Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: I feel Like I'm Putting On Spandex Stretchy Pants...Nose Bra Question

Viet Nam Vett

Corvette
65 BB 502 Cp /MSD ATOMIC EFI/ 2009-HUMMER H2
To day I went to install my New "GM" Nose bra for my 09. It's this one pictured here....although I didn't buy it from GM but from "Fred Beans"

Accessories Details

Any way after I installed the snaps on the front inner fender wells I tried to get the bra on. My 09 is in the garage and I heated it up to about 70* with my Natural Gas Fired ceiling mounted garage heater.

The bra was in the house and at room temp also about 71*. The instructions say to make sure it's warm as the bra is designed to stretch to fit tight. I could only get the two top smaps on either side to lock down. The flaps for the headlight bezel I left out so I could stretch the bra across the front. Man..this thing is way short.

I gave up trying to get the other snaps to lock in as well as the head light lockdown flaps.

Also...the clips at the top I assume go over the facia lip and connect down under the hood....The instuctions arn't very clear. That's wher I had them. Did't make any sence to clip them on he lip.

Any way...I've had a nose bra for my old 86 that worked best after you set it out in the Sun before installation. I guess that's the same deal here.

Anybody have any words of wisdom or tricks to installing this type of bra. Maybe I should wait till it gets warm outside before trying this agin. I think 15-20 min in the sun might make a diff.

:beer

When I bought a 70 coupe way back when it had a bra on it, it looked good, fit tight. I was waxing the car ,took the bra off, it had rubbed the chrome off the bumper, that was it for the bra.

I use the same bra on my '08. I start with the little plastic clips that latch on under the hood, then I go do the intake area on the nose. Once all that is done, I snap the bra to the fenders. It was a PITA the first time I put it on. Now it takes less than 5 minutes. The snaps are by far the hardest part. You just have to stretch the bra until they snap into place.

Good Luck!

:thumb Jason

I use the same bra on my '08. I start with the little plastic clips that latch on under the hood, then I go do the intake area on the nose. Once all that is done, I snap the bra to the fenders. It was a PITA the first time I put it on. Now it takes less than 5 minutes. The snaps are by far the hardest part. You just have to stretch the bra until they snap into place.

Good Luck!

:thumb Jason

Cool...Thanks Jason...I don't paln on using it that much just for the Aug -Sept trip to Carisle and Bowling Green. I'm gonna waite till it gets warmer out and bake it in the Sun first.

I guess I'll have to deal with stretching the Bra to the Fender snaps.:eek:hnoes

I just installed my nose cover the first time last week and noticed the same issue. I figured I had received the wrong size, like corvettes come in sizes. :) "Ill have a large corvette please." I snapped in the cover on one side of the fender and pulled every inch across the nose to the other fender. It was still tight but I was able to snap it in. Then it was a matter of centering and pulling the cover to line up. It fits snuggly, which is good so don't be too worried about stretching it.

Not sure on your construction, but mine had two flaps that wedge between the small gap between the headlights and the front nose section. I noticed that if not installed correctly, the flaps push down the weather stripping that is around the headlights. This would not create a secure latch for the flaps which would then flop out while driving. I now insert a thin piece of card board (from a file folder) between the weather stripping and the fiber glass section first. I then push the nose cover flap in between the card board and the fiber glass nose section so as to keep the weather stripping in place. Once the flap is seated as far as it will go, I slide out the card board. This then creates an improve friction bond for the flap which doesn't come out while driving. Hope that helps.

I just installed my nose cover the first time last week and noticed the same issue. I figured I had received the wrong size, like corvettes come in sizes. :) "Ill have a large corvette please." I snapped in the cover on one side of the fender and pulled every inch across the nose to the other fender. It was still tight but I was able to snap it in. Then it was a matter of centering and pulling the cover to line up. It fits snuggly, which is good so don't be too worried about stretching it.

Not sure on your construction, but mine had two flaps that wedge between the small gap between the headlights and the front nose section. I noticed that if not installed correctly, the flaps push down the weather stripping that is around the headlights. This would not create a secure latch for the flaps which would then flop out while driving. I now insert a thin piece of card board (from a file folder) between the weather stripping and the fiber glass section first. I then push the nose cover flap in between the card board and the fiber glass nose section so as to keep the weather stripping in place. Once the flap is seated as far as it will go, I slide out the card board. This then creates an improve friction bond for the flap which doesn't come out while driving. Hope that helps.

Last week we had a 85-90* day. So I spread the Bra out on an old shower curtain on the ground black side up. I let it heat up for about 1/2 hour. The 09 was also in the sun.

I went back and re-read the directions which said to install the top clips first under the hood and then move down to the air intake area. Then back to the headlight area and push those flaps in.. I used a piece of plastic I cut out of a container that you get in a hardware store to measure thinner in. It has a very slippery surface and is very thin. then to the snaps As "Twiget" has stated above.

I managed to stretch it and get all the snaps on both sides. After that I pulled the vette back into the garage and let it sit for about 4 days. When I removed the Bra, it seemed to hold the shape of the nose.

I think next time I install it...I'll be good.:thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom