Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I got my 62 back from the body shop

IH2LOSE

Corvette
1966,and a 1962 thats almost complete
Well as some of you guys know I dropped the 62 off at the body shop on friday morning.

I had sent the body shop owner a holiday card ( shown below) and what he decided was the hood was an incorrect color (had a greenish tint to it).

55846441-9111-02000180-.jpg

To make a longstory short he requested i get him the car to correct the color.

So friday I dropped it off in the pouring rain,hit a puddle and hydro plained spun the car around a couple times only for the MSD box to fail from getting soaked.. Today I picked up the car from the shop I had to install a new msd box in the driveway of the shop as they pushed it out side so it would not get dusty (I think just to see me working in the cold) and they actually re-did the hood body lines by reworking the cars body work along the hood.The body work was good but the color match was excellent as I dont even know where they blended the paint.

They took some liberties ,but I am a real easey guy to get along with. I had placed some 454 elblems on the hood and they took them off and thru them out,they also painted the rear of the hood black to make it look like its open,
Her is a picture of the corrected hood gaps
55846068-0eb3-02000180-.jpg

And here is a picture of the rear of the hood blacked out

55846074-c67b-02000180-.jpg

Been so busy at work I havent had time to play with the car since August/September of last year,I have a list of things I have to find time to do I will post of a copy of my list with in the next few days when I get a chance

Nice picture with the Kids; Larry reminds me of rt 32 along the Delaware in Pa with the Ice falls.

mailmaninvette said:
Larry it looked good to me before they repainted it , looks
great now , a long way from a 62 with a little red paint.
How many times has it been side ways or gone around
with you ?? That is what makes these cars fun to drive.

Roy

Yup its hard to belive its the same car we were tying down on the trailer back in September 11th of 2004 (sounds like a long time ago doesnt it 17 months) I remember it like yesterday having to get a jumpstart from you guys because I left my lights on when we were strapping it down.

Been sideways alot of times but I am in control

This is only the secound time I lost the car,the first time was in my neighborhood before i realised how hard secound gear hit,and i wasnt used to the short rack in the car and over corrected and she got out from under me. This time i was driving in the pouring rain,before sun up got ontop of a puddle and completely lost it.

My wife lost the car once also with my daughter in the car, I am getting the hang of it though

Larry
with that kind of power in the car, it's a good thing you didn't drop a 572 in there! :D

BarryK said:
Larry
with that kind of power in the car, it's a good thing you didn't drop a 572 in there! :D

My problem has to do with the weight bias,as i am nose heavey and light in the rear. I am just wondering how charles is going to be able to drive his car with his monster motor

Larry, it may not be a lot of difference, but can you try moving the battery to the trunk to redistribute some weight?

BarryK said:
Larry, it may not be a lot of difference, but can you try moving the battery to the trunk to redistribute some weight?

Barry there nothing left I can re-locate to the back of the cars for better weight distribution. The only things I can do is go to the aluminum heads?

But I still have to finish off the trunk so I actually will be adding weight to the rear,2 amps,1 set of 12" subs then the trunk card boards and rugs at that point the car should be at a neutral weight distribution. I will keep you guys posted,

I keep hearing that a big block is only a hundred pounds heavier then a small block does anybody know if this is true?

Larry
you are going with TWO 12" subs in the trunk?
Well, the weight of the subs and box will definitely add weight back there along with the amps.
What kind of enclosure are you using for the subs, sealed or ported? which way are you planning on firing the subs and how do you plan on directing the sound into the cabin?

with the power needed to run two 12" subs in a converible, you may want to also strongly consider having a lage 1 or 2 farad capacitor wired into the system. Subs like a lot of power and they draw a lot of current and the sub amp needs that current very quickly when it's demanded by the subs. The large capacitor is what allows the current to be held in "reserve" and delivered very quickly to the amp when it's needed. It can help tighten up and control the sound of the bass significantly.

Hi Larry,
The pic of the car and the kids is great! Hold on to it . You'll appreciate it even more in about 10 years. I think your body guy has good judgement and obviously is very skilled at his craft. The new driving season will be upon us soon and you'll be ready to enjoy it to the fullest this year.

Gary

IH2LOSE said:
Barry there nothing left I can re-locate to the back of the cars for better weight distribution. The only things I can do is go to the aluminum heads?

Larry - Great PIctures and the car looks great.

Now as I remember, back in the 60's some manufacturers actually put weights that you bolted on in the trunk of some of their muscle cars for better weight distribution while drag racing. This of course was stuff that you just "found" in the trunk :) You could always bolt a couple lead bars back there to help get some weight on the back tires.

IH2LOSE said:

But I still have to finish off the trunk so I actually will be adding weight to the rear,2 amps,1 set of 12" subs then the trunk card boards and rugs at that point the car should be at a neutral weight distribution. I will keep you guys posted,

I keep hearing that a big block is only a hundred pounds heavier then a small block does anybody know if this is true?

Heh Larry,

Looking good.. You might try those Vinyl Bags maded for pickup trucks that you fill with water to add weight in the bed . I think they make them in different sizes and shapes. ..Or you could maybe even have a few custom made to fit in a cavity some where in the back of the vette. Then... just add water for weight. If my old fart memory serves me correctly gallon of water is approximitly 9 lbs..

Maybe even make some kind of saddle bag type shape to fit over the wheel wells inside the trunk. That would be cool... just add and subtract water for road cruzing and
or Drag racing

Here's A link....
http://www.stylinconcepts.com/parts.aspx/partfamilyid/1658

:beer

Larry,

As I said when I introduced myself in Carlisle last year, the car is flawless but I have to ask you, what kept you from going ballistic when they took the liberty of throwing the eblems away? I'm sure there's more to it than that but had it been me, I'd have had some guys dumpster diving for my stuff. None of my business but I am curious as hell.

Rowdy1 said:
As I said when I introduced myself in Carlisle last year, the car is flawless but I have to ask you, what kept you from going ballistic when they took the liberty of throwing the eblems away? I'm sure there's more to it than that but had it been me, I'd have had some guys dumpster diving for my stuff. None of my business but I am curious as hell.

Rowdy
You know I just did not take offence to it, I dont know.I figure things this way, they did not do it to hurt me.they did it because they fealt the emblems cheapened the car and they were trying to help me.

So I guess it was the spirit of it that allows me not to get angry about it.

Your 62 looks good to me, are you sure the greenish hue was not the reflection of the sticker on the windshield, "Corvettes at Carlisle"?

Thank you all for the kind comments.

Yes after it was pointed out to me I could plainly see the greenish tint to the hood.

As for adding weight to the car.

If I have to add weight to the rear just to balance it out it will absolutely kill me.

I have no problem with adding weight for needed items,stereo,finishing off the trunk,But just to add dead weight to balance it NO WAY,At that point I will resort to removing weight from the front end

I guess the easyest would be the Cast Iron heads but that is also the most exspencive one to do.

I could also relocate the transmition cooler, But I will have to see how far off balance i am after completeing the truck area.

I will keep you folks posted

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom