Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I need help!! Does anyone have ANY info on a 1993 Callaway LeMans?

Well, the only reason why I am HOPING and THINKING it's real, is because the family that owns this car are REALLY REALLY RICH. Why would they buy a fake one when they can very well afford a real one?

Ahhh who knows... If I find out anymore information I'll let you guys knows.

I hope you find this little thread a bit interesting so I'm not boring everyone to death.

Just because the car was not made until 1995 does not mean that someone couldn't have taken a earlyer car (say a 91) and sent it there for work. My friends car is a 1994 that was sent ther in 1996 or 1997 to get a conversion done to it. The only body panels that were made was the hood. The law suit stoped them before anymore were made.

Yes the emblem does look higher on the car and smaller also. It may just be the angle of the picture. Or it may not. I can not wait till this mystary is resolved.

Hey all, I'm the b/f...

Here's the pic of the back:

11752671.jpg

Differences between the car 90 Corvette ZR-1 posted and this one:

• Headlights on this car have white surrounds, not black
  • Rear has no wing
  • Rear tails have dark surrounds, not all red
  • Front emblem is too high
  • No Callaway decal on the side
  • Dual exhaust tips are split and to the side, not centered
  • Stock wheels

newlm1.jpg

But why the hell would someone do all this bodywork to a car that isn't a real Callaway?!?

The engine needs to be identified to see what the real deal is on this car, man this is so weird...

Question, do LMs come with larger rotors? If so, will the stock wheels even fit over the upgraded brakes?

You guys have been a lot of help, thanks!

GottaKnow said:
Hey all, I'm the b/f...

Here's the pic of the back:

11752671.jpg

I am wondering why the tail has those two lines down the back under the license plate opening... It almost looks like a bad cast of the mold...
re: the taillights.. I have only seen one set of "dark" lenses and that was on the prototype of the Aerobody in 89 (body was GE xenoy)
What part of the world is this car located in again?
Hope it works out :beer

If Im not mistaken the LM bodykit could be purchased just as the Aerobody kit and put on ANY C4 (84-96) I don't understand the talk of the 98 LM, as that is C5 timeline and Callaway was producing the C12 then.

My guess is that the car really isn't worth that much. Its missing the LM wheels which are probably 5-6k/set conservatively. If its a stock motored car, then basically you have a car with a damaged 10k body kit. If there was no motor work done, then the suspension and brakes are probably stock too.

The car is located in Monte Carlo and was probably purchased in England some time a while back.

What a dissapointment, I guess it's fake. Does anyone think it could ever be sold to ANYONE? Or is it just looked down upon to have a fakez? I may just tell her to forget it, she can sell it on her own.

I wouldn't call it "fake" since its a real Callaway body kit, its just not the total package. The problem would be getting the body work fixed. After all it is STILL a Vette.

the car is 100% a fake. The body is not a Callaway "body kit". Callaway didn't do LM's that way, it was the whole car or nothing. I just receve confermation from my friend here is the e-mail I sent:

I am now 100% sure that the LM in question is a fake. http://pic5.picturetrail.com/VOL83/534101/999061/11752671.jpg is for the pic of the rear end.

Here is the thread again. Let me know what you think http://corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=14209&pagenumber=3

Thanks,
Kevin

His reply:

I have read some of these threads, all 91 and older Callaway's were twin turbo's, period. I have the second to the last made. Callaway could not do a supernatural on 91's and older, only 92's and newer. All LM's are supernaturals except the speedster LM, its a twin turbo ZR-1. Remember Chevrolet changed to the LT-1 engine in 92. The rear clip in the pic looks weird. The rear lights are are not trimmed with a black "O" ring. The exhaust is really half ass. The license plate area is not correct. Callaways have back up lights on each side of the plate. The plate area is too long. I'm really surprised as to the amount of dis-information going on. A real LM is worth well in excess of $150K.
I'm convinced.

From the contact at Callaway:

I'd put money on it being an Italian fake, but need more photos to be certain, the wheels are not from us, either here or Germany, we always used OZs, not standard Corvette like the picture, talk to you soon, Good night

What motor is in this car? Try and find out. Im sure someone may want it. I maybe interested depending on price. I have a few plans for it, but who knows.

Again I am sorry that the car is a fake.

Ok let me just understand this real quick...

if it's fake, and body kits were never made like this... then where the heck did the owner get this done? Or how rather?

Thanks for everyones help on this.

Like I said there were fakes made by an Itallian/English company, I do not know the name. Callaway sued them and they were forced to stop making knock off kits but not before a few were made. This aparantly is one of them. It is a damn good knock off of the hood, I am impressed with that. But the rear bumper is not. I hope the owner didn't buy this car thinking it was a real LM. If so he (you said the owner was your friends ex-husband if I recall corectly?) has grounds for a law suit.

The "kit" is more likely then not fiberglass or something simalar to that. I am guessing that it is not carbon fiber. I was hoping that the car would come back to be real, I am sorry that it is not. Any plans on what to do with it now?

Well I got an email back from Reeves Callaway and he said he thinks it is one of the counterfeits made by a company in
Italy ( Gran Turismo) that copied our body and tried to sell them under the Callaway name. This is probably the same company your talking about Kevin. I sent him the pictures and he's gonna get back to me on that.

I guess the plan is to see if anyone is interested in buying a replica LM I guess? If it ends up being too hard to sell I'm just going to tell her to sell it herself if it ends up being too much trouble on my end.

I have no idea?

She'll probably be happy just to sell it and would be willing to consider any best offer price I guess?

If you call Callaway and talk to Joanne, just give her the VIN and she can tell you everything that was done to the car and the date that it was done. If she has no record of the VIN it's not a real callaway..period

Oh I am 99.9% positive it's fake. I emailed Reeves Callaway and he thinks its one of the counterfit LMs that were made by Gran Turismo in Italy. Which really sucks, but now I know the truth.

She's calling me tomorrow so we can talk about it and what the next move is, if she still wants me to try to sell it...and of course I won't try to lie about what this car is.. that was the whole point of this thread... so I know what I'm selling.

I've got a picture I'll post tonight of the purple LeMans that's in CT.
Theres a chevy dealer in n Attlboro, Ma that's advertising a 2000 C5 with a "Callaway Street Package" whatever that is, for sale at 46k. I Emailed the VIN to Joanne and she does not have any record of it and tells me the SuperNatural packages for C5's are still in R & D. I think I'll take mine down to the chevy dealer to check it out and show them what a real Callaway looks like:D

Better to ask and find out, then sell it as a LM when its not and get sued or something like that.

Hmm, what does a callaway street package consist of?

If it's just a body kit and nothing else then maybe another chevy dealership would want mine.

Do you have a phone number or a website for that car dealership? I should call to find out exactly what they mean by street package.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom