Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: identifying a couple of things on the engine

PokerJoker

Corvette
Hello everyone,

Attached are a couple of images, I was hoping you corvette guys or girls could identify a couple of things for me.;help

1. on the right side of the carburetor is something, I think maybe an electronic choke? Can you identify it for me, it looks like it should have a plug in it at the bottom...correct? I've not located that plug yet.

2. What is this red thing with wires and vacuum line running into it?

3. There's a braided cable attached to the manifold, but it wasn't hooked to anything...I just hung it over the handle of the trans dipstick for the picture. What is it and where should it be attached?

My Official shop manual and assembly manual should be here any day now! Woo Hoo :D

Thanks,

Jeff

One other thing...

The A.I.R. pump had been removed from this car, and some of the vacuum lines are plugged, and some wires are not attached (I assume that they went to the A.I.R. pump, but I've not really gotten that far...they don't look like they would fit on the carburator)...per my first question posted above.

Anyway, would I be better off, getting a new pump and trying to re-install all those lines and wires, or is it ok, to leave it off. Will leaving the pump off make my "check engine" light stay on all the time (when I actually get the check engine light working again)?

Thanks,

Jeff

the red thing on the right side of the engine has something to do with the vacuum system,
and yes the thing on the carb has to do with the electric choke.
the braided wire is a ground strap for the distributor cover that you don't have...:upthumbs:upthumbs

The red thing, if I remember correctly is (or are) the EGR solenoid's.

Groeten Peter

1. Electric choke connector

2. EGR valve solenoid switch.

3. Ground strap for radio interference. It connects to the side of the distributor shield.

I noticed my ground strap for radio interference on my 81 is also missing...Could that possibly be why my signals suck and no AM? I see a threaded stud not being used on my black plastic distributor cover. Is that what it is supposed to be attached to on one end? Man I got a lot of things disconnected under here...

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom