Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Idle stays high the goes low on my 86

T

tdr1919

Hi Guys,
When I'm pulling up to a light (decellerating, car is at operating temp 180), and take it out of gear, the RPm's stay around 1300 for a few seconds then drops down to 800.
Is this the TPS adjustment?
Thanks,
Tom

Is this a manual or automatic? I am wondering why when you take the car out of gear does the RPM's drop. Could be the IAC, could be a dirty throttle body.

Is this a manual or automatic? I am wondering why when you take the car out of gear does the RPM's drop. Could be the IAC, could be a dirty throttle body.

Manual, Vetteboy, what I mean is I take it out of gear as I'm stopping for
the light.

I have a few more questions....What does the car idle at?? Also, lets say out of gear you hold the RPMs at 2k for a minute or so, and then you take your foot off the gas. Does the RPM immediately return to idle or stay high as you describe when you are driving?

I have a similar problem with my 85 manual. When I come to a stop sign and push the clutch, the RPM's stay around 1300 until after the car comes to a complete stop. Also, going down the road if I push in the clutch the RPM's stay at 1300. This really irritates me! What I have been told is that this is how it is supposed to be - for "emission reasons". This started after replacing a failed IAC shortly after buying the car. I am going to replace the IAC again and see if it does the same thing. This might be awhile, winter hit with a vengeance - 31" of snow in just 3 days!

Every C4 stick I have driven does it including my own. I never looked it up in the book but I bet it is normal.

I have a similar problem with my 85 manual. When I come to a stop sign and push the clutch, the RPM's stay around 1300 until after the car comes to a complete stop. Also, going down the road if I push in the clutch the RPM's stay at 1300. This really irritates me! What I have been told is that this is how it is supposed to be - for "emission reasons". This started after replacing a failed IAC shortly after buying the car. I am going to replace the IAC again and see if it does the same thing. This might be awhile, winter hit with a vengeance - 31" of snow in just 3 days!
I understand you are in for more snow! you need the snow-plow option.
I am beginning to think the rpm issue is normal, on my old Starion it was due to the TPS not being adjusted properly.
-tom

If the idle drops as soon as the car is slowed to a couple mph or less, I believe that's pretty normal. I thought it was for drivability reasons, though. In case you put the car back in gear to accelerate, it'll be turning at a decent speed.

My car idles around 1,100 or so and drops to 650 as soon as the car slows down to about 2-3mph.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom