Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Help! I want to paint car over original lacquer? 74 White

retired ralph

Corvette
1974 White
I have an original # matching survivor. Some people say it's ashame to re paint the car, but I feel like there are too many scratches and some minor crazing in the paint. There is also some chipping on the edge of the the drivers door. I used 1200 sandpaper on one of the crazing areas and it smoothed it out with none of the primer coming thru. I really don't want to strip the whole car. I was hoping to block sand the original paint, prime with epoxy primer and block/wet sand until smooth. Use a sealer and have it painted with Urethane. Any help would be appreciated.

I can only address value retainage .The fact is original is nice and I'm a purest but the fact is Non Chrome bumper cars as a general rule won't gain much in value .There are just to many cars out there and not enough buyers with disposable income .Last summer I saw two C4's sitting in a field with grass growing around them .

I guess my advice is that if the car we're mine I'd paint it .I'd also take it to a reputable paint shop and pay more than the car is worth but thats me .C3's are great machines ,I wish you and your car the best :D

Thanks for the response.

I know they are not worth that much. I have no intension of selling the car. I'm 71 years old and just want to enjoy it. Great runner. Thats why I need advise on doing the prep myself. Thanks Ralph

I'm retired and enjoy driving my Vette daily, over the last 10 years I've gotten a few rock chips.
If you drive your car chips are going to happen. If your paint bothers you have it touched up but no one has told me Nice Vette but the chip in the front bumper kills it!
34front.jpg

I wouldn't advise painting it over the original paint - if it's crazed in places already, it's going to craze in other areas as well after you get more layers of primer, sealer, and topcoat paint on it, and when you're done, you'll have a LOT of film build on it - not a good thing.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom