Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I give up. What's the secret? Please help 1971 Radiator Install

71LS5 said:
Whiplash. I just found this htread. I have a '71 big block and my A/C routing is the same as what you have. I would say it is original. I was fortunate enough to get my rad in and out without moving the support, but mine has the same box affair that yours does. The difference may be that on the big block the shroud is in 2 pieces with a small bottom piece that comes off.

THANKS! I'd love to see a picture. My shroud was two pieces too but there was just no way to get it in without moving the front support. I gently popped the little box off in the wheel well. To get it back to original all I need to do is put a dab of bondo behind one of the edges and press in place and it will look exactly like it did before I moved it.

I think the 350 4spd combo with AC was very similar to the BB with AC from the radiator I had to choose. If you have a picture I'd love to see it. I'm feeling better about the originality of this car now. Absolutely everything else seems to match up fine, numbers, date codes etc. The only other thing that bothered me is that the block has a 2 bolt main not a 4 bolt. The casting numbers, pad stamp, etc are all correct. I just thought all Corvettes in the early 70 were 4 bolt.

Thank you very much.

Anyone else with a 71 350 4spd AC that can comment or share pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest regards,

Whiplash

Whiplash, I'll check for some pictures this weekend and see what I can find. I'm on the road right now. Regarding 2 and 4 bolt mains, most early '70s Vettes were 2 bolt, but they hang together pretty well. Sounds like you have a great car, Steel Cities Gray is one of my favorite Vette colors.

My 72 is exactly the same as yours. You can remove and install the radiator shroud fairly easily if you remove the upper control arms and frame bolts.

Re. Radiator Support Fastener inaccessible

[I have same problem on my 70 Corvette. The upper most fastener holding the rad support in place on the passenger side is fibre glassed over. Silly question - but is only solution to cut the fibre glass? I have got the radiator out but it has been leaking and so I want to remove the support to repair and paint.

For some reason I did not see that the answer is given already i.e. cut away fibre-glass patch and re-bond in place afterwards.

Last edited:

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom