Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

In the market to buy my first 'Vette

BoDuke

Corvette
'04, Triple black Vert, '13 Grand Sport 3LT Coupe
Hey everyone! I'm getting closer to getting my first 'Vette :happyanim:

I've decided on specifically an '04 automatic convertible. I'm waiting for the 'perfect' triple black to come along. I was hoping for a little bit of guidance. I've researched the site extensively (I can't believe all the information on here!!), but I have just a few questions.

1. Are there any 'points of interest' I need to be aware of, or pay special attention to when looking at and inspecting the '04?

2. Should I let the 'Selective Ride Control' be a deal breaker? I plan on driving the car about 6ooo miles a year, as that is my average even on my daily driver.

3. More than likely, I will be buying the car out of state (not very many decent Vette's in Nebraska) and committing to a purchase over the phone without seeing the car before I arrive to pick it up. Are there ANY specific questions I should ask about the car, or request any particular pictures?

Any insight would be most appreciated!

-Aaron aka BoDuke

Hi Aaron welcome to the CAC....I'm just down the road on 81 from you. I can't think of any major thing on a C5 that you would look for other then the regular things.....has it been wrecked, abused in anyway, brakes and tires and paint.....are there PO mods to the engine, milage. The LS1 will run forever if taken care of so owner history is always good to know....stuff like that.

I just sold my Z51 02 and it rode fine as I expect a sports car to have a firm suspension. The base suspension may be a bit soft for you if you are going to compete with it at all. But that can be fixed also. If it has select ride great but I think those are harder to find....If you find a cherry without it I would not let it hold me back.

I just bought a 10 GS online and was somewhat nervous about it but researched the dealer and saw a ton of pics and went over the carfax. If it is not exactly what they say it is I have the right of refusal and they will refund my money, that is in the purchase agreement....Dealing with a private sale at a distance would maybe be more complicated....I have never done that.

Good luck with your search, I learned that you have to be patient and it can be frustrating to see just what you wanted and have it be sold a day before you found it......Distance is something else to consider the further away the more it costs to get it in your garage, if you go get it or they ship it to you. That also takes time I'm finding.

Hi Aaron and :welcome

A late model C5 is a good starter Vette, particularly the 03 or 04 models. Given the fact these were the end of the C5 generation run, everything learned up to that point was applied in their production. And as you've already discovered, the CAC is an excellent resource to make you an informed buyer.

I see you've already found the C5 Forum: 1997 - 2004 Corvettes
and this thread (http://www.corvetteactioncenter.com/forums/c5-general-discussion/100848-new-world-c5-corvette.html ) contains links to the Tech Center and other items of interest to a new C5 owner.

Another suggestion I'd make is this: if you buy from a dealer, check the Better Business Bureau online for any complaints against them. I bought my C5 sight unseen after researching online for testimonials or complaints regarding them. I found lots of the former and none of the latter.

Good luck with your search. If you find one you're interested in, post it here and we'll do what we can to help.
Have fun!
:wJane Ann

I Gots it!!

Hey all!!

I did it, I jumped in and got my C5 the other day :happyanim: WOW this thing is Saweet!! I picked up my dream triple black, '04 automatic vert, G92 3.15 gears (love'em!) 1SB with the QF5 wheels, B84 body molding, 48165 miles and new Eagle F1 run flats. This thing rocks!

My sister and I flew to Dallas on Saturday, took delivery of 'BAT 1', and cruised it home. What a fun car and fun trip! We stopped and met another CAC member from here in the area and I got some much needed instruction, do's, and dont's. Thanks for meeting us M, your time and information is very much appreciated!

Thanks to everyone that gave me the information I needed to help me find the quality 'Vette I was looking for. All the pointers really helped out. :thanks:

Also, thanks to CAC for having the 'Corvette buyers checklist'.:BOW I printed those 6 pages off, walked around the car SEVERAL times while following it to the letter. EXTREMELY helpful and detailed. It took me about 45 minutes to inspect it with the checklist.

Now, lets go out and see how long these F1's don't last! :lou:bu

Congratulations on your 1st vette - that triple black is a sweet & classy color combo in every generation!'
Enjoy.

-JS

Yup, Marcus is a great guy. Congrats on the purchase, looks like a great car.

Good job. You'll love your new ride.

Great to see you found the one you wanted!

Great looking Vette! Can't beat the color, that's for sure.

While driving your new Vette, please be sure to SAVE the WAVE! :w

I had to respond when I saw you had a triple black, convertible. I had a '90 and now have a '00 (both 6 speeds). I love the looks of a triple black and wouldn't have anything but a roadster.

Congrats and I wish you many enjoyable years with the car!!

Triple black Vette roadsters are in a class by themselves. My favorite Vette ever was my Uncle's triple black 62 340 horse back in the day. What a great beast. :thumb

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom