Welcome to the Corvette Forums at the Corvette Action Center!

Question: Increasing horsepower

rch105

Corvette
2000 Magnetic Red II Coupe
I'm guessing this topic has been addressed numerous times, but since I was unable to find any satisfactory answers while searching, I'll pose it in the hopes that it will benefit some of us. Taking my stock C5 (a Y2K car), what changes, in order of priority, will provide the most hp increase, yet cost the least amount of money to accomplish it? :w

Think of an engine as a big air pump. So the things you want to address first will be what will affect air coming in and going out. Intake systems and exhausts are nice ways to start and they will give you a nice power increase. Cost? Well there are so many systems and they vary in price quite a bit.
Intakes will cost $170-350
Exhaust $650-1500, or something close to this.
If you want more power put some Long tube headers on.
Long tube headers $700-1700.
They do add some nice power, though. You could also have a custom tune done (this can be done first or after exhaust).
Custom dyno tune cost $400-???
You can do more bolt ons after this, and remember as you add more power you will want to think of a tranny brace and other items to support the power. After you do simple bolt ons, you have to start looking at cams. You can make some pretty big gains with one, but again there are other things involved (retainers, springs, etc).
Cam kit $thousands (with professional install and dyno tune).
You can then put on intakes
Fast 92 intake ~$800
Fast 92 throttle body ~500.
This works well with a cam car with exhaust work. Hope this helps you some. There is no real bible to modifying an engine. I am sure many other guys have done it other ways and it worked out fine for them This is just my opinion on an easy logical way of modifying your vette motor. I have most of these things done to my car (2001 model) and it is putting over 400hp to the rear wheels at 6500 rpm. That is about 460hp at the crank. I am hoping with a little more work I can get the number to 440 at the rear wheels.:thumb

Is your car an A4 or manual? If its an A4 you will see big performance increase with a lower gear ratio and tranny tune to increase shift speed and stiffness. Its not a HP increase but it will give you some nice seat-of-the-pants performance.

Depending on your budget you can always supercharge it for a quick 150hp to the rear wheels ~$7000. That's with a self install and a tune. These can be had for much less if you look around. I found a special last week for a brand new kit $4500 not installed.

Tranny and engine tune(mail in)- $149 (East Coast Supercharging)
Rear gears- (new)~$1500 (used)~$1000 installed.

My A4 is currently getting Z06 3.42 gears and a slightly higher TC installed with the tranny tune :D.

It's an A4 with the 3.15 rear . I prefer to not change the rear ratio and am thinking about installing a Vararam VR-B2 as a starter. Anyone have any input on the Vararam's?

I'm guessing this topic has been addressed numerous times, but since I was unable to find any satisfactory answers while searching, I'll pose it in the hopes that it will benefit some of us. Taking my stock C5 (a Y2K car), what changes, in order of priority, will provide the most hp increase, yet cost the least amount of money to accomplish it? :w

i went through this series of questions concerning the C4..

the one thing you can do to increase performance the most and decrease reliability the least for the absolute best performance per dollor gain is.....

ring gear....
:beer

A cat-back exhaust w/ X pipe will add some zip. A CAI is a good idea, but only worth a few HP's, if that. You can easily modify your stock air box to emulate a Z06 type and that is free! (except for your labor) I did this and it seemed to work well.

CG

You know it Bucket, ring gear all the way. Changes the whole car. But no one listens. CAI's and catback s are great, but if you wanna move, do a ring gear mod.

You know it Bucket, ring gear all the way. Changes the whole car. But no one listens. CAI's and catback s are great, but if you wanna move, do a ring gear mod.

Great point!

While a gear change won't increase power- it certainly will give your Vette a new attitude...
:lou

I've never used a Vararam but I know many that have a love them. I'm using a SLP black wing and like it. I didn't notice much of a performance increase but after seeing how restrictive the stock air box is anything has to be better.

It's an A4 with the 3.15 rear . I prefer to not change the rear ratio and am thinking about installing a Vararam VR-B2 as a starter. Anyone have any input on the Vararam's?

Thanks for your input gang. I'm still mulling things around, but I did decide to pass on the gear change. I have a '72 Dodge Demon 340 which came with a 3.23 and I put a 3.91 in it...bad move for highway driving...tachs up way too high and gas mileage really suffered for that added "sits you back in the seat performance". Looks like the breathing lessons will come first.

you will barely notice the gear change on the highway with the overdrive in the Vette. The Demon's tranny had no overdrive. There are conversion charts on the web that you can plug the gear change ratio into and it will tell you how much higher the engine rpms will be at certain speeds.

you will barely notice the gear change on the highway with the overdrive in the Vette. The Demon's tranny had no overdrive. There are conversion charts on the web that you can plug the gear change ratio into and it will tell you how much higher the engine rpms will be at certain speeds.

Presently it has a 3.15, what would you suggest? :w

I would think, 3.42s would be a good compromise.

...provide the most hp increase, yet cost the least amount of money to accomplish it? :w
:L Look at you wanting your cake AND expecting to be able to eat it! :L

I'd skip all the hoohah and got right to the Magnussen Supercharger for the C5's. I think it's the best bang for the buck. In my unprofessional opinion, you can do all the mods listed above (including labor charges) and only end up with a fraction of what the supercharger will do for you. And the cost will be comparable or possibly even less than all the individual mods. (Note: the listed mods will allow a supercharger to work more efficiently, but even without the mods, the base performance should still blow away the cumulative enhancements of all the mods without a supercharger.)

Check out this article. It's a few years old but still relevant since we are effectively talking about the same car.

Horsepower & Money

Rick - just a caution. Speaking from experience...building up a lot of "real" horse power will cost a pile of money.
Remo:cool

Corvette Forums

Not a member of the Corvette Action Center?  Join now!  It's free!

Help support the Corvette Action Center!

Supporting Vendors

Dealers:

MacMulkin Chevrolet - The Second Largest Corvette Dealer in the Country!

Advertise with the Corvette Action Center!

Double Your Chances!

Our Partners

Back
Top Bottom