Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Ignition Wire Useful Life???

Mr. Chuck

Corvette
1981 Two tone silver / dr grey
I changed the ignition wires approx. 80K miles ago, doesn't anyone know of any guidelines or checks to run to determine if the wires should be replaced? If so, how can I determine what kind / mfgr of wires are a good choice? Distributor setup is still stock, except for the cap & rotor which have been replaced X-times over the 24 yrs & 125K miles I have put on the car. Car is used only as a street car in SoCal; using rapid fire plug:

80K on a set of stock wires is enough. But,my suggestion would be to get a digital volt/ohmeter (quite cheap at the local Checker/AutoZone/Pep Boys places). Remember to shake the wires, move them around, and watch the reading (if carbon core wires). Looking for less than 1K (1,000) ohms per inch of wire resistance-i.e. 24" wire, 24K ohms (or less) resistance.

As far as replacements, Summit Racing and Jeg's have good offerings that will beat the price of the Corvette markets. Taylor, Accell, MSD, etc.

Since you are there, service the flyweights under the rotor, and put a fresh cap and rotor on it. They love it...

Rick

:w

It's hard to say I think. 40K? 80K? I dunno if there really is a universal lifetime expectancy. An obvious problem like occasional 'misfire' could be a sign they need to be replaced. Another trick is on a dark night with the engine running (lights off, outdoors etc) lift the hood and look to 'see' if there is any leakage - sometimes with old wires you can really see a lot of leakage around old plugs, boots etc.

As for brands I suspect anything from the factory service replacements to the popular aftermarkets are all going to be pretty good I suspect.

Mr. Chuck said:
I changed the ignition wires approx. 80K miles ago, doesn't anyone know of any guidelines or checks to run to determine if the wires should be replaced? If so, how can I determine what kind / mfgr of wires are a good choice? Distributor setup is still stock, except for the cap & rotor which have been replaced X-times over the 24 yrs & 125K miles I have put on the car. Car is used only as a street car in SoCal; using rapid fire plug:

I agree w/ the others ... will add this. For a very nice replacement upgrade ... Accel SuperStock Spiral Core P/N 5050K is correct fit for your 81 vette w/ HEI. They're black color & $45-$50 at local parts store/Summit. I got two sets from a guy on ebay who sells ALOT of sp wire sets ...he has a lot of buy it now ... I did the buy it now at $23/set + $7 S and H ... good deal ... his ebay ID chimptoast ... no I don't know him.JACK

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom