Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I just got my ZR-1, too!

fhturner

Corvette
'00 Torch Red Cpe, 6spd, '90 Red/Saddle ZR-1 #279
Well, thanks to many of you on this forum, especially the extremely patient and helpful Jeff Flint, a.k.a. "Jeffvette", I finally tracked down my ideal ZR-1 and purchased it this past weekend! After more than two months of searching that began with an inspection and test drive of a surprisingly less-than-stellar '90 ZR w/ 13,500 miles @ $20K in Montgomery, AL (see Considering purchase of '90 ZR-1, have Q's...), I flew out to Dallas on Friday afternoon, and became a proud new ZR-1 owner later that evening.

I spotted the car in Hemmings' online listings, called and inquired at length about it, then reached a deal with the gentleman two weeks ago Wednesday. I was skeptical but hopeful when his reply to my inquiry about seeing pictures of the car was to just take a look at the 1990 ZR-1 brochure. I started getting nervous about the condition of the car just before I was to fly out there-- wondering if his idea of showroom condition differed from mine significantly. As I found out Friday, it did not...

The car is in terrific shape, and has been babied throughout most, if not all of its life. It is a '90 Red/Saddle, #279, and had 14,502 miles on it when I took possession. After the drive back to Birmingham from Dallas, it now has about 15,200 on the clock. There are a few minor electrical/mechanical issues that seem to be pretty common for this era (speaker squealing, headlight stubbornness), but the car is in great shape. The interior looks new, the suspension components and wheel wells attest to the fact that this car has probably seen rain only a time or two. Plus it has new Goodyear Eagle GS-Cs and a new battery, as well as electronic AC and both tops.

Man, do I love the sound of the engine and the whine of the transmission on these cars! :D Thanks again to all the folks who helped me in my search. I'm thrilled to be a ZR-1 owner!

L8r,
Fred

P.S. I need to come up with a personalized plate for the new beast. Since my C5's tag is 'GOTVET', I was thinking about 'GOTZR1' for this one. Any thoughts or suggestions?

Congrads..and no the big smile will never go away..

Whats funny is going out to check on it in the garage at all hours of the night for the first few months..
HAHA!

Enjoy and post some pics when ya get a chance
Rain and Susan

Rain said:
Whats funny is going out to check on it in the garage at all hours of the night for the first few months..
HAHA!
What's really funny is flipping on the lightswitch in the garage, seeing both the '90 ZR-1 and my 2000 coupe crammed in there (angled to fit!), and then saying to myself, "What on earth am I thinking??? I must be in-sane!" Sure is fun, though... :D

Enjoy and post some pics when ya get a chance
Here a a couple of pics taken the morning after purchase, just before I left Dallas to drive it back home. More can be found at http://fredonet.dyndns.org/fred/images/corvette1990zr1/

DSCN3183_sm.jpg

DSCN3191_sm.jpg

Adios,
Fred

P.S. Thanks for the congrats, Jeff & Wegone!

Congratulations on joining such an elite club! I'm sure that drive from Dallas back home must've been so much fun. :w

fhturner said:
Well, thanks to many of you on this forum, especially the extremely patient and helpful Jeff Flint, a.k.a. "Jeffvette", I finally tracked down my ideal ZR-1 and purchased it this past weekend! After more than two months of searching that began with an inspection and test drive of a surprisingly less-than-stellar '90 ZR w/ 13,500 miles @ $20K in Montgomery, AL (see Considering purchase of '90 ZR-1, have Q's...), I flew out to Dallas on Friday afternoon, and became a proud new ZR-1 owner later that evening.

I spotted the car in Hemmings' online listings, called and inquired at length about it, then reached a deal with the gentleman two weeks ago Wednesday. I was skeptical but hopeful when his reply to my inquiry about seeing pictures of the car was to just take a look at the 1990 ZR-1 brochure. I started getting nervous about the condition of the car just before I was to fly out there-- wondering if his idea of showroom condition differed from mine significantly. As I found out Friday, it did not...

The car is in terrific shape, and has been babied throughout most, if not all of its life. It is a '90 Red/Saddle, #279, and had 14,502 miles on it when I took possession. After the drive back to Birmingham from Dallas, it now has about 15,200 on the clock. There are a few minor electrical/mechanical issues that seem to be pretty common for this era (speaker squealing, headlight stubbornness), but the car is in great shape. The interior looks new, the suspension components and wheel wells attest to the fact that this car has probably seen rain only a time or two. Plus it has new Goodyear Eagle GS-Cs and a new battery, as well as electronic AC and both tops.

Man, do I love the sound of the engine and the whine of the transmission on these cars! :D Thanks again to all the folks who helped me in my search. I'm thrilled to be a ZR-1 owner!

L8r,
Fred

P.S. I need to come up with a personalized plate for the new beast. Since my C5's tag is 'GOTVET', I was thinking about 'GOTZR1' for this one. Any thoughts or suggestions?

GOTZR1 sounds good, and would be an added uniqueness (is that a word?) sitting next to your C5. Best wishes on your new purchase.

vettepilot

How about FRED ZR1 We're allowed 7 characters here in IL, don't know about you AL folk though.

It's nice to see another zr1 owner. I just order my plates "HAHA BYE" I was about to order "1FUNZR1"

new ZR1

I know what you mean about looking in the garage and seeing 2 vettes there. I bought my 67 427/400 coupe and the 40th anniv ZR1 the same month and I can't believe it when I look in mine. I drove my Z back from PA when I bought it and the ride was incredible.
Like your idea for the license plate. I'm gonna go with ZRGATOR for my Z, the 67 has 1967 Maryland license plates on ot because you can register original old plates to your car after you get the antique plates.

Have fun with the Z, I know I am!:beer

vettepilot said:
GOTZR1 sounds good, and would be an added uniqueness (is that a word?) sitting next to your C5. Best wishes on your new purchase.

I went with 'GOTZR1'. At some point soon, I intend to find a scenic locale, spiff both cars up (at the same time), and get a picture taken with my 'GOTVET' and 'GOTZR1' tags. :D

Welcome to the Club! :beer Yours and mine are the same color combo...mine is #0120. I just turned over 30K. My plate is EZR1DER. Stealthy! :D Exhaust work is a must....it sounds SOOOOOO awesome now! :_rock

Corsa System and Watson Headers. Kurt White Chip and K&N SCHWEET!

Hey Congrats on the ZR1....

And yes it is always good to look in the garage and see multiple corvettes!

I had one last look in my garage before I left for Iraq and 2 see 2 ZR1's sitting in there sure put a huge smile on my face!

enjoy the ZR1 it looks great!

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom