Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I lost my 572

Corvette
63 Resto Coupe-Red 65 Roadster
A vehicle I recently sold, was sold with the condition that I install my 572 GM crate engine in the car. Well, with the cash involved it was a no brainer for me, but sadly I didn't even have the pleasure of hearing it run before selling it.

So to make me feel better ( VNV your gonna love this one ) I just went down to the local GM dealer, and placed an order for a replacement 572, but this time I went with the 720 HP model. :D :D :D . Before I get any chaff for ordering a street engine that will need racing fuel, please lend me your ear.

During the weekend I attended a NSRA show in VT, and spent a considerable amount of time at the GM Performance Plus display. It gave me the occasion to exchange some ideas, and obtain some valuable information.

My first questions were addressed to one of the tech people, and I inquired about the possibility of using the 720 HP on high octane ( we have 94 ) pump gas . I was told that not only was their demo run using only this type of fuel, but unless I intended to flog it on a drag strip with the appropriate slicks, that mine would never get close to running under load with a 3200 lbs Corvette.

That was all I needed to hear, ( actually that was wanted to hear ) to justify purchasing the high horsepower optioned 572.

Another item I inquired about was which automatic transmission should be considered behind one of the 572's. I was very surprised to hear that GM does not have ANY automatic transmission that would hold up under a 572, regardless of what I had seen or heard of in the past.

Anyone wishing to hear is recommendation for an automatic tranny, please send me a PM, and I will gladly inform you of our conversation.

Now for the fun part ;)

Stepinwolf

Hello Robert
I am surprised to hear that you bought the 720 hp motor.......wow
How big a cam does it have?? I think I sent you a GM video of the 572 a long time ago, If you still have it, you should post the link....that definitely will get your circulation going
Tom

you crack me up.....I think you have as much fun buying as you do selling....we are all living our lives through your postings...keep them coming!!!!

regards, Herb

ps...what do the guys do that have the twin turbo C5 Corvettes that have automatics and 1000hp? they must have some kind of auto that holds up.....just my 2 cents...

you crack me up.....I think you have as much fun buying as you do selling....we are all living our lives through your postings...keep them coming!!!!

regards, Herb

ps...what do the guys do that have the twin turbo C5 Corvettes that have automatics and 1000hp? they must have some kind of auto that holds up.....just my 2 cents...

I was told that those such as you mention above are from the General, but re-built by a third party.

Stepinwolf

quote=BADBIRDCAGE;752613]Hey Bob: Congratulations on the newly ordered motor. Hope it works out well. 720 HP. Think it's enough?

Rich[/quote]

If it's not, " Procharger " still has the solution for meager performance numbers. ;)

Stepinwolf

Bob

I would check with Bowtie overdrives or 700R4.com for a suggestions on your trans

Best of luck with the new set up.

I have a 454/425 performance crate motor running a 700R4 (that I am still trying to figure out).

My tire size is limited to the size of the front tires on a C5 and the best way to describe the car is slippery under 45 mph. I just cant get enough traction to enjoy the HP.

50 and above is real exciting because it pulls so hard.

My car is still front heavey so I feel its also unloading the rear ends traction,there is never any weight tranfer like with my 66

You need ALL EIGHT cylinders to do that??????

....AND they cut displacement back down to 2 liters...40# of boost...i think VNV is ready for this one :D

But how did GM find more than 1000 ponies with just four cylinders?

The main component of the GM Ecotech race engine is the same aluminum block that can be found living in stock '03 J-bodies and Saturn's ION and VUE. Manufactured with a lost-foam casting process that results in increased strength and decreased weight, the Ecotec in stock form uses aluminum cylinder sleeves.
Race preparation basically involves just two modifications - switching to stainless steel cylinder liners and the use of aftermarket main and head studs. So far the blocks have exceeded GM's technical director for drag racing Russ O'Blenes expectations. "We have blocks with probably 150 to 200 passes on them," he says. "We have had no structural failures to date."
All components in the engine are designed to live in the hostile 9700-rpm racing environment. That means this Ecotec turns 4000 more revs than the stock version. That astronomic engine speed called for a slight reduction in displacement from 2.2 to 2.0 liters, to limit piston speed to manageable velocities. In addition, stock balance shafts that spin at twice engine speed are honed from 4130 steel to survive 20,000-rpm racing launches.
In order to create the 1000-plus horsepower, GM called on two high-performance principles: mass quantities of fuel and air. A lightly tweaked stock head casting with aftermarket stainless valves mounted gulps the atmosphere through a custom fabricated aluminum intake manifold. Eight fuel injectors spray a methanol fuel fog back to the cylinders. "At 1000 horsepower, we run about 1200 POUNDS an hour of fuel through the motor, so four nozzles were just not enough," says O'Blenes. GM dug into its parts bin for the throttle body selecting a stock unit from a 5.3-liter V-8 GM truck. Ignition is handled by an off-the-shelf aftermarket MSD 7 system designed for a small-block Chevy.
But the biggest power adder of them all comes in the form of a quick spool up eight-inch diameter T4 Turbo charger provided by Innovative Turbo Systems. Pressurizing this 2.0-liter engine, the Turbo, with inlet air chilled by an ice-water-filled intercooler, squeezes 40 pounds of boost into the cylinders. The result is big-block race V-8 power without the displacement or speed-robbing weight.

geez Bob, why go with "only" a 572?
I forget if it's Shafiroff or one of the other motor vendors but you could go all out with a 632ci aluminum block motor if you really want some power.........
;LOL ;LOL ;LOL

EDIT: yep, it was Shafiroff. here you go, they make 2 of them, a 900hp and a 1000hp version.
http://www.ultrastreet.net/632_900_bd.asp
http://www.ultrastreet.net/632_1000_bd.asp

I wholeheartedly recommend the Shafiroff stuff, ask for Mike he's a great guy. Scott built my motor (only a 540 with almost 700HP) and I have been beating the pee out of it for about 20K miles and over a year now. Only thing that happens is bolts come loose (lots of vibration). So now I locktite everything I can and all is OK. I hope to get a continuation Cheetah soon and I will have Scott build me a killer smallblock for it. It's a no brainer, check his prices and a 2 year warranty to boot.

Best regards,
Gerry

Robert, my friend. You kill me. ;)

Regards from an exhausted Ontarian who, just today, managed to move another 30 minutes east of The Big Smoke (Toronto). ;)
did you get a bigger garage? if you didnt, what was the point in moving?;LOL

Your Right Bob..I love this one.

Go for it.. Hot Dam.. My Man...Just think of all the fun hours ahead of engineering that motor into your Vette. That's what keeps the juices flowing. That's what life is all about.....The Unusual..!! The Spice... The simple execution of even thinking about installing a Big motor into a midyear is exciting to say the least.

Gerry.. 67Heaven, IH2LOSE, Rich Lagasse, Kid_Again, Myself and many others all had that Big Torque thump in our hearts. I whish all of you guys were close by so I could cruz over on a weekend and wrench and help out. Nothing like working on a Big Block car.

Listening to Gerry talk about his Shafiroff Motor at Carlisle was very interesting. Were talking almost 700 HP in his Vette..!!! I was drooling just thing about how that would feel in my Vette.

The Key here is street manors and pump gas friendly...once you get that combo going...your havnen fun. I know I love my 502 and wet my shorts every time I step into it and feel that Torque put me back in the seat.

So.. I say Do It man... and to bad I'm not closer to you.. I'd love to hang out and help you wrench on that project.

:beer

Amen, VNV.

The camaraderie I feel with you guys here on the forum makes it all worthwhile. I, too, wish you all lived a lot closer.

I blasted down the 401 (windows wide open) after dark last evening at 95 (not kmph. ;) ) to get the car from the old place to the new, and I thought about all of you. I didn't even use the earplugs. It was 20 minutes of pure HEAVEN. :D

Amen, VNV.

The camaraderie I feel with you guys here on the forum makes it all worthwhile. I, too, wish you all lived a lot closer.

I blasted down the 401 (windows wide open) after dark last evening at 95 (not kmph. ;) ) to get the car from the old place to the new, and I thought about all of you. I didn't even use the earplugs. It was 20 minutes of pure HEAVEN. :D

Sunday after our Clubs show...I headed toward the Garden State Parkway with the intention of heading home going north bound. The sound of the 502 (Which I hadn't driven for 2 weeks) breathing thru the sweet thunder pipes was just to much adrenaline to handle for the 4 mile short ride to the next exit.

So...I went south....for a little ride.. As I entered the Parkway South onto the on ramp to the main road I did the deed....down to the floor ....and sideways I went ..pulled it back and hit the Rev Limiter.. Then slammed 2nd...sideways again.. Bang to 3rd...when I pulled my foot out I was wippen at around 100.

The rest of the ride was at the speed limit 70 MPH... Yeah I'm glad I got me a BB..:D

Robert, my friend. You kill me. ;)

Regards from an exhausted Ontarian who, just today, managed to move another 30 minutes east of The Big Smoke (Toronto). ;)

Bob, glad to see your pain is almost over.

30 minutes east of TO, hey! that make you closer to me by 30 minutes. If you keep this up in 20 years we might be neighbors

VNV we need our big toys to keep da-dren-da-lin flowing, seeing that the test-tosed-around is getting scarcer as we age. ;LOL

Stepinwolf

Amen, VNV.

Earplugs? :D We don need no stinkin earplugs! ;LOL What did you say? :confused Eh? It's GOD talking to you, only painful when the secondaries pop open:crazy .

Mark, Glad to hear that the 502 is runnin right and hard the way it should. Now that everyone is stuffin Big Inch BBs into these mids I would love to get one and stuff a screamin Shafiroff small block in one, I gotta look again but Mike said they have a killer 434 available for a mere bag of shells:eyerole . Too bad the cars are so expensive. I guess I will just have to make do with 575HP in my little 65 Nova.

Best regards,
Gerry

Earplugs? :D We don need no stinkin earplugs! ;LOL What did you say? :confused Eh? It's GOD talking to you, only painful when the secondaries pop open:crazy .

Mark, Glad to hear that the 502 is runnin right and hard the way it should. Now that everyone is stuffin Big Inch BBs into these mids I would love to get one and stuff a screamin Shafiroff small block in one, I gotta look again but Mike said they have a killer 434 available for a mere bag of shells:eyerole . Too bad the cars are so expensive. I guess I will just have to make do with 575HP in my little 65 Nova.

Best regards,
Gerry

The HP Bug is always their... Each year the Motor builders squeez a few for ponies out of these blocks. And each year we got to scratch the itch...to hold back. I can see my self down the raod maybe with a Shafiroff BB..just depends on the Cash flow and how much beer I drink..:D

The HP Bug is always their... Each year the Motor builders squeez a few for ponies out of these blocks. And each year we got to scratch the itch...to hold back. I can see my self down the raod maybe with a Shafiroff BB..just depends on the Cash flow and how much beer I drink..:D

Mark, when you do you gotta go for the 1000-1200 HP monster or you won't get any streetcred.:rotfl

gerry

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom