Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

IF You Could Ask Corvette Designer - Tom Peters Anything...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob

Site Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Corvette
1990 Corvette ZR-1
...what would it be?

We have a chance to conduct an interview with the C6 Corvette's designer - Tom Peters. If you could ask him anything regarding the C6 and Corvette design, what would it be? Please number your questions.

We will choose the three best questions, post them here, and Hib Halverson will conduct the interview and write a review.

I'd ask him the same thing....

What if anything is going to be done about the front license plate on the C6?

Rob said:
...what would it be?

We have a chance to conduct an interview with the C6 Corvette's designer - Tom Peters. If you could ask him anything regarding the C6 and Corvette design, what would it be? Please number your questions.

We will choose the three best questions, post them here, and Hib Halverson will conduct the interview and write a review.

theblackvette said:
What if anything is going to be done about the front license plate on the C6?
Same hear!!!!

Can you tell us anything at all about plans for a super-high performance Vette?

Erik S. Klein said:
Can you tell us anything at all about plans for a super-high performance Vette?
I second that!

Will the :w option be restored on the C6, having been omitted from the C5? ;)

What competitive vehicle(s) was (were) the bogey or benchmark for the C6's performance?

In what areas do you feel the new car meets or exceeds these goals?

What areas do you feel could be improved upon to meet these goals?

He probably wouldn't give a straight answer, but I would like to know whether there were any debates or discussions as to what styling direction the C6 and the Corvette, in general, should take. If so, it would be interesting to know what was debated. I am a big Corvette fan, but lots of COrvette fans like me are very disappointed with the C6. One day I would like to replace my C3, but the design still looks so essentially "Corvette" boy racer, whereas the C6 is so, well....... The last several issues of Corvette Magazine have carried a number of letters on the C6, and some of the opinions are downright scathing.

-Chris Kennedy
Houston, Texas

How did the Customer's desires, as expressed in GM's document "The Voice of the Customer--C6" get translated into this C6 exterior design? How did the VOC influence the exterior design? Did they do any car Clinics--if so, where/when?

Mr. Peters,
It is readily apparent by the C6 placement of the Centrally High Mounted Front License Plate Mount that there was no planning for the front plate incorporated into the early stages of the design process. Since 80 to 85% of the annual production of Corvettes will be purchased by people living in states or countries that require the use of the centrally high mounted front license plate mount your group has provided, how can you justify this oversight?

If answered that any other placement would have cost horsepower ...

First:
There are plenty of 400+HP C5s on the street with attractive LP placement. Why wasn't a design selected to provide more bottom breathing?

Second:
If the front plate was considered early in the process, then why did you commit to such a flawed front design that required the high LP placement - why not opt for a different design that could satisfy
the breathing requirements?

If answered that he recommends running without the front plate ...

Mr. Peters,
Is it GM's policy, or just your personal practice to routinely recommend that it's customers break the law and risk fines and increased insurance rates due to the limitations of the GM designs?Lastly:Mr. Peters,

If GM thought that the LP mount was good looking enough that it would be accepted by those 85% who have no choice but to use it, why was it withheld from shows and presentations until so close to the start of production?

Rob,
IMO Mr. Peters' group did a very good job on most of the C6. However, they royally messed up on this issue. It is not my desire to embarrass Mr. Peters, you or this forum. The purpose of asking the questions exactly as phrased above is to present him with an opportunity to take responsibility for the mount and indicate what corrections will be made and when. If you would be (understandably) uncomfortable asking these questions as phrased, I would offer to call, email, post, wire, ... whatever ... these questions as phrased. I think we all deserve to hear more detailed answers than we have heard so far.

Thanks,
LT

If people are so worried about looks, then its really sad.
From a functional standpoint, what else were they supposed to do? After seeing almost 20 different front end designs, this was the best solution. Especially considering the need for cooling for the ZO6. Believe this, there were alot more ugly designs than that.
Those within ranks know why, where and how. While this will be explained in alot of detail, as it was at the C6 birthday bash, by Dave Hill.
Allthebest, c4c5:hb

1. Why the large space between the top of the tires and the fender lips (the so-called "4x4" look)? I don't mean that I think the car should be lower, I'm just wondering what ill-effects, if any, would there be if the panels were tighter around the wheels.

2. Considering that the C6 doors no longer have mechanical handles and keyholes, what was the point of replacing them with solanoid panels: couldn't the door just nudge open an inch or two with the press of a fob button? I guess there is some Federal regulation involved, but IMO, the look of the C6 would be even sweeter if the doors were "shaved."

3. Why was the "double-cockpit" interior look scrapped? I'm interested in the design reasoning behind the non-symmetric, flat expanse of the passenger's side of the dash. I miss that symmetry.

Why wouldn't they?

Would you put that POS on the front of your car? :D

Ken said:
Boy, people are sure p-o'ed about the plate thing, eh? :L

LongTimer said:
Mr. Peters,
It is readily apparent by the C6 placement of the Centrally High Mounted Front License Plate Mount that there was no planning for the front plate incorporated into the early stages of the design process. Since 80 to 85% of the annual production of Corvettes will be purchased by people living in states or countries that require the use of the centrally high mounted front license plate mount your group has provided, how can you justify this oversight?

If answered that any other placement would have cost horsepower ...

First:
There are plenty of 400+HP C5s on the street with attractive LP placement. Why wasn't a design selected to provide more bottom breathing?

Second:
If the front plate was considered early in the process, then why did you commit to such a flawed front design that required the high LP placement - why not opt for a different design that could satisfy
the breathing requirements?

If answered that he recommends running without the front plate ...

Mr. Peters,
Is it GM's policy, or just your personal practice to routinely recommend that it's customers break the law and risk fines and increased insurance rates due to the limitations of the GM designs?Lastly:Mr. Peters,

If GM thought that the LP mount was good looking enough that it would be accepted by those 85% who have no choice but to use it, why was it withheld from shows and presentations until so close to the start of production?

Rob,
IMO Mr. Peters' group did a very good job on most of the C6. However, they royally messed up on this issue. It is not my desire to embarrass Mr. Peters, you or this forum. The purpose of asking the questions exactly as phrased above is to present him with an opportunity to take responsibility for the mount and indicate what corrections will be made and when. If you would be (understandably) uncomfortable asking these questions as phrased, I would offer to call, email, post, wire, ... whatever ... these questions as phrased. I think we all deserve to hear more detailed answers than we have heard so far.

Thanks,
LT
LT, all I want are simple questions. I have no intentions of directing something that is exactly paraphrased in order for him to "take responsibility" for anything.

The purpose of this whole thing is to learn a little more about the man and the C6, NOT to put him in front of a judge and jury.

I agree with Rob. I have heard a lot of criticism of the C6. I heard it about the C5 when it came out. I guess that you can't please all of the people all of the time. I happen to like the direction that the C6 has gone. There are styling cues from the previous generations, and the performance of the C6 is very close to the C5 Z06. And there is no gas guzzler tax. I think that is quite an accomplishment. Sure, I think that the license plate holder is less than ideal. It looks like an afterthought. But I commend the engineers and designers of the C6. It is a very competent automobile.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom