Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I am buying another Vette

MoeJr

Corvette
Vetteless
I was wondering how you guys bought your Corvettes? Pickings for what I want are pretty slim up here in NH. I had a 77 That I had to sell a few years ago due to my lack of age and changes in NH dealer laws and I am now looking for a new ride. I found a website Corvettesdirect.com and was wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I am looking for a 75-77 with PW and Auto Trans. Any other places I can try? The local Corvette dealer up here is a total ripoff and it is very hard to get a good driver from there at a fair price. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Moe

PS looking for matching numbers and as original as possibe.

How I found my Corvette......

Moe, I found my Corvette in www.cars.com under collector section under 1982 and older. Also www.vettefinders.com is another good source. I did look at some of the websites by "Corvette Only" dealers, but only used them as a reference to get a good idea of prices and car conditons.

I was lucky as I only traveled to look at four cars before I found and purchased the one I wanted. It was discouraging at one point, but if you are persistant and resonable in your search that one car that you want is out there.

Good luck,

Moe, I got lucky and found mine in the Want Advertizer. Turned out to be a one-owner over in Hollis, NH. It took 2 months of looking and taking my mechanic on "field trips" before the 82 came along.

Guy

Theres about a half doz vette dealers within 50 miles of my house,so im lucky that way!Took about "4 months" of looking till the 78 poped up.I owned a 98 for a couple of hrs/long story!Keep looking,something will come up when you least expect it& happy hunting!!!

I married into mine.

Kenny bought it off a classic cars lot while experiencing second childhood.

After we were married, he gave my own car away without telling me, and to put out THAT fire, he gave me the 78! :D
See, sometimes crying does have advantages! :cry :L
Silver
Good luck searching for yours!

Thanks for all the help. I am gonna keep up the search. I get the Want Advertiser so I will keep looking thru that. I will try the other places you have suggested. Will keep you posted

It's been a long time since I was looking, but Hemmings Motor News used to have tons of vettes for sale (as well as everything else under the sun...)

There's also Corvette Trader which you can find at some newstands (along with the regular Car Trader and apartment guides...)

I wish I could remember now (and I'll hunt it down if you want), but there are Corvette brokers out there online that will search for the car you want. Obviously, they get a small piece of change for finding it, but I hear people have had good results from them.

Those years will be hard to find in good shape but they're out there. I was looking for the same year(s) about 8 months ago but each one was a project car and I was looking for a car as a daily driver. Finally came across the 82 and never looked back. All the sources mentioned above are right on. Keep an eye on the local paper and be prepared to travel. My 82 is a Cal car. Cost me about $800 just to transport to FL. Good luck in the search and don't forget the CACC classified and other vette forum classifieds.

:w

Great leads guys. I will check them out ASAP. I did look in the CACC Ads already. You guys are great. I am glad I have found a good forum to come to. Thanks

Moe, You may want to check out the local Vette shows too. There's always something for sale (good or bad). This Saturday there is an all day event in downtown Manchester, NH. The city is blocking off a few blocks on Elm St for a giant cruise-in. I know some Vettes will be there. Mine might be one of them. Here is a link:
http://www.hemmings.com/carclubcentral/event_detail.cfm?ID=40741

Of course you can meet us down in Carlise, PA in August. Last year I think there where over 600 for sale and this year they will have the auctions. Hitch a ride down - drive back :cool.

Guy

Moe
I also spent many months looking and I agree with 82-GUY that there was a smorgasboard at Carlisle last year, very difficult to explain the number of cars there. The range was from a mass of the resale red "I wonder what they were before vettes" to the gems that cost more than my house. There is so much there to look at and some owners are willing to take them off the fairgrounds to let you drive them. You can get temporary plates issued to you there or have it hauled home for you, at a price of course. I went armed with a flash light, mirror, pricing guides, traderonline books, maintenance books and a couple of very knowledgable friends

I spent hours and hours comparing 3 vettes there and brought an '81' home to meet my wife. I was very fortunate in that the person I bought the car from lived north of me and had to go my direction anyways so he hauled it to my door.

The second greatest thing about Carlisle is the people you meet and the stories they tell about their vette ventures. I will be visiting Carlisle this year with a different mission, PARTS, to make my 81 look younger.

Chuck

After some digging around and heavy thinking I decided to buy my Vette thru CorvettesDirect.com and have them do it up for me. It was fairly painless and all i had to do was some background checking with the BBB and the local state departments fof Louisiana. I wired him half the cost of the car plus shipping on 6-28 and he is now in the process of hunting down what i want and he will restore it to daily driver condition. States in his contract he will present the car in "excellent physical and mechanical condition". Check his website out and tell me what you think. I liked the idea of bein able to specify that I wanted all original look and what i wanted for options and stuff. I am excited. I should have the car 1st or 2nd week of August. Can't wait till he mails me and tells me what I got.

Moe

Hemmings.com has alot of quality vettes for sale. Some are listings from the agencies , Proteam ect. But many are private individuals selling their vettes for one reason or another?

I got mine from an auction, I got the top bid, but did not pay until I went to the location and tested everything out. It all worked out fine in my case.

Good luck
Tom

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom