short throw shifter Tuesday. The shifter is very easy to install. I removed the heavier springs that came on the shifter and swapped them for the alternate springs with less tension after the first test drive. Note: The spring tension is adjustable. Beware, this shifter is noisy without the stock closeout plate that needs to be modified to fit back over the new shifter. The reinstallation of this will quiet the shifter down quite a bit. On the road the shifter definitely has a shorter throw, very noticable, and the gear changes snap off very quickly and gear selection is predictable. Here is what I noticed that surprised me. Shifting through the gears is so fast, you don't have the drop in rpm's between shifts as much as with the stock shifter. The revs. stay elevated in the powerband, so when you are on it, scratching 4th and 5th gear between shifts is now happening. I'm no expert shifter, especially with the stock shift, but the Hurst shifter makes you seem like a pro. The car feels totally different now. The shifter comes with adjustable gear stops and the shifter can be shifted hard and aggressive without worrying about damaging the linkages. Is it worth $259.00 and does it work. It works very well and is worth every penny to shift alot faster. It should result in lowering your 1/4 mile ET.

Thanks for the review! The thought of getting a short throw shifter has been lurking around in the back of my mind for a while. I'm just in the opinion-gathering stage now.

You didn't happen to take any pics as you were doing the install, did you?

You say it is easy, but I know you do all kinds of mods to your car. Is this something that a very non-mechanical person could do? On a scale of 1-4 wrenches, with 4 being the hardest, how would you rate it?

Tammy

the hardest part of the shifter install is getting the old knob off. ;)
My 97 has a Hurst while my 76 has a B&M Ripper the Ripper is a very tight pattern more then the the Hurst, my Wife does not like the Ripper but can drive the Hurst. Either one is an improvement over stock, but then I have always swapped out shifters usually in the first week of ownership. ;LOL

the hardest part of the shifter install is getting the old knob off. ;)
My 97 has a Hurst while my 76 has a B&M Ripper the Ripper is a very tight pattern more then the the Hurst, my Wife does not like the Ripper but can drive the Hurst. Either one is an improvement over stock, but then I have always swapped out shifters usually in the first week of ownership. ;LOL
I hear that about the knob. For those who are not aware, the shift knob has a key below the shift pattern plate that must be removed to unscrew the shift knob. Eventually it comes out with some patience and prying. Just a few hand tools to do the job. Ms. Schroder, you should be able to handle it no problem. I don't have pics., but it's pretty straight forward. I'd give it a 1 rating.

Try this web site for your shifter mod..They have several basic mods that others may be interested in doing,and they have step by step photos..
Check it out and let me know what you think.. Good luck... Jim

Try this web site for your shifter mod..They have several basic mods that others may be interested in doing,and they have step by step photos..
Check it out and let me know what you think.. Good luck... Jim

Jim,
I think you forgot the link. :)

-Patrick

You're right, I believe I might be able to attempt that myself when the time comes.

Thanks for the link, Jim.

Tammy

Added an additional peice of sound insulation over the closeout plate yesterday. It's definitely back to the stock noise level.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom