Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

I'm stumped. PLEASE help me identify this motor.

bstrange99

I've spent 4 days searching every corner of the internet, but to no avail.

Here's the story...I've been looking around for a 350 to replace the tired 305 in my 83 half ton pickup. My aunt ended up buying, at auction, a delinquent storage unit that had two small blocks, among MANY other car items in it. both blocks were the same casting number, one with heads and one without. I measured the bore and came up with 4 inches. So I assumed they were 350's, and I bought the one with heads on it (461 double hump heads).
I started researching the casting numbers, and it appears to be a 1965 300-375 horsepower 327, possibly from a corvette.

Now, here's where the confusion comes in.
The head casting numbers are both 3782461, with dates of H175 and H185, telling me they were cast on August 17th and 18th, 1965.

The block casting number is 3782870, BUT...The pad stamp is FI205R. All the information I've found says Flint, September 20th, 1965, but the date code cast into the block is K223, meaning November 22, 1963.
WHAT"S IT ALL MEAN?
If this is a 65 vette motor with matching numbers, I really think it deserves a better home than my pickup.

Sorry for the long post, but I"m really lost on this. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Brian

Hi Brian,

Welcome to the Corvette Action Center.

All Corvette suffix codes were 2 letters up until 1970 when they went to 3 letters. Your Stamped assembly date code of F1205R indicates a 327/250 horsepower used in a full size passenger car with a manual trans (not a Corvette). It could have been either a 3 or 4 speed. No way of telling. F is a Flint block. 12 is the month (December) and 05 is the day of the month. I believe that all Flint 327s were cast 3782870 no matter what they were going in. The Dec 5 assembly date fits well with the Nov 22 casting date.

The 461 casting number heads were used on all 327s in 1965. Before that they were only on the 300 horse and up. They were made with either 1.94 intakes and 1.50 exhaust valves or 2.02 intakes and 1.60 exhaust valves depending on the application. Before 1965 the 250 horse engines got the smaller Power Pack heads that were used on the 283s. This tells us that your heads were not original to this 250 horse engine.

The bottom line is it is not a Corvette engine but still would have some value to someone restoring a car in this date range if they decked and restamped it. It is a November 1963 cast, December 1963 assembled 327/250 destined for a 1964 Chevy passenger car. Or it could be used as a good builder for your truck.

Tom

Tom,
Thanks for that information. I'm going to try to post a pic. It's not real clear. but unless roman numerals were used, the second digit in the pad stamp is clearly a capital " I ". It doesn't appear to have been re-stamped.
Thanks
Brian

Tom,
Thanks for that information. I'm going to try to post a pic. It's not real clear. but unless roman numerals were used, the second digit in the pad stamp is clearly a capital " I ". It doesn't appear to have been re-stamped.
Thanks
Brian

The Roman numeral "I" was almost always used instead of a "1" - that's very common, and legit.

:beer

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom