Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I give up. What's the secret? Please help 1971 Radiator Install

Whiplash

Corvette
71 Kandy Burple Conv / 02 MY Z06
I'm almost done with all the work I started in November. The only thing left is to reinstall the radiator w/shroud, refill fluids, balance the powersteering valve, align and go.

The problem I have is installing the radiator. I got it out with now problem but can't get it back in. It's a 71, with AC, 4spd (this matters as the radiators are different depending upon the options). When I put the radiator in I have no problem but I can't get the shroud installed. I've tried from the top and from the bottom but it won't clear. We kind of muscled it out when we pulled the old radiator but I can't see forcing it into place and damaging the radiator.

The service manual mentions pulling off the hood and loosening the radiator support bracket. The problem is I can't lossen the brace. The main bolt on the passenger side is covered in a fiberglass surround that covers the condenser hoses from the compressor throught to the condenser and it cannot be removed.

I'm lost here. Please anyone else ever replace a radiator in a 71, 4spd, with A/C? If so please tell me the secret.

Thanks.

Whiplash

remove the hood by removing the hinge from the hood if you cannot remove the hinge from the body, have someone hold the hood up while doing this. I don't know about your set-up but it is usually easier if the fan and pulleys are off the waterpump also.

bossvette said:
remove the hood by removing the hinge from the hood if you cannot remove the hinge from the body, have someone hold the hood up while doing this. I don't know about your set-up but it is usually easier if the fan and pulleys are off the waterpump also.

Thanks. I know how to get the hood off. The part I can't figure out is how to remove the radiator support that's bolted between the two fenders. I've got the fan, pulley's etc off the car. I just put in the water pump and I'm hoping I don't have to pull that back off. With A/C everything's a pain.

Please keep the ideas coming.

Whiplash

Whiplash said:
Thanks. I know how to get the hood off. The part I can't figure out is how to remove the radiator support that's bolted between the two fenders. I've got the fan, pulley's etc off the car. I just put in the water pump and I'm hoping I don't have to pull that back off. With A/C everything's a pain.

Please keep the ideas coming.

Whiplash

Billagroom,

Thanks. Great link. I agree with the instructions. The only problem I have is getting to the upper radiator support frame bolt on the passenger side. It's boxed into a fiberglass housing that protects the hoses for the A/C. I can't see how I'm ever going to get in there to remove it. I guess I'd have to disconnect the hoses from the A/C and depressurize the system. The problem is I don't have an A/C service kit and I'm not planning on just disconnecting them and letting them leak into the atmosphere.

Help! I need the secret for this bolt.

Thanks

Whiplash

It may be differrent from my 75 with a/c but it was a very sad day for me. First off, it sounds like the shrouds are differrent. Mine wouldn't come out without moving the radiator/condensor support frame forward. Actually the condensor had to be removed, then I had enough room to move the frame forward enough to get the rad out. In hindsight, I may have had enough room if I removed the headlamp motors first. I was able to remove all three frame bolts on the drivers side but was unable to remove the bottom one on the pass side. It was enough to rock the frame forward, at the top, enough to get the rad out. the shroud had to come out after the rad because that lower bolt for the frame was still in place. I wonder if there hasn't been some glass work done to yours. Mine were easily accessable through the fender well. I feel your pain and best of luck.

my bottom bolts were no problem either,if you get all but the bottom out, you may be able to get it in,pump wont need to be off,but the fanblade will.

These suckers are a pain. The best way I found to work on the radistor is get a helper and remove the hood. Then the bolts through the side and bottom and the front support rod. Remove the shroud,radiator and support as one. Installation is the opposite. Look at the bottom of the support when you have it out they rust out there a lot.Also check the seals between the radiator and support.

For supprt repair,I have rewelded them in the past with success.Sometimes you have to fabricate some sheet metal pieces and weld them in or pay $250 for a new support.

Good luck

you can ge to the bolst from the outsideof the fender well
you gotta remove the tires.
when i did my 69 i just left everything loose (hand tight) i didn't remove the fan at all
i replaced the rad. suport (taht was hell on wheels)
but i did it took my time and finishe about the same time yu did
loosen the rad support from the bottom on the frame
good luck

sofast4u said:
you can ge to the bolst from the outsideof the fender well
you gotta remove the tires.
when i did my 69 i just left everything loose (hand tight) i didn't remove the fan at all
i replaced the rad. suport (taht was hell on wheels)
but i did it took my time and finishe about the same time yu did
loosen the rad support from the bottom on the frame
good luck

Lot's of good feedback. It's clearly going to be a pain. FYI. The wheels are off the fan is off the shroud and radiator are already out and I'm trying to get these back in.

Here's the rub. There are 3 bolts on each side of the radiator support which you have to remove from the wheel wells.

I can get at all three on the Driver side and only the bottom 2 on the passenger side. The top bolt on the passenger side is covered by fiberglass (inside wheel well). This fiber glass is a protective piece that covers the AC hoses that go from the engine compartment to the condenser in the nose on the other side of the radiator support frame. It is not any kind of repair/glass job as far as I can tell. It looks like it was meant to be there. I can't see how to remove this bolt.

My understanding is that I should remove the top 2 bolts on each side and rotate the radiator support frame toward the front of the car so I can drop the radiator in. If I can't get the top bolt out on the passenger side can I remove the bottom 2 on each side and rotate the bottom forward? Will the radiator install from the bottom if I do this?

It's the last thing I need to do before I fill the fluids and start it fo rthe first time in 5 months. I'm hoping to nail this down in the next day or so.

Thanks for any more comments.

Whiplash

yours must be quite different from my 76 do you mean the AC hoses go around the radiator support outside the engine compartment? Can you take a picture? I installed my radiator with the support in place and bolted, but then I have an electric fan. Still you should be able to put the shroud in just kinda sitting on the waterpump then slide the radiator in place when you are almost where you want to be line up the shroud and bolt everything down. I think I replaced my radiator before I did the TPI swap but I have done so much I cant be sure what was done when, I am one of those Old Farts with CRS

bossvette said:
yours must be quite different from my 76 do you mean the AC hoses go around the radiator support outside the engine compartment? Can you take a picture? I installed my radiator with the support in place and bolted, but then I have an electric fan. Still you should be able to put the shroud in just kinda sitting on the waterpump then slide the radiator in place when you are almost where you want to be line up the shroud and bolt everything down. I think I replaced my radiator before I did the TPI swap but I have done so much I cant be sure what was done when, I am one of those Old Farts with CRS
The factor shroud on my 75 has indentations that the front upper control arm nut fits into. Unfortunately, you can not move the shroud towards the engine far enough to get the rad out nor can you lift the shroud upward until the support frame is moved towards the front of the car.

Different Manuals

Hey Whiplash, I understand what you are describing, I just have not seen it. What manual are you using? If it is a generic Haynes type manual covering different years it may not mention this situation. Can you acquire a service manual for your specific model and year? If you have one and it doesn't mention this portal then it was more than likely added on by a previous owner.
Peace Bud :cool

bossvette said:

Thanks everyone for trying. I'll answer a few questions from several of you here. The manual I'm using is "CORVETTE 1966-82 SHOP MANUAL" by MBI Publishing Company. I also have the 1971 Assembly Manual that is not helping me too much here.

Below please find two pictures. The first is from inside the engine compartment looking toward the radiator and the second is inside the passenger wheel well. I've circled in Red the areas where 1) the AC hoses go through to the front of the car and 2) the fiberglass "boxing" that protects the hoses inside the passenger wheel well.

Hey Whiplash, I give. Mine was nothing like that. The a/c hoses just went to the outside of the radiator. I can't believe "they" (either GM or some previous owner) made it so difficult to unbolt the support. The way these radiators self destruct you would think it would be a quick change application. Bud

definatly different then my 76, I will take a picture tomorrow of the same areas for you.

I'd consider using a hole saw to access the bolt. Then fill the hole with some kind of rubber plug, like the type they use on newer cars diff's.

rgtrough said:
Hey Whiplash, I give. Mine was nothing like that. The a/c hoses just went to the outside of the radiator. I can't believe "they" (either GM or some previous owner) made it so difficult to unbolt the support. The way these radiators self destruct you would think it would be a quick change application. Bud

O.K. everyone. The radiator and shroud are in! One of my neighbors is an older retired gentleman who has worked on/restored several old cars and has had Corvettes in the past. My wife grabbed him while he was walking down the street with his wife this evening and dragged him into the garage as I was pulling off the hood. We both looked at the car for 30 minutes and poked around trying to figure this out.

At one point we were both looking at the "box" that was protecting the hoses inside the wheel well. He prodded it a bit and a piece of the "bonding" that was holding the box in place snapped off. He was shocked and a bit worried that I would be mad. After we both examined the piece that broke off more closely we realized it was just some BONDO.

It appears that either GM just bondo'd this protective box inside the wheel well or the AC is not original to the car. I've spoken to the original owner in the past and he has proclaimed this car is ALL ORIGINAL. However he owned a body shop and I'm sure he came across a few wrecked Corvettes in his day. I think he may have pulled an AC unit from another car and installed on this one. In order to run the AC lines to the condenser it appears he just drilled a whole through the wheel well in two places and ran the lines in front of the radiator to reach the condenser. If I hadn't had to replace the radiator I would never be able to tell this wasn't original. Even now I could believe this was an orignal installation done strangely from the factory.

The net net, since this "box" was just bondo'd inside the well I used a screwdriver and a little english to pry the box away from the lines. The bonding broke off cleanly and I was instantly able to reach the bolt. I moved the radiator support back as far as I could, only about 2 inches, and was able to drop the radiator in and the shroud in half way. With some strategic tugs on the support the shroud finally dropped into place without bending any of the fins on the new aluminum radiator.

So thank you very much to all of you who have helped. I would like to leave this question open to anyone with a 71 Small Block, 4 spd, with AC. If you have such a car and can take a picture of the AC hose routing from the condensor to the compressor I would very much appreciate a look at the proper installation. If what I have is not the original I would bet no one else in the world ever installed it this way. I don't have the build sheet for the car yet, won't likely drop the tank too soon, but I'd really like to know if this car came with AC or not.

Thanks again.

Whiplash

So as not to abuse the kindness of this board I'm only going to do this once to bring this message back to the top.

If anyone has a picture of the inner passenger side wheel well of a 71 Small Block 4spd with AC I would very much appreciate the comparision.

Thanks in advance.

Whiplash

Whiplash. I just found this htread. I have a '71 big block and my A/C routing is the same as what you have. I would say it is original. I was fortunate enough to get my rad in and out without moving the support, but mine has the same box affair that yours does. The difference may be that on the big block the shroud is in 2 pieces with a small bottom piece that comes off.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom