Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ignition timing, 1981 w/manual tran

like2drive

Corvette
1981 beige
recently switched from auto trans to a 4 speed. With gas now at $4/gal., I am in process of fine tuning. Hayes & Chilton don't give the timing for a '81, but refer you to the emission sticker on the hood. I have this sticker but it is based on having a automatic trans. It has 6 deg. BTDC as "basic timing" (?). will the timing change because of the manual trans. ?:ugh Will appreciate any come-back, and thanks in advance. Jim

The transmissions will not affect the basic timing. An automatic will need to be set at 6 BTDC in drive at 650 RPM. A standard will need to be set in neutral at 6 BTDC at 650 RPM. The difference between transmissions is the drag the torque converter produces on the engine load with the automatic, and no load with the standard.
But essentially you are setting the mechanical advance at a standard RPM.

Both should be reading a maximim advance of 36 degrees BTDC at 3000 RPM with the vacuum advance disconnected.

wishuwerehere82..

the advance is controlled by that computer on the 81. this is a HEI dist. with the four wire connector that is disconnected per emission instruction.

Should I still be shooting for 36 degrees BTDC @ 3000 rpms.? also, just started a couple minutes ago, and noticed as I increased the rpms (via carb linkage), the balancer timing mark moved forward to the ATDC markings....probably at 1000-1500 rpms. What'cha think?" jim

Set the initial timing and let the computer take it from there.
All you can do with that setup.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom