Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I keep blowing fuses !!!

yello80vette

Corvette
1980 Frost Beige Corvette
The heater blower fan stopped working on my 1980. Of course the first thing I did was check the fuse. Yep ! The fuse was burnt out. I put in a new 30 amp fuse, turned on the blower switch and heard a "Pop!" It blew another one. I removed the center console to look at the switch. The switch looks fine. With my hand I felt the wire bundle up over the steering column and there were no places it was pinched or damaged. Another electrical problem. Anyone have any ideas? I'm electrically ignorant.

Unplug the blower motor connections and see if the short disappears.

FYI, do NOT install a larger fuse than recommended by the vehicle.

OK, I did it and you were correct. I put in a new 30 amp fuse, unplugged both connections to the blower motor, turned on the ignition switch, turned on the blower switch, and the fuse DID NOT blow. Do you think this means it's time for a new blower motor ?

OK, I did it and you were correct. I put in a new 30 amp fuse, unplugged both connections to the blower motor, turned on the ignition switch, turned on the blower switch, and the fuse DID NOT blow. Do you think this means it's time for a new blower motor ?

Yes, but I would remove it first and turn it by hand to see if it moves freely.

Does the blower motor have 2 wires or one wire going directly in to it?

It has 2 wires that go to two separate connections on the outside of the housing.
It hasn't blown very well through the vents for quite a few years so I am thinking
the motor is going/went bad. If this is the problem I'm happy it's been diagnosed,
but the task of removing that blower motor I'm not looking forward to.
Could they have put it in a worse location?

Just make sure that the two separate wires aren't plugged on backwards.

The wires were on correctly. I got the old blower motor out today (the new one's on order). I was surprised when I saw that it was not the original.
It has a manufacture date of February, 2001 on it. (I bought the car in 2006.) The impeller turned easily. So now I'm concerned that it might
not be a bad motor and when I install the new one and turn on the switch, I'll still be blowing fuses.

The wires were on correctly. I got the old blower motor out today (the new one's on order). I was surprised when I saw that it was not the original.
It has a manufacture date of February, 2001 on it. (I bought the car in 2006.) The impeller turned easily. So now I'm concerned that it might
not be a bad motor and when I install the new one and turn on the switch, I'll still be blowing fuses.

It's possible that the pin connector for the blower motor, where it comes through the metal base, was touching the body of the blower motor with the harness connected.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom