Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I can't buy a throttle plate gasket

S

Shadowing1985v

Im having a hard time finding a gasket for under my throttle plate

Im thinking of just making one out of gasket material

3 of the auto part stores in my area didn't have them

and only one had something called a throttle body repair kit
cost 66 bucks what could be in that? what all would that include,
so they order that and im going to look inside of it, but im not going to pay 66 bucks fora gasket

I do have plans to buy a 58mm TB anyways
i'll put my plenum on the leathe and bore it out to 58 and then just buy some larger runners...

but have no plans doing this until after my car is painted

As long as the thickness is correct I don't see a problem with it. Use a caliper to find out the old gaskets thickness and compare to the cork/rubber/whatever's thickness. The studs for the plate are picky as they're machined thread so don't cross thread them or you got a whole new problem. Also they are EXACTLY the right length so if your new gasket is thinner than the old your going to leak. (Theres a problem with this ive heard with alot of aftermarket fancy throttle body plate being to thin)

IMHO Don't use "Gasket in a Can" AKA Silicone gasket. If you improperly apply it some of it may get loose inside the throttle body and start pluging stuff.

Hope that helps ya.

Also in the other threads Im going to agree with the others regarding your 30# injectors. Save them for later bro, your just going to jump into a mess of trouble.

With the injectors your going to have to run a WAY larger plenum or miniram also the computer won't know what to do except what its supposed to (It thinks you have 22-24# injectors) So your going to need a PROM burned for you.

Remember more fuel needs more air and IMO more fire (Im sold on ignition box performance) So if you start flooding you engine with fuel on a stock platform it won't have the resources to even burn it properly hence Not to much of a Horsepower Gain!

Thought Id try to lamens term what the others are trying to suggest there bud

Good Luck

Patience Grasshopper

I think you may be missing something here. You say you have 230,000 on the car and when you bought it you could spin the tires off it but after you had the engine rebuilt, it didn't run right. THERE is the starting point, something wasn't done right or set right or it would have spun the tires after the rebuild. I know this doesn't solve what you're looking for, but you have to narrow it down as everyone says, one thing at a time.

I noticed a throttle body gasket kit on the AutoZone website for about $6.

Hope this helps,

wow larry u serious

auto zone told me they couldn't order one
i knew that sounded fishy

wel i could buy a 58mm throttle body next week
and the larger runners

and then i can put the plenum on my leath and bore it to 58mm

I figure i will put the injectors on, then buy the spark thing then the other

i don't drive it much at the moment
other wise i don't need it to run 100 percent at the moment

im installing miniram next week,, so
miniram and 58mm throttle body bore out my plenum and larger runners,, that should be enough air right? or is it still not enough
I put mini ram on my engine in about 3 months

well I blew the head gasket so the guy fixed it

I was just told the engine was bored to 15 when i bought it 2 years ago

3 days after i blew the head gasket that guy fixed it,, and she never ran good since

He did my valve adjustment wrong for one
but i fixed that
my timing is 6 degrees past top dead center
but
when he put my distrubor back together he set it a tooth over from where it needed to be
so what i did was move my spark plugs over one

everyone i talked to told me this is the same
is this the same guy's i mean could it still be in my distrubor should I take a weekend and tear it down and set it right

Shadow Im confused!

im installing miniram next week
'

But

miniram and 58mm throttle body bore out my plenum and larger runners,, that should be enough air right?

Why are you doing work to your plenum and runners when your buying a miniram?!?!? The Miniram replaces those pieces! Sell the runners and plenum if you want to.

I think you better get back to TPiS's website and do some homework bud.

Now do y'all git it

This guys MAKE'S ME NUT'S

Vig!

O

I thought miniram consist of just the manafold

cause it shows just the manafold on the TPIS catalog
thanx for mentioning that

Ok, the Miniram is VERY cool for a whole bunch of reasons,

One it elminates the runners (They are built in you could say) therefore taking away another leaking orfice.

Two it has the intake manifold built into it.

Three it is a plenum replacement as well.

The miniram is a complete air intake piece. It does require new fuel rails and (While your in there) New injectors. Now to make this click they (TPiS) also offer a wire harness for our car we also require. You can put the 30# injectors on during this installation.

BUT and I mean BUT

Get a PROM burned TPiS does this no problem as well as some members here in CAC (=Jeff= can do it) ((Sorry can you do it to Vig?))

Now can you tell me what your ignition system is? Tell me the size and brand of your wires/cap/rotor/plugs and if you have a Ignition Box.

After all this leave your car alone you'll be smokin fast.

some people on this site says you need to build your engine for mini ram is this true

something about the higher rpms.
ok i will start saving up for mini ram and will do the whole thing in a month, change in plans
im going to get that vortex air thing too i think instead of building the ram air gril i guess i can't put both on, "well no one told me i couldn't yet"

see the deal is i think a few injectors were bad and i didn't wantt o buy 22 pound ones when i plans to get 30 pound ones
surely thats understandable

that really sucks that it replaces all that stuff
since i painted my runners, plenum all black and my manafold and fuel rails chrome

I think im going to machine my fuel rails to fit the miniram instead of buying them,, what do u think about that red.
I mean a fuel rail is a fuel rail i would think just as long as it fits and bolts on good

i have a stock ICM, don't have a box yet going to buy one real soon the spark plug wires are nothing speciall 8mm

and im putting the new bosch plats 4 on today

i made a gasket for my throttle plate
infact the gasket i made is better then the one on there, hehe

got it at . 26
which is standard carberator gasket material
and the same size that was on there anyways

The gasket kit from GM I believe is part number 17110845. I'm pretty sure this one includes the TB gasket & IAC gasket. I got this kit a long time ago but don't think I paid more than $10 for it.
Fel-Pro also makes them.
I bought p/n MS93160 which was a an Upper Intake Manifold Set
it included the throttle body to plenum gasket ( 60655 ) and the upper & lower plenum/runner gaskets. You might try and see if you can get just the 60655 gasket from Fel Pro considering you won't need the others with the Miniram. I paid around $18 for the kit, this was back about 5 years ago when I had a TPI car. Worst case, maybe someone else needs plenum/runner gaskets and you could sell em.
If you're using a miniram you'll need to do some trimming on the TB gasket.

Just my .02 here but I would definetly rethink the #30 injectors. I see your point about wanting to upgrade but those are going to be way too big for a stock 350 engine.
Also the miniram is a good choice, it pulls hard in the upper rpms but I don't think you'll see good results with a stock cam & heads.
If you want my advice, if you plan on keeping the stock heads & cam in the car for a while, buy a better base & runners, port the plenum, get a 52mm TB and return the injectors for #22's or #24's. The Ford SVO's work great and are only around $200. You'll need an adjustable regulator as well, with the larger injectors (#24) you'll more than likely need to lower the pressure slightly. The SVO's are rated at a lower pressure than GM, if I'm not mistaken it's around 27.5psi, where GM injectors are around 35psi.

vettn94 is right if you do keep your engine stock. However if your like me your trying to piece a engine together piece by piece doing it as you go.

Shadow if I were you, seriously consider buying the miniram and keep your injectors but put them off to the side and wait till you do the bottom end. Hell you've basicly got the motor cut in two why not put the internal goodies in? Change your head to an affordable Edelbrock performer series and look at some SLP pistons, CompuCam, and a forged crank.

(The expensive part would be the Miniram!!!)

I can't stop you from doing what you want but my advice is to start in the other direction. Crank up instead of Intake down. If you do it this way no matter what you do up top your going to be safe! (I have heard you've been looking at Nitrous)

But again Im confused have you already done your bottom end? Or was it just a repair you've done? If done giver with the Ram!

(BTW they are GORGEOUS looking!!)

i just notice a symton with my car

i fixed the vaccume leaks
new plugs in
and i notice something that might help everyone figure out whats wrong

everytime i step on the gas and accerlate the car acts diffearntly

also if I pump the gas pedal while im accelerating
like floor it then stomp on it 3 times really fast it affects my speed majorly

is this a sign of not getting enough gas?

ok when i put the miniram in i'll put those magnum rocker rams in some new push rods, a crank and a better cam, and mess with my heads
since im down there i mine as well do it all.. i had plans to do this, i just wanted to know if id have to do it. if i went with miniram or not. "Im going to buy a ATI super charger before i do NOS i just want the NOS on there to say i have it and not use it, hehe. its the last thing. Im going to put 17 inch wheels on as well 350 for the kit 300 per wheel

I just read this thing on ecklers

they said if im 100 percent unhappy with my product
i can return it with in 30 days
for a complete refund

so i'll stick them on , see what happends "only takes about an hour to do the job"

and you all know what happends,, and this will be good for all of our future knowledge

yeah i have a regulartor in the mail but i havn't gotten it yet, its adjustable ofcourse im waiting for it
i would of had the injectors in if it wasn't for the slow mailing.

yeah i bought a gasket set cost me 20 bucks bu the gasket i made fit really good, looks the same as the one i took out.

it will be a few months before i have the money to rebuild the engine since i will do more to it the just miniram

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom