Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I suppose JohnZ would say "TOLD YA SO!"

Kid_Again

Corvette
65 SB Roadster, 66 BB Coupe
So, I've made no secret of the fact that I think a tripower setup just looks so damn cool that I gotta re-install it on the zz454. Well, a while ago at "the other place" both JohnZ and SWCDuke made it pretty clear that they considered trips and side pipes to be creations of the marketing department, having no place on a performance machine.

OK, their opinions are to be trusted and I said, the hell with it, I like side pipes even though i'm just a pawn in the marketing department's hands. But, even though they also had a convincing argument about the tripower being a gimmick, I just felt there was more to the story. I felt MAYBE, just maybe, those engineers were still sore at marketing for coming up with a better idea. The one thing I remembered was one of these gentlemen pointedly asking me if i EVER remember seeing a tripower setup on a legitimate race vehicle. Everybody ran/runs a single four barrel carb. Hmmmm.

OK, so I dust off my old tripower manifold, getting ready to hook up with the guy recommended by Rowdy1 to re-coat the intake and i finally notice how SMALL the carb base bores are in this manifold!!!! Geez, ain't nuttin there! The end bores are 1 5/8" in diameter and the center carb is ONLY 1 1/2". Man, if the original carbs really do flow less than 350cfm, the real volume of air flowing through the carb/manifold combination must be peanuts compared to even a modest 4bbl setup. I can FORGET about putting a 500cfm carb on the center, I'm pretty certain i can't relieve enough metal to make a difference.

No, VNV, I'm NOT going to spend the money to buy the new BG big block tripower manifold when he releases it. :hb

Aw Geez, I'm just a pawn of the marketing department afterall.

Yesiree, staring reality right in the face :eek

I know, I know....I shoulda' known.

****, yes i said a bad word here

I'd never argue with JohnZ, but I still love side exhaust, and I wish I had my tri-power back. Sold it 35 years ago for $300.00 :cry

It's not all "strictly" about performance. Vanity, puffery and intimidation all play an important role.

Watching the reactions at the stoplights, as their eyes glide along those side exhaust, works for me. :rotfl

IMG_2801-cropped-b.jpg

No, VNV, I'm NOT going to spend the money to buy the new BG big block tripower manifold when he releases it.

Then How About a Large Rat..572

rat.jpg

Real Troopers... Go For It.... There's someting to be said for Eye Candy....:D

67HEAVEN said:
I liked it better when you said you "loved us". :grinshot

Yeah.. after I posted that ..I took a chug of Moose Pee and had second thoughts... It might have sounded like I was playing for the other Team.....

Not That there's anything Wrong with That ....(Sienfeld)

If sidepipes aren't for performance, why did they put them on the Grand Sports? :confused

-Mac

Mac said:
If sidepipes aren't for performance, why did they put them on the Grand Sports? :confused

-Mac

Heh Good Question Mac..:cool

IH2LOSE said:
I belive its 2 different side pipe set ups, The side pipes on the gran sports were actually headers into pipes, The ones we have are more restrictive.

Like Larry said, which is why I'm using these 4" cannons instead of factory side exhaust. ;)

Hooker-side-mount-ceramic-500.jpg

Mac said:

-Mac

yup, as been said, there's show and then there's go and the factory street version is just eye candy...at LEAST i went with 3" Sweet Thunders and headers....JohnZ speaks highly of them and I really do like them....my pure guess is that the factory versions offer some relief for a sb but fugedaboudit for any decent big block..

I ain't done yet with the factory tripower manifold. The center mounting pad has a fair amount of meat around the bores, the end carbs less so. Once I take a critical look at the intake runners (promised to SWCDuke quite a while ago), I may go into "R&D" mode with a mill. Then again, I just may use a Mk1 hammer and chisel.:mad

Mac said:

-Mac

Mac, 'cuz the sidepipes on the Grand Sports were just great big open pipes with no baffles or mufflers, just like the GM over-the-counter headers and 4" open sidepipes for the L-88's - zero restriction, which lets the headers work.

GSscan3.jpg

:beer

I was hoping I could trick you into posting another picture of her, John!

So how do standard factory sidepipes compare to the stock underbody exhaust system re: restriction?

-Mac

Mac said:
I was hoping I could trick you into posting another picture of her, John!

So how do standard factory sidepipes compare to the stock underbody exhaust system re: restriction?

-Mac

Factory sidepipes are 1-7/8" I.D., and are effectively slightly less than that due to the turbulent surface flow caused by the perforations in the inner tube; the stock undercar exhaust pipes are 2-1/2" I.D., with laminar flow. The factory sidepipes are more restrictive. But they look cool and sound great :cool

...... ;worship

...ok, maybe i'm not giving up so soon.....perhaps a 350cfm in the center and 500's on the ends.......Hmmmmmm

Jerry Luck built us a 489 BB with AFR heads for one of the magazine project cars, and dynoed it with three different intakes - buildup and results are in the latest (May) issue of "Corvette Enthusiast":

Holley Strip Dominator intake, 950HP carb: 641hp @ 6400, 603 ft-lbs. @ 5100.

Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap, same carb: 643hp @ 6400, 594 ft-lbs. @ 5100.

GM 3x2 intake & carbs: 655hp @ 6200, 591 ft-lbs. @ 5100.

Although the center carb is 350CFM and the ends are 500 CFM, the dyno shop felt it was still starving for air, and based on their past experience, would probably make 700hp with a single 1150 Dominator.

The side pipes could improve performance by bypassing the restrictive turns getting to the back bumpers if large enough. The tripower manifold is another deal altogether, though it does certainly add cool factor! On a flow bench it would produce terrible numbers. The runners aren't straight enough and the short runner lengths would not do anything for an engine that was otherwise tuned for relatively low speed power.

Regards, Greg

JohnZ said:
Jerry Luck built us a 489 BB with AFR heads for one of the magazine project cars, and dynoed it with three different intakes - buildup and results are in the latest (May) issue of "Corvette Enthusiast":

Holley Strip Dominator intake, 950HP carb: 641hp @ 6400, 603 ft-lbs. @ 5100.

Edelbrock RPM Air-Gap, same carb: 643hp @ 6400, 594 ft-lbs. @ 5100.

GM 3x2 intake & carbs: 655hp @ 6200, 591 ft-lbs. @ 5100.

Although the center carb is 350CFM and the ends are 500 CFM, the dyno shop felt it was still starving for air, and based on their past experience, would probably make 700hp with a single 1150 Dominator.

AGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

I HATE data. It only gets in the way! :hb

As always, thanks, John.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom