Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

ignition, valve covers and air cleaners

entropy454

Corvette
1969 Fathom Green 427 4 speed coupe
I've been looking at hundreds of 1968-1972 vettes and I've noticed a variety of ignition setups and air cleaners.
Could someone tell me what the factory had on these 4 years?

The ignition to me looks like Ive seen electronic and oints and condensor. Some seem to have a chrome topped box around the distributor. Could someone give me an idea what was correct on those?

Valve coverse- Ive seen some with chrome, some with ribbed aluminum and some plain metal and orange painted.

The air filters range from chrome generic looking aftermarket air cleaners to dual snorkel style. A few others Ive noticed look like they are round and somehow are connected to the hood. Im a little confused on which is correct for what engine.

Im trying to figure out when I look at a possible Vette to purchase how far it is from factory if it is at all.

thanks for any input.

Good guess. I am in the early stages of my research. I have some books on the way but I would think people who actually have a car in mention would be a better source than a book. Thus, that is why I am asking.

points were used until 74

the chrome thing around the distributer was the ignition shielding. it was for radio interference if i remember correctly.

valve covers
you are on your own for that one.

Your question has many answers. There were many engines offered during the period that you describe such as 327, 427, 350, 454, LT1. Most came with points distributors but some such as the LT1 came with electronic ignition. This was later adapted into some of the other engines like the L88.
All of the engines had ignition shielding but the type and amount of shielding changed from year to year.
Air cleaners also changed depending on the year and the type of engine. Some engines had tri carb set ups but most were 4 barrel Quadrajets or Holleys. All had different type air cleaners some open some dual snorkel.
Valve covers also changed based upon the engine and even the engine HP. for example in 1970 a 350 engine had painted valve covers for the 300 HP base engine, polished ribbed aluminum valve covers for the 350 HP engine and the LT1 engine, 454 engines had painted valve covers and many of these items changed for other years.

There were even some changes that took place during the model year so you might have 1 air cleaner for cars built before a certain month and a different one after.

I would suggest you purchase a book like the Richard Prince - Corvette Restoration Guide 1968-1982 and carry it with you when you go look at cars. It has many pictures and descriptions of cars and parts over the years. Is it 100% correct? Probably not but it is pretty accurate. The NCRS who have been judging cars for years still rewrite their judging guides because they learn new stuff all the time.

Enjoy the trip.

Thanks, I find it interesting they had the distributor shields on them and not any other car. I had a nova with a lot of noise ont he radio that I could never get rid of. :)

Some other goor reference books to consider.

The Corvette Fact book by M.F. Dobbins
Corvette 1968-1982 by Mueller
The Richard Prince book mentioned in the above post.
How to restore your Corvette by Richard Newton.

Thanks, I find it interesting they had the distributor shields on them and not any other car. I had a nova with a lot of noise ont he radio that I could never get rid of. :)
The small blocks had the box over the distributor and metal shields over the plug wires all the way and including covering the plugs. The big blocks had the chrome box over the distributor and a flexible stainless steel braided shielding over the plug wires all the way to the plugs. The braided shield was grounded to the chrome box at the top. Of course the chrome box was grounded to the engine. On steel body cars like your Nova the entire engine compartment is surrounded by grounded steel. Not so on the fiberglass Corvette. Sometimes people removed the resistance plug wires and replaced them with solid core wires and this caused static in steel bodied cars. Good luck on your search, Vettes are great........

Mike

I had alot of radio interference in one of my previous
cars & could never get rid of it. My workshop foreman
pointed out that my coil (which was mounted on the firewall) was the culprit and he was right & as soon
as I moved it no more noise, he also said that the coil
could also effect the gauges-He was right on that one too.:thumb
:beer
Gav

I had alot of radio interference in one of my previous
cars & could never get rid of it. My workshop foreman
pointed out that my coil (which was mounted on the firewall) was the culprit and he was right & as soon
as I moved it no more noise, he also said that the coil
could also effect the gauges-He was right on that one too.:thumb
:beer
Gav

I think that 'almost' all corvettes had some kind of shield covering the distributor cause of the electrical interference, my 1959 had a metal cover over the distributor. a really good guide to have when looking at early 70's corvettes: "Illustrated Corvette Buyers Guide" by Michael Antonick. He covers all corvettes, with styles, models and fact of the why and how each different model was and how it came about. I have the third edition which covers 1953 to 1990 in this edition. But he also shows you what to look for if a perticular model is a 'fake' and that it may appear to be say a fuel injected, but wasn't really made that way. He states that there's probably twice as many fuel injected 67 coupes out there than Chevy ever built because people make 'clones'. It's a good read if for no other reason other than to get a good education about the corvette !:thumb

The 1968-1972 Corvette Fact Book by M. F. Dobbins has pictures of everything you're wondering about. Pricey, but worth the cost of a copy.
ql507.jpg

Earlier editions have Dr. Dobbins' '68 L-88 coupe on the cover.

68-70 cars had open element air cleaners; beginning with the '71s, closed cans were used due to sound laws.

Base engine cars usually have painted valve covers; optional engine cars usually got chrome or aluminum valve covers as part of the options package.

All cars with optional radio/stereo equipment got distributor and plug wire interference shielding of bright metal. Distributor can configuration changed over the years, but the wire shields stayed essentially the same. Big block cars got braided plug wires.

All 68-72 cars came stock with point type tach drive distributors. The optioinal K66 transistor ignition is a bit different, but is not HEI.

:)

The 1968-1972 Corvette Fact Book by M. F. Dobbins has pictures of everything you're wondering about. Pricey, but worth the cost of a copy.
ql507.jpg

Earlier editions have Dr. Dobbins' '68 L-88 coupe on the cover.

68-70 cars had open element air cleaners; beginning with the '71s, closed cans were used due to sound laws.

Base engine cars usually have painted valve covers; optional engine cars usually got chrome or aluminum valve covers as part of the options package.

All cars with optional radio/stereo equipment got distributor and plug wire interference shielding of bright metal. Distributor can configuration changed over the years, but the wire shields stayed essentially the same. Big block cars got braided plug wires.

All 68-72 cars came stock with point type tach drive distributors. The optioinal K66 transistor ignition is a bit different, but is not HEI.

:)

Ahh thanks, I was wondering about the transistor ignition system option I kept hearing about. I was only aware of HEI and points setups on my other cars.

Don't worry if the car doesn't have the correct valve covers, etc, you can always change to the correct ones, or put what you want on them. I put the chev. finned covers on mine (they had painted ones) and a chromed air cover on to dress the engine a little, not too much though. If everything is clean and painted with a little chrome it appeals to me. Now others want a lot more on the engine, thats too much for me. But its your car, so put what you want, and its correct.

Due to prior experience , the less chrome for me the better. Unless it came factory with something chrome I dont want it. All the chrome I've had just flakes, rusts, or discolors even if the car doesnt get driven much. Always seems a waste of money.

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom