Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! I NEED TO GET NEW TIRES

nina kaminkow

Corvette
2005 Z51
I need to replace my tires. I have OEM on my C6 Z51. I have replaced my tires twice now. I now have 44K miles. I dont know if I want to replace with same Supercar Run Flats again. Not sure they are the best. But, they are the most expensive. What is recommeneded? I live in Southern CA. NO SNOW.
please give me your thoughts!!! Should I stay with OEM tires?
thanks for your help.;help

NO. MATTER OF FACT. I HAVE NEVER BEEN IN 6TH GEAR. I HAVE NEVER GONE OVER 80 MPH. SORRY. I MEANT 2ND TIME. SORRY!!!!!!
N

Michelin ZP

Michelins have greatly improved every Corvette I have had over the 25 years they have offered appropriate sizes.

Their ZP (run flats) provided an easily noticeable improvement on my C5. Less noise, less harshness over minor bumps, and better traction in the rain.

I'd vote for Michelin ZP's also.

Now if the Goodyear F1 D3 comes in C6 size and run-flat, that might be my first choice.

In the mean time, I'm still running the OEM GY F1 GS2's on both my C6's. Not as grippy as the SCs on the Z51 cars but much better in the wet and they last a whole lot longer.

I had GY F1 SCs on my Cadillac CTS-V and went through 2 sets of tires in 2 years. Now I'm running F1 D3 EMTs on the car and they are holding up a lot better and really good dry traction.

may i ask the cost and from where? are these better than GYSCEMT?

I'm getting the rears from the local Goodyear Gemini dealer, and they are on sale down from around $650 to $404 apiece. The fronts are $282 as priced at Sears! As far as comparing, I couldn't tell you much, I'm upgrading my 97' rim/tire package from the old EMT's and as everybody says, they are pretty noisy, but I got around 35K from them. I just called the dealer back to confirm the 19"s are runflat and he said they had ROF (run on flat) in their system. The Goodyear web site doesn't even show that size in regular or EMT. I'll know for sure on Monday when they get here!

I got the two rear tires this morning 285/35ZR19, and they do say "Run on Flat" instead of the regular "EMT". The store manager figured that might be the standard term that they use in Europe and the tire is made in Germany. The price came out to $449 each. I hope to get the fronts tomorrow and may put them on this weekend, if I don't decide to get the last few miles out of the standard EMT's.

Hi there,
First, If you are getting about 22k out of a set of F1SC, that is about average.
Second, there are equal up sides and down sides to any tire.
Personally, F1SC will give you the best stick when hot, and not as MUCH grip in the rain.
Michelin will be a better all around compromise, given that you are NOT an aggressive driver.
Now, you can also tailor your alignment specifications to give you better tire wear.
If you are not an aggressive cornering driver, this may be an option to you.
Allthebest, c4c5

Hi there,
First, If you are getting about 22k out of a set of F1SC, that is about average.
Second, there are equal up sides and down sides to any tire.
Personally, F1SC will give you the best stick when hot, and not as MUCH grip in the rain.
Michelin will be a better all around compromise, given that you are NOT an aggressive driver.
Now, you can also tailor your alignment specifications to give you better tire wear.

The parameters to tailor the alignment would be what? :confused

your c6 didnt come with SC? arent SC supposed to be the best tire?

As with your Corvette the Z51 option had the SC tire, standard suspension did not.

HI there,
Changes to Camber to as close to 0 as possible will negate the inner shoulder wear that is so prevelant.
Toe, .05 left and right to reduce scalloping of the tire edges.
Allthebest, c4c5

HI there,
Changes to Camber to as close to 0 as possible will negate the inner shoulder wear that is so prevelant.
Toe, .05 left and right to reduce scalloping of the tire edges.
Allthebest, c4c5

Would you suggest the same toe settings on the C5 when the camber is
set to zero??

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom