Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I have a water leak!

J

Jedi86

When I got home tonight from work, my father and I checked out a leak my mother spotted. We couldn't find where it came from but believe that its the water pump. I don't want my car to be in the shop again for days on end. Any suggestions? Help?

check the easy stuff first

Ensure all hose clamps are tight. Upper and lower radiator, especially, but don't forget all those little guys, too.

Hoses all in good shape? Not too soft, or cracked.

Reservoir cracked?

You didn't overfill, did you? Check coolant level hot or cold, as shown on the stick or on the res.

Coolant can travel along frame and suspension parts. Wipe her down as best you can, from below if possible, and check again tomorrow; over a dry floor.

All water leaks are not water pumps.

:w

A quick...temporary fix would be Bars Leak....but you are better off to go buy a water pump and replace it yourself. To be sure...grab a mirror and hold it under the pump....look for a hole at the bottom...if it is leaking there, the seal is gone and the pump needs to be replaced.

Can I have an AMEN brothers!!!!!

YE SHALL FIND THE LEAK...AT THE BASE OF THE WATER PUMP.....

How many miles...... how often did you do flushes?

Vig!

You can always replace it yourself. I replaced it in the '86 I used to own, and it really wasn't too bad a job.

Good luck
Tracy

A waterpump change can be scary for someone who hasn't done it before... If you can take your time, and make sure you organize the parts you take off the car so you know where they go to put things back together then the job should be easy. You also have this forum for help if you need it.

If it is the water pump, get a quality unit. I went with OEM on the 82 and avoided the horror stories of the aftermarket units.
Just my .02

Carlo

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom