Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I finally found it!

00fxd

Corvette
'65 Convertable
I moved to a new area 2 years ago and immediatly heard of a '58 out in a field on a road near our house. Looked and looked. Finally heard that the guy was tired of people bugging him so he moved it away from the road. I found her today, inside a garage at last. Turns out to be a '60. The guy did not chase me away 'cause I
told him I had a '65 and wasn't there to bug him about selling [altho the last part is a lie]. The car is in great shape, hardtop only, all trim and bumpers there and in good shape, seized 350, orig p/g now a 4spd, air in the tires. Kind of exciting. I'll try and get some pics. He's NOT interested in selling.

Let me guess... he's an old man and he's owned the car forever. He says he's "going to fix her up some day". His number is legion. He doesn't like people asking about the car because it reminds him that he won't get off his couch to repair it.

Some day will never come for him. Procrastinators don't see themselves for what they are. You would be stunned at the number of neat cars just rotting away while their owners only fantasize about restoring them.

Some day will never come for him. Procrastinators don't see themselves for what they are. You would be stunned at the number of neat cars just rotting away while their owners only fantasize about restoring them.

..yup, and most them are pack rats who suffer separation anxiety so theres usually various old appliances and farm machinery strewn about as well. Every one those old cars are sitting outside in fields, behind barns, under trees etc. etc. The only reason this one was moved indoors was because of the endless pestering, not concern for the car - shame.

Re:

Funny thing is, as soon as the guy croaks, his wife will sell it to the first person who comes by just to get rid of the "eyesore"...

My dad has some of that disease in him too.. He has a '76 Stingray that just sits, and I tried MANY times to either take it off his hands or even buy it off of him. He won't let it go though- However, now that I'm doing a '59 resto, he tells me "Ah, that '76 isn't a real 'Vette anyway..." So why keep it then???? All I know is the '59 will probably be back on the road before the '76.

CHEV66JB

Re:

One other question.. Do you live near the land that time forgot?? I just don't understand how someone in 2003 can have a C1 Corvette as a piece of lawn furniture. A CHEvette would be one thing.. But a CORvette???

CHEV66JB

legions of these people indeed.

Have had two simillar stories shared with me since I bought the C4 back in March.

Both were old guys who were orig. owners.
quit driving them 20-30 years ago.
Car has sat in a shed, under a tarp, at the farm, or in a barn ever since.

Both cars were local here on the coast.
Sat until the guy died. Never touched em. Widow didnt want to sell em.
And BOTH cars were given to the boyfriends of the daughters or grand kids and dissapeared off the planet.

Guess it pays to stay single and crafty! hahaha

Rain

Re: Re:

CHEV66JB said:
One other question.. Do you live near the land that time forgot?? I just don't understand how someone in 2003 can have a C1 Corvette as a piece of lawn furniture. A CHEvette would be one thing.. But a CORvette???

CHEV66JB

Actually I don't think I live in a land that time forgot. As I indicated he put it away because so many people were bugging him. This isn't such an unusual situation, it's just fun to persue them [and a little maddening]. Even closer to my house is a 'complete '69 Z28 that I guy parked in his back yard over 20 years ago. It's sunk up to the hubs. Will not sell.
Have a look at
http://www.carsinbarns.com/
There's a '58 Corvette as well as many other cars 'waiting' all over north america on that site. I particularly like the guy in the deep south with a Daytona Charger rusting away in his back yard AND THE REAR WING ON HIS PICK-UP TRUCK!
The story on the '60 is his wife and a previous husband bought it 1980. It was mostly used for a race car. It's not cut up tho and has 45k miles on it. So it's his wifes and she won't sell. He had Corvettes in the 60's including a 2-4 '57. He dosn't like the C1's and perfer's the mid-years. People back then felt that way when the new models came out and he still does.
I often wish I could see inside all old closed up garages, Like you say Jerry, we would by stunned by what we saw.
The worst part is that he told me that he was quite sure that there was another one over in the next town [dammit, the hunt resumes] as well as one in another town [purple] that sold last year.

Re:

Amazing- And believe me, I meant no disrespect to where you live. 8^] I just rarely ever see C1's at the local shows here on the DE/MD line, let alone seeing one in someone's side yard simply rotting away.

Thanks for that link too, I'm headed there now!

CHEV66JB

Speaking of packrats, I was looking to buy this house and here is what I found in the shed!! It came with the house; what the hell would I do with this? :(

bulldozerfcr.jpg

PJ67 said:
Speaking of packrats, I was looking to buy this house and here is what I found in the shed!! It came with the house; what the hell would I do with this? :(

Hi there,
Well, you could dig up some holes and bury all those old men, who will not sell their prize cars, that are rotting in their barn, or backyard.:D
Just a thought
:)

I cannot believe that was left outside to rot away. Like I said dig a hole, take it. Maybe it is stolen?

I can't do the "Cars in Barns" thing- too depressing. :(

Speaking of packrats, I was looking to buy this house and here is what I found in the shed!! It came with the house; what the hell would I do with this?

buy a trailer and learn how to use it, then use the money you make on the side to finance your next Corvette.:bang
Craig sr

Hey Mac, I look at "Cars in Barns" quite often. Always interesting.
I've been looking at the real thing for so long nothing suprises me anymore.
Ya bossvette, I'm into tractors. Got a couple around the homestead. That big b#$@%*d would be fun!

Yea it looks like he also got a livestock trailer to go with the dozer,
one mans trash is anothers treasure.
seriously, pj67, that dozer is a nice smaller size and if you take the time to learn how to use it you could make some money on the side. If you are in the snowbelt you may need it this winter:cry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom