Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I win the dumba** of the year award!

Legion21

Corvette
1996 Torch Red LT1 Coupe
Well I purchased a Breathless CAI from Advanced AutoCC on Wednesday, and go home to install it. As I'm drilling the holes in the radiator shroud (mind you being very careful), the drill slips and PPPPSSSSTTTT there goes my R134. So Bob is installing a new A/C condenser on Wednesday (well this will delay my Hooker LT headers by a couple of weeks). The mod ended up being fairly expensive due to my own dumbness

Greg

As an HVAC engineer allow me to say that I did that once on an indoor unit. Shyt happens.

I did something similar to a refrigerator once. Nothing like that PPPPSSSSTTTT sound and the Oh sh** reaction that you have next.

Good thing is it’s an easy fix.

B17Crew
:w

Man... sorry to hear that. (pun intended):ugh

It's that second after it happens when you contemplate the situation and want to smack yourself. ;LOL

Hurry and fix it... the headers are gonna be sweet!! :lou

DOH!!!!!!!

Man if I get away with an 'upgrade' without breaking something in the process it's a double success.

tlong said:
DOH!!!!!!!

Man if I get away with an 'upgrade' without breaking something in the process it's a double success.

Thats me. Just can't seem to leave well enough alone.

Greg not trying to be a smart arse but you know what they say about hind-sight. I've gotten to where I think about hind-sight before hand ... seems to help some.

You will love the feel and response you get from the Long Tubes.

Hrtbeat1, I didn't pull the radiator shroud to save myself some time, that was a brilliant idea. At least I know my drill bit is still sharp.

Greg

I would tell you of some of my exploits in my earlier years, but you would probably die laughing & woudn't be able to enjoy your ride.

Dayum Greg,
Sad news about the mishap. :mad

But it sounds like you're modding that vette non-stop. headers, breathless air, what's next? I bet that car is getting more fun to driver every week for ya!

I can understand your situation. Mine has lasted over two years and breaking something on the A/C is just one of dozens of missteps. I just bought the SLP CAI for my 89 and I haven't put it on yet so it looks I have yet another chance at goofing something up. At least you aren't alone.

Could have been worse. Imagine taking it to a shop and they tell you it was like that when you brought it in! At least you didn't have to pay some knucklehead to break it for you.

DMGroh said:
Could have been worse. Imagine taking it to a shop and they tell you it was like that when you brought it in! At least you didn't have to pay some knucklehead to break it for you.

My AC never worked from the day I bought it. Had it checked .... Empty ... held pressure but was empty. I never checked it when I test drove it .... it was a Vette! :upthumbs I won't get into all the "Goober" work that had been done. I like to think she is living a better life now.

That sounds like something that would happen to me. Sorry about the mishap.

I have been doing my own work for over 35 yrs and every now and then I do some lame brain thing . I blame Murphy. ;LOL;LOL

Murphy strikes again!! There is no escaping that guy. Sorry to hear about that, I've been there many times myself, I know how bad it sucks.

I seen it fixed. Now, to remove the radiator shrub :mad . Just be ready and buy a 12 pack. It could have been worst, it was not your hand.:upthumbs

I'd blame it on the one year anniversary of "Charley", no wonder you were distracted...now turn the repair claim in to FEMA, odds are they pay it!

At least something more critical wasn't damaged. I don't think I'm ready to get a drill near my vette. Not to make fun, but it's hearing something like that that keeps me from trying. I'm really afraid to screw it up.

Hope it's fixed fast!!

Jim

Greg brought it up

I wasn't going to say a thing.... :D we all make mistakes, happens to the best of us.

All is well now, and Greg's A/C is blowing cold again.

A note to potential Rammer installers...you're better off to pull the shroud (a PITA, yes) to avoid the same situation.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom