Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Hypertech, SuperChips, Etc., Etc.,

Alex D

Corvette
2004 Coupe A4, Mag Red II
I am looking for a tuner or custom programmed pcm module...........who would you recommend??

Ed Wright, SuperChips,

vader86 said:
Ed Wright, fastchip.com

Yeah, what he said :D

I've got their chip and 160deg stat. I can tell the difference and I'm really happy with their service.

Graham

Whatever you do dont waste your money on Hypertech. They are just garbage for chips.

I have a similar question. All I want to do is turn the cooling fans on earlier. The price of these chips is kind of steep for just one change. Anyone one know a cheaper source, without hooking up a manual switch? Thanks all

HTRK-1 said:
I have a similar question. All I want to do is turn the cooling fans on earlier. The price of these chips is kind of steep for just one change. Anyone one know a cheaper source, without hooking up a manual switch? Thanks all

I'm sure someone on here could burn one for you, just to make them come on earlier.

I think -=Jeff=- does chips for some people, hes a moderator.

Otherwise youll need a switch, unless you find a hypercrap dirt cheap.

look in summit or jegs, they sell a new sensor for around $40 to turn the fans on eariler

I get concerned about the temps that the car runs in the summer. When sitting in traffic, I don't like to wait till 225 degrees for the fans to come on. It has never over heated, but I don't think there is very much room for error there. I like to cruise with the top out and windows down so, I rarely run the air conditioning (which would turn the fans on)

did you change the thermostat? going to a 160 degree, while most will say will not keep your car any cooler in stop and go, actually does to an extent.... I can explain if you want me to.

Also, if you haven't changed the thermostat out, turning the fans on earlier will help, but it makes more sense to do the stat first and see how things run.

I personally run a 160 stat, with the stock programming. The car rarely gets up to 225 anymore. It only does when I have been moving really slow in stop and go traffic, AND it is hot. If this is the case, top off or not, the A/C goes on anyway.

I haven't changed the thermostat. The stat would probably be the cheapest of the two parts to change. I think the switch will fool the computer into turning the fans on earlier. I wonder if there is a down side, like maybe the temp gauge won't be accurate with this switch. I have heard that there are several thermistors on the LT1 for different functions. I just wasn't sure what else would be affected by installing this switch. Any ideas?

I just change the program with the hypertech programmer this mornig and used all the options it gives. My LT1 has a 180° thermostat (nex monday arrives the 160°).

The simple fact that now the fan No1 turns on at 194° makes me the happyest man in town!! not to mention that the programmer put an end to a big problem that was driven me crazy and took a lot of money from me but did not solve the problem. The vette was running too rich on gas, and after the re-programming it went from 19 to 26 miles p/g. (and it runs like hell!!!)

Any way, it´s very scary for me to go around waiting to see if the fan No1 turns on when the engine is almost meltdown. It almost happen with the LT1 one week ago (broken hose), and had the same problem with my L98 3 monts ago, in this one I have a 160° thermostat BUT NO FANS SWITCH. The main thing is that working with this high temps if something goes wrong it´s better to start preying!
Just changing thermostat won´t do much. Switch or Chip but ¡TURN ON THE FANS!

Is the hypertech chip really so bad?

I was under the impression that all the chip's are almost identical anyway. Is that true?

Its not bad for the engine, but its not worth $200-300 you pay for it, when all it does is advance timing and make the fans come on sooner on the L98.

A new stat and a fan switch does the same thing and only costs like $25.

If you get a chip used, for around that price, go for it, otherwise dont be stupid and waste money.

THe power programmer for the LT1s has some features like firming shift points, fan settings, and a speedo calibrator for a different rear gear. Its closer to being worth the price you pay.

Don't bet on it.....

mike 1985 said:
look in summit or jegs, they sell a new sensor for around $40 to turn the fans on eariler

I just put one of the Summit 'Jet' ones in my '86. The front fan turns on at 190. It seems to me that it turned on lower with the factory one. I am going to reinstall it just to see, as my memory is pretty bad. But the deal is, 40 precious U.S. bucks down the drain. Then I called jet, and the stupid bunny said that I had installed the temp sensor on the wrong side. I put it in between #'s 1 and 3, which is the inside fan, because the one between #'s 6 and 8 is run by the computer. Well, Jet told me to put it in to the 6-8 hole. What the hay is going on at Jet? Anyway, if someone here on this board can burn me a chip for my '86 to turn the fans on a little sooner, I want to know.

Hey guys!

I forgot to tell you that since the 1994 LT1 you can not use a chip anymore. Since that year the vette uses a "flash" memory that needs to be re-programmed. That is why I had to use an "ebay" hypertech programmer, it was my best $ option.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom