Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I would like your valuable thoughts on a '75 stingray??

S

shanonm13

I asked the owner to email me more info such as mileage, but i guess he missed that, but he did send the pics, and the vette looks gorgeous! any thoughts on this??

and to those that responded to my last post about an '81 vette with 250k miles..thank you very much for your valuable responses!!!

I chose not to buy the car because of the mileage and the price, (she was not negotiable)

but 75' vette is real cool!

Shannon,

75 huh? If it's a rag top I'd buy it in a heartbeat. The same logic applies to this '75 as did the '81. Condition, records, cost. Will you have a chance to drive it? Do so as long as you can. See if the owner will let you take it to a mechanic that you trust. But again, don't get caught up in the moment. Be sure it's what you want. Post more details and some pics if you can.

Good luck............ Nut

here is the pic of the '75 corvette that i really like!!

here is the pic..it looks really nice!

Shanon-Be careful not to get to anxious and buy the first car you look at.Take your time and look at different vettes and get a feel for the condition and price of each>you will know when you find the right one.Good Luck Pal

hi all! hope you guys and gals are having a great day!

ok..well i got a response from the guy..the ' 75 vette has 81k miles on it..i think i can negotiate to about 4500..from 5300?? what do you guys and gals think??

It's not all mileage and cost

Check maintenance records and have it 'vette-ed' by a trustworthy mechanic.
Silver

...it does look nice, but not a stock rear bumper, I am thinking. (It looks late C3 generation)

Re: It's not all mileage and cost

78SilvAnniv said:
Check maintenance records and have it 'vette-ed' by a trustworthy mechanic.
Silver

...it does look nice, but not a stock rear bumper, I am thinking. (It looks late C3 generation)

Agreed. That car is very, very similiar to the one I have and the guy I got it from told me he had put a 82 rear bumper and front spoiler on it. Ours looks perfect from 10 foot away or in pictures, but closer inspection reveals imperfections in the paint.

Bobby

I think you might have a good deal on your hands here. Just remember that unless he can prove to you that the rear trailing arms, calipers, soft brake lines, and power steering have recently been replaced, then you may need to replace these items in the near future.

Drive the car (HARD) to see if you ge side to side movement in the rear when shifting gears, letting on and off the throttle. If so, you are in for at least rear trailing arm bushings. This is expensive if going to a mechanic because they will often go ahead and soak you for the entire rear rebuild. So, $2,200 later you will have a fresh rear suspension.

Look for structural rust on the frame. Either back the car up on ramps, or go to a lift. Take a screw driver and poke at the frame rails in front of the rear tires. Surface rust is normal. There should be no soft metal in there.

Look in the windshield at the edges from the outside around the vin tag. A little surface rust and crud is okay, but if you can't even read the vin tag, or it is gone all together, you have bigger problems. Look at the bottom of the doors towards the hinge side for rust holes.

If it passes all these tests, you may have a real sweet ride on your hands for that kind of $$$$.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Don't know if this applies, but are there smog considerations in California for this vehicle? Might want to check it out if there are.

Looks good to me for the money as long as it doesn't need any major repair. The mileage might not be right either unless you can verify it. Most 7 yoa cars have 81,000 never mind a 26 yoa one.

Also make sure that red paint job is a good one and not some cheap one. It won't last long if it is cheap and paint jobs are expensive.

Ask for receipts on all work he had done so you can really see what was done and when. Also most receipts will have the mileage at the time of repair, so if it had 91,000 back in 1992 you know the mileage is wrong. Look to see if any rear end work was done as that can cost more then a new motor.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom