Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Identify this part please

entropy454

Corvette
1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe
On my 69 , the former owners hit something and broke a piece of the fiberglass off.
They didn't keep the piece and I was wondering if anyone here could answer a few questions.

Here is the picture of the broken body part.
IM002238.jpg

What is this section of the car officially called? I would call it the front body air-dam panel, but I doubt that is what its called.

Does anyone know if there are repair panels for this broken section sold by any vendor?

If not sold, how hard would a piece like this be to fix by a reputable fiberglass-capable body shop?

thanks
jim

Interesting on that page they also have this.
It kinda loks more like what Im seeing. I will go home tonight and get a better look.

Corvette Front Spoiler, 1968-1972

Thats part of the front clip or the lower valance and you have the air dam missing. If your car has a 427 you urgently need the black air dam for cooling. You can repair the missing part of the valance with fiberglass and cloth.

Went to look at it tonight. It appears to be like some said, part of the body.
It looks like I need a body man to fix it. Anyone know if its a relatively easy fix?
Also, does anyone have a picture of the air dam I am missing on a car? I have a 427 with air conditioning.
After all this, I noticed I am missing the driver's side head light cover for when the headlight is down. Just more things to add to the $list$.
Thanks for the info
jim

You can fix that yourself pretty easily. Use some cardboard covered with wax paper to back it up, clean all the paint off for 3-4" either side of the missing part, then start adding fiberglass cloth and resin a little at a time.
(Kind of a rough description, but it's really not that hard to do)

My 69 has nothing in front of the headlights like your right side does. With the lights off, you can see them thru the grill.

Wow, that is interesting, what are the odds that both of ours are missing or never had the right side cover? I didn't even realize it was there until I seen them selling the set in a catalog. I am not sure how one can even fall out, they are in thier pretty tight. Now I notice the grill on that side is missing a slat also, more $ . :)
Does your car have a seperate spoiler as shown above TimAT?

All C3 came with the spoiler and the headlight shields even the L88 & L89. The headlight shield is to prevent the bulbs from getting broken from stones hitting the glass and the shield is of course for cooling. In early pilot cars the air dam and the holes below the headlights were not there and cars overheated from lack of fresh air, the holes were introduced along with the dam for saleable vehicles.

...does anyone have a picture of the air dam I am missing on a car? I have a 427 with air conditioning....

It's in the AIM, along with a pic of the installation. All the aftermarket providers carry replacements. Ditto for the headlight shields.

:)

Ol' Red is a '68 November build 69, was originally an L-89 car, no A/C. Nothing has been removed from the front end structure except the license plate bracket. Some things added, but it's as it came from the factory. There's a factory L-88 radiator and a hand built fan shroud, but that's it.

This is before I rebuilt the front end and installed the new tires/wheels- this picture was taken in 2008- the tires here were put on in 1974.
DSC00005.jpg

That piece is part of the front lower valance.

The valance is held in place by two bonding strips on each fender. I replaced mine last summer. Yours looks like it's in relatively good shape and can be repaired.

Ol' Red is a '68 November build 69, was originally an L-89 car, no A/C. Nothing has been removed from the front end structure except the license plate bracket. Some things added, but it's as it came from the factory. There's a factory L-88 radiator and a hand built fan shroud, but that's it.

This is before I rebuilt the front end and installed the new tires/wheels- this picture was taken in 2008- the tires here were put on in 1974.
DSC00005.jpg

Nice picture, I notice no front air cowl. I dont see any front air cowl on yours either. My car dates out to march 15. Im not sure how it would fit in there.

It also sounds like the best bet is to just fix the spot not replace a huge section?

Unless here are loads of cracks in the surrounding structure of the valance, I see no reason to not repair it. 'glass is not that hard to work with and if you boo-boo, just grind it out and try again. Do some reading about building with fiberglass- lots of good information oiut there, and the material is pretty cheap. It's the finished parts that are expensive.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom